Dark Souls: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Tucker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I'm only two plays in but we've only had one situation where it was deadly to the party. Played with 2 and 3 players.

I've read the rule book a few times trying to figure out where we might be going wrong, the only thing I see a question of "turn" order and even then I don't think it would have changed much on our plays.

Quote:
After the enemies have activated, all players will activate their characters. The characters in the party do not have a set turn order. Player can act in any order they choose switching between players freely.

I've read this as, Player 1 and 2 can do actions back and forth, not everything on a "turn". But I'm not 100% that's what it means, it might just mean that the turn order doesn't rotate but you still have to take turns? Again, I don't think this would have a major affect.

I've also never fought a level 3 encounter. We've just done 1/2s and then fought the bosses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty straightforward, so it's hard to guess what you're missing (if anything). I'm pretty sure you're wrong about turn order, at the very least.

You're counting equipment cards as part of your six card limit, yeah?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alek Pushka
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the idea is that player one may do a movement action, then player 2 moves into the empty spot and does an attack, then player one attacks as well.
Stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Mister
msg tools
mbmb
I didn't get the impression that "no turn order" meant you could split up your turn actions. I think it means the players go in any order, but you must complete all your actions before it goes to the next player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tucker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I've watched two let's plays and both had the same interpretation that player activations are "free flowing."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how anyone could reach that conclusion. Just because it doesn't say you can't?

In a four player game, tracking which aspects of your turn you've completed could get a little messy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tucker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
"switching between players freely",
"each action may only be performed once per character during each party activation"
"Once all players have completed all the actions they want to take..." (Not taken a turn)

are the lines I read to mean that.

I just watched several videos including ones from SFG like this one: https://youtu.be/fmtxVhGDgtY at 7:40 he goes over the turn order and explains it this way. Again I'm 3-4 videos in and it has been explained this way each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can confirm that players’ turn is a “free flow” sequence of actions freely taken by all party members, with no strict order.
Tracking who already has done what shouldn’t be this complex, unless you’re playing solo using 4 characters, in which case I’d suggest using some sort of counters.
But yes, each party member can mix and match their actions, with a limit of 1 discard action, 1 movement, 1 attack, 1 non-attack and 1 heroic action each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tootzo wrote:
I can confirm that players’ turn is a “free flow” sequence of actions freely taken by all party members, with no strict order.
Tracking who already has done what shouldn’t be this complex, unless you’re playing solo using 4 characters, in which case I’d suggest using some sort of counters.
But yes, each party member can mix and match their actions, with a limit of 1 discard action, 1 movement, 1 attack, 1 non-attack and 1 heroic action each.

Phew, confirmation from Tootzo. That's all I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
What is your problem, sir?
Alex, Jason an I all gave the same answer, based on informations from the staff behind the game.
Want to play by your rules? Go ahead, who cares.
But if you come here and ask how the game is supposed to play, that’s the answer, like it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tootzo wrote:
What is your problem, sir?
Alex, Jason an I all gave the same answer, based on informations from the staff behind the game.
Want to play by your rules? Go ahead, who cares.
But if you come here and ask how the game is supposed to play, that’s the answer, like it or not.

I just thought it was funny that you can into the thread to "confirm" something as if you're somehow an authority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I AM an authority! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fairly sure that's how it's supposed to work. You can alternate actions as long as you only do 1 of each on a turn. Otherwise the switch places action that's given as an example in the rulebook would make no sense at all. That's both of you doing a move action at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.