Spirit Island» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Kingdom of England strategies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a followup to the thread someone posted about high-level Sweden play, I wanted to get some thoughts/tips against fighting high-level England (levels 4-6).

I had some success when playing with strong mid/late game spirits like Keeper.
I struggled a lot playing with the promo-spirits (Serpent doesn't really come online until turns 8-9, and Wildfire starts off strong but struggles in the mid-game when the troubled lands all have blight and moving presence there would cause cascades).

So far I tried the following:
- if there is a way to avoid a build (i.e. a land with an explorer and not adjacent to 2+ buildings) I prioritise that.
- try to defend ravages (but it gets harder and harder as you will usually have to deal with two ravages per board, some of them having a ton of invader strength
- try to get powerful major powers that can clear a land with a lot of buildings. but some spirits just can't consistently generate the energy required to play these, and/or able to reclaim easily to play them again.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a completed PBF game I played against level 6 England:
PBF 009 - For Her Majesty The Queen (Complete)
You can take a look at that for ideas. (I think we didn't even let the Blight card flip.)

Going through your strategies:
nobody82b wrote:
- if there is a way to avoid a build (i.e. a land with an explorer and not adjacent to 2+ buildings) I prioritise that.
Absolutely! But (I'm sure you've noticed) usually there aren't many such lands.
Quote:
- try to defend ravages (but it gets harder and harder as you will usually have to deal with two ravages per board, some of them having a ton of invader strength
Yes, as for any Adversary. The after-effects of England's ravages are less scary than for others, so you don't always need to defend--letting them ravage and then cleaning up the Blight is one solid strategy.
Quote:
- try to get powerful major powers that can clear a land with a lot of buildings. but some spirits just can't consistently generate the energy required to play these, and/or able to reclaim easily to play them again.
This is definitely the end-game strategy, and is always how you will end up winning (if you win). Earlier on these same powers will be useful in preventing England from building their Proud and Mighty Capital. But still, you pointed out the downsides of this strategy, and you do need to moderate the Major powers until you can support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
England is relentless, but relatively slow, and gives you time to grow. At high levels, you want to avoid damage strategies in favor of outright destruction or removal effects, due to their increased health. We did quite well against level five with the growth-based combo of Rampant Green, Keeper, and Serpent, as the first can stop English builds while powering up the latter two to be late-game powerhouses. Ocean plus controlling spirits like a River is also a great combo against England, as you bypass their hit points and push them into the sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
There's a completed PBF game I played against level 6 England:
PBF 009 - For Her Majesty The Queen (Complete)
You can take a look at that for ideas. (I think we didn't even let the Blight card flip.)

I've been looking at it a lot! It's hard to follow a PBF but I am trying to get a feel of your discussions/thought processes and priorities.

Do you think the game was a fluke? (i.e. did you get reasonably favourable events and card draws?) Or do you often win against lvl 6 adversaries without flipping the blight card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
Do you think the game was a fluke? (i.e. did you get reasonably favourable events and card draws?) Or do you often win against lvl 6 adversaries without flipping the blight card?
I have not won against lvl 6 adversaries without flipping the blight card except in those PBF games. (If I had been able to win like that consistently during playtesting, I'm pretty sure there would be some harder levels on there.)

But I don't think it was a fluke. I think it was a combination of very skilled players and the extra time to discuss things that the PBF format gave us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For two players you should try Ocean and Lightning. I don't want to spoil all the strategy, but they make L6 England pretty soft. They destroy buildings without doing damage so the +Health doesn't affect them as much. They both generate a lot of fear so you won't have to worry about the L6 effect. Lightning loves gaining energy from Ocean's starting card and Ocean sometimes really wants to go fast (especially once it picks up some key majors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zedd Stamant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:
For two players you should try Ocean and Lightning. I don't want to spoil all the strategy, but they make L6 England pretty soft. They destroy buildings without doing damage so the +Health doesn't affect them as much. They both generate a lot of fear so you won't have to worry about the L6 effect. Lightning loves gaining energy from Ocean's starting card and Ocean sometimes really wants to go fast (especially once it picks up some key majors).

Been trying this approach and I haven't had luck. I'm curious as to what you specifically did to defeat L6 England?

They still seemed to have too many buildings even after using the two spirits you suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.