6 Posts

Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure» Forums » General

Subject: Clank!: An exploration game or a racing game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Williams
Australia
flag msg tools
From my recent experiences with Clank!, it can either be a casual exploration game or it can be a swift and intense sprint in and out. On one hand, you could have a few friends who want to get into every nook and cranny; you want to clean out all the loot before the dragon gets too cranky and walk away with a huge pack of gold and see who has the most. On the other, there's some jerk who runs in and grabs the golden bananas (wtf is up with those?!?) and runs out - forcing everyone else to do a dash-and-grab before dying.

Both cases, while hugely different experiences, are great fun. But I clearly have a preference for the exploration game.

I was wondering what others preferred and if it's at all possible to force or persuade the sprinters to take their time? (I've noted from both the games I've played and several reviews on BGG that the sprint approach has never been successful in actually winning! But that's still based on a small data set.)

Many thanks,
Peter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely more of a racing game than exploration. The race can be shorter or longer depending on how long it is until someone makes a break for the exit. Our experience is that while someone can speed up the game by grabbing the first treasure they can and getting out as fast as possible, we've never seen someone do that win or even really threaten to, so it's not pure "go as fast as you can" it's more of a push your luck and how far down can you go/long can you stay before needing to get back up to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
No one I’ve played with tried the quick grab and go approach. I can’t imagine it would often be successful. As Chris said, look at it as a push your luck game. How far can you go and how long can you stay before you NEED to exit? It’s always fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quick play is possible, just have to see how well others are doing. If they don't get enough movement early on, they an early grab that with powers that can skip crystal caves will leave others with four tight turns to gather enough points and at least stay above ground. It's a risk but can be fun do to try now and again. Often 4 turns is enough for at least one player to give the first one out a run for their money so it doesn't tend to work as a go-to strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in my group described Clank as Incan Gold with more bells and whistles. I'm kind of inclined to agree with that opinion that Clank is basically a press your luck game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Seijuro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have taught this game to a lot of people joining us on game night. There was once a possibility to end a 4p-game very early with either the orange side of the base game or one of the maps of the ST expansion with 2 ladders showing up on my turn very early. I didn't, because it would really turn people off of the game. Kids playing Clank did try the grab and dash approach and weren't successful at all.

Our group usually explores and then needs to race out, because of the amount of cubes in the bag. I once had a 4 player game in which everyone died underground. The last person trying to get out survived a 9-cube dragon attack (dead player on last place + an extra from one of the monsters.) His damagetrack was at 9, no potions, no swords left. He had 1 boot to escape the dungeon, but could only go through a monster in the tunnel, so he couldn't take it... it was a very tense and fantastic experience, with an underwhelming score of 0, 0, 0, 0...

So very much agree with the previous reply : press your luck (but not too much preferably).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.