Subject: Distinct actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Harper
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Here’s an example:
Everyone takes their action on the white dice and some people opt out even though they could take an X.
Then the roller takes his second, color dice action and as a result locks a row.
Then a player who had opted out of the first action decides to go ahead and take an X on the row that the roller locked, saying they decided to take that X as their first action. The motive is of course that normally they wouldn’t take an X on that number because it wasn’t ideal but if the row is going to be locked, might as well go ahead to get antother X.

My question is: based on how the rules are written, shouldn’t this not be legal? Shouldn’t once the players have made their decision on their first action, and opted not to take an X, they then can’t change their mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends how nice a game you wish to play. We usually announce if we are closing a row before people decide what to do so its not an issue with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Harper
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
We’ve been doing that too and I think that’s okay if the locking is done as a result of the first action.
The problem I have with someone changing their mind after the row is locked from the second action is I see that as a free point. And it’s possible that ends up being a deciding point at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone play the white dice or not. Everyone done? Fine. Now the active player can choose colored dice or not. If someone decides to change a previous action as a consequence of a subsequent action, well that’s just wrong and this person should not insist on doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
Everyone play the white dice or not. Everyone done? Fine. Now the active player can choose colored dice or not. If someone decides to change a previous action as a consequence of a subsequent action, well that’s just wrong and this person should not insist on doing this.

Indeed, you should also pay a bit of attention to what others are doing and if they can close a row, then you just need to take some risk by taking X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a light game, so keep it light. I would definitely let the person change their mind and if it helped them win, so be it. I’ll hope for better luck next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.