Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here’s my dilemma.

I have the main game but haven’t got round to playing it yet, finding time, opponents and priority over all the other games I have is a challenge.

Now despite this I would like to have the BAOR, because I am British.

A few obstacles though

1 - I haven’t even played the main game yet, will it just sit in the box unplayed, and once you look beyond the different vechicle names and slightly different vehicle shapes will it actually be any different.

2 - quite expensive, even on P500 it comes in at $65

3 - and then there is FRG. Is it okay to buy BAOR on its own or do I need to buy both. BTW not from a gameplay point of view, I know they are independent of each other, but from a completist point of view. And then there are the Canadians on the horizon.

Oh what to do?

Another question?

Do any scenarios combine the British and the Germans, or are they totally independent of each other?

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive still not played MBT but I’ve still P500ed BAOR and FRG (which both just charged btw) so I’m in almost the same boat as you.

I do intend on playing them at some point, but there’s a lot of pleasure to be gained just from looking at the components, comparing different tank data cards etc. And the basic rules are actually pretty easy to play so don’t think you’ll never get round to it.

I’m happy to get the two expansions as they cover a part of gaming that usually doesn’t get much love. I seem to remember GDW’s Assault series, and the World at War series from LNL having Brits and Germans, but they’re at a bigger scale.

So I think you should get them :-) You might not get another chance. Plus you can always sell them afterwards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lunney
Australia
Glenmore Park
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as there is VASSAL you will have opponents.

Having played a few basic games of MBT, playing live on VASSAL using skype would be the best alternative to FTF - PBEM for MBT doesn't seem practical.

I've got BAOR and FRG on the way and experience many of the same issues.

I have no idea about the contents and scenarios - but I really want to command a Leopard 2 - one of my all time favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been on the fence about these expansions too, especially BAOR. I too have MBT and haven't played it yet. I need to make some notes on the game, as I find the rule book quite daunting and I'm not sure I want to teach it.

Karl, if you want to play a game sometime let me know as I'm not too far away in Nottingham and I could get up to Lincoln.

Also checking the current price on GMTs site, BAOR is slightly cheaper buying it direct with EU shipping than waiting for release (Second Chance Games) have it for about £52 before postage

I did commit to getting BAOR too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pretty much decided on BAOR even though I think it is pretty expensive for an expansion and I have doubts whether I will ever do anything with it.
The question is whether I go for FRG too.

I too like the Leopard but do I like it that much.

Questions that I am unsure about

1) In reality will FRG be that much different to BAOR

2) Are there any scenarios that combine German and British forces or will it be two totally independent expansions

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
2) Are there any scenarios that combine German and British forces or will it be two totally independent expansions.

Since one expansion doesn't require the other, as is listed in their descriptions, there are no common scenarios. FRG does have a common scenario with US forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll send you a PM Andy

peltazoid wrote:
I have been on the fence about these expansions too, especially BAOR. I too have MBT and haven't played it yet. I need to make some notes on the game, as I find the rule book quite daunting and I'm not sure I want to teach it.

Karl, if you want to play a game sometime let me know as I'm not too far away in Nottingham and I could get up to Lincoln.

Also checking the current price on GMTs site, BAOR is slightly cheaper buying it direct with EU shipping than waiting for release (Second Chance Games) have it for about £52 before postage

I did commit to getting BAOR too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mongoose27 wrote:
nheather wrote:
2) Are there any scenarios that combine German and British forces or will it be two totally independent expansions.

Since one expansion doesn't require the other, as is listed in their descriptions, there are no common scenarios. FRG does have a common scenario with US forces.

Thanks,

I suspect there will be some fan-based ones developed but this has pretty much made up my mind - just going to get BAOR.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with GMT lately is that they move into a DLC type model - that means many smaller expansions offering some new scenarios/units/maps but with some duplicate material.

Now these expansions would be fine if they were priced around $30-40. But at $65 (€60 + shipping in Europe) - the cost of a new game - they are quite expensive for what they offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.