Subject: Are there any reported fakes of this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Tiberius O'Flynn
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Strength & Honour. Fortune & Glory. Fish & Chips.
mbmbmbmbmb
What with the seemingly increase in reports of Chinese fakes of popular games, I happened upon the following eBay and amazon listings of Tides of Time, being keen to purchase a copy having played and enjoyed Tides of Madness.

So there seems to be two listings on amazon.co.uk for this game, one listing has several sellers selling for a whopping 45 pounds and another listing with sellers selling for around 9 pounds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3...

Then there are some listings on eBay, looks like the same bunch of sellers as on amazon.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570....

The the colours on the one for 9 pounds amazon/ebay look washed out compared to the BGG page entry image and there is a dice tower logo on the upper right hand corner which doesn't seem to be evident on any of the other images posted here. So alarm bells started ringing in my head and although I would like to get the game, I don't want a dodgy substandard fake. Well, I'm concerned it's a fake or a new lower quality re-print. Not sure if it's worth a punt for a tenner or so. Either way, I've decided to put the kibosh on buying until I am confident that it's on the level.

Cheers for any advice lads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
I wouldn't worry about it.

1) You're comparing real-world photos of the game, with some light glare, to digital images of the cover. There would be color differences. Some retailers also convert the images badly so they lose some color data.
If scammers would try to scam you, why would they take a weird photo of the game instead of using the stock cover image provided by the publisher?

2) Newer printings of the game have the Dice Tower logo. In this case, no-one has created a new "version" for it on BGG, but I can find photos of it online. (unless they're fake!). Why would a counterfeiter add a Dice Tower logo that doesn't appear on any published copy of the game just to raise suspicion?

3) Tides of Time isn't that popular to counterfeit. A game has to be really successful to suffer from that problem.

4) The suggested retail price is USD $12.00 (listed on Portal's website) and £9.99 (according to Esdevium)..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.