Hide
8 Posts

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: New Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sith Lord
msg tools
Can you play with the Third Edition components using the Fourth Edition rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not really unless you would be willing to do alot of printing first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the number of plastic minis of each type per color is the same. But everything else has changed - the strategy cards, all the cards in all the decks, the values on many or most of the planets, the racial sheets and abilities, and more. So it would be extremely impractical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
I believe the number of plastic minis of each type per color is the same. But everything else has changed - the strategy cards, all the cards in all the decks, the values on many or most of the planets, the racial sheets and abilities, and more. So it would be extremely impractical.

The values on most planets is the same, but a few have changed, and the tech icons are all very different. Plus, most the planets have another trait icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goblin981 wrote:
Can you play with the Third Edition components using the Fourth Edition rules?

You can get it close(ish) ... but it does take a little handiwork. I did it for my copy, crafted the strategy cards and changed the trade goods into trade goods / commodities.

1) You need the Strategy cards from TI4

2) You need to have commodities, either dual sided like in TI4, or, if you had a set of tokens that could be used as commodities and exchanged for trade goods as needed, that could work too.

Even doing that, you're left with the TI3 tech tree (which still works), faction powers, action cards, and so forth. Not everything is as streamlined as it is in TI4, but the game flow and trading are significant upgrades to the game and it might be worth the effort.

And that's what you'd really be changing ... the game flow, such as having a Diplomatic phase once Mecatol Rex has been taken over, and the trade rules from TI4 (in which case, when replenishing commodities, we just said every race gets 3 and Hacan gets 6. It's not exactly like TI4, but it worked well enough).

There may be a few other small things, but I'd have to pull the game out to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:
2) You need to have commodities, either dual sided like in TI4, or, if you had a set of tokens that could be used as commodities and exchanged for trade goods as needed, that could work too.

I have another solution. You can just have a spot off the sheet for your commodities area and use the trade good tokens in there. Or use the area for your picture, or your fleet supply or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I would give the races commodities equal to the sum of their Trade Agreements. That's what most of them are anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, just buy 4e. The minis are better, Race sheets better, tech tree better. If you can't afford it right now, just save up. You won't regret it imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.