Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Kankaanpää
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okey, I got the game on friday and played my first 2p game today.

After that I went on to try the solo-reflection of the character I played in the 2p game with my gf. That character was Blake (Pyromancer)

Well, I tried it twice in a row and I think it's either brutally hard, or I am doing something wrong.

First of all, do the fire spirits attack normally? Or do they just move and try to gather? since If they do, it's near impossible to survive with a base combat value of 1 and 2, with 2 and 3 health respectively?

Let's say I clear them all on my turn, which is rather easy with the cool animus abilities, but in the night phase they usually spawn atleast 3 more. Now these three usually can move to my space on the small map and if they all attack, that's -2 to my combat in the last attack, which is almost guaranteed to make a wound. Usually 2. If I take two, that's my first doubt and the second death is soon to follow usually.

Basically, do they all act immediately after spawning (unless mentioned they don't?)

Another question is that if I have say 4 fire spirits on the board and they can all reach me. Do they actually just move and attack 1 at a time? So that in this case I would take 3 attacks and then when the 4th moves in my space, they spawn a fury elemental that immediately activates and I get attacked even harder with a -3 penalty to my combat now?

Sorry if you don't understand my questions, I can clarify where needed.
The scenario and game seem great, but that was frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
You do stay in your Animus form during the night, so if you get KO'd you swap back to mortal (anima) form and take a Wound and a Nightmare point. You should be able to avoid Doubt on turn 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Kankaanpää
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, i'm not getting ko'd on the first round, but there are many reflections, so I'd need to survive for atleast 5-7 rounds or so, and that feels like it would need the equivalent of rolling a 5-6 on a D& around 15 times a row...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt T
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Short answer, no, it's not impossible but yes it can be brutally hard, especially if the map layout or certain Engulfing Flame cards don't go your way.

To clarify the way the Fire Spirits work, if they cannot immediately reach and attack you, they will move toward each other instead in an attempt to fuse.

To give a minor hint, you are correct in the notion that being attacked by many small enemies can often be harder to survive than being attacked by one large one. I should also note that not every card in a Reflection deck is guaranteed to be used every time you play that reflection.

If you (or anyone else) is really stumped, I go into pretty deep detail in the spoilers below:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The real key to the scenario is that you always want to be at least 3 spaces away from the closest fire spirit. As long as you can maintain this distance, the fire spirits will merge into an Elemental Fury. And, despite its name, Elemental Furies can't actually hurt you while you have Flame Dance active. They can also be burned down pretty easily using Burn. The large groups of Fire Spirits are kind of a red herring--the natural inclination is to try to AOE them all down, but the safe route is to keep your distance and let them merge. The Engulfing Flames cards will keep you on your toes, but as long as you properly manage the enemies that are already on the map, no single Engulfing Flames card should out and out kill you, especially if your'e channeled.

Of course, that's easier said than done, and the real fun of the scenario is knowing when you have to be aggressive and start blasting enemies away, when you have to use Flame Dance to be able to prevent some damage, and when you should just run away.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Kankaanpää
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! Some great advice there!

I was actually thinking of doing something like that in my second game after learning things on the first, but having a low move and the random setup of how the tiles ended up, made executing a plan very hard. Will try this again to see if I can improve on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Kankaanpää
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more questions actually:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

It says that at the end of the night phase, spawn 1 fire spirit in the apartment. Then draw engulfing flames and execute it.

Are these separate? As in do I first spawn and activate the lonely one, or do I first spawn 1 then see if I spawn more from the card and only then activate them all (and see if they want to gather round?)

Another thing, on the worst card (depending on situation of course) it says to spawn a fire spirit to each adjacent space of a fire spirit. I'm assuming adjacent is only orthogonal, but do I only choose 1 fire spirit to spawn next to, or say I have 3 fire spirits on 3 different tiles, do all of them get fire spirits on adjacent spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt T
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
1) They are separate.

2) Yes, all of the adjacent spaces get a fire spirit. "Spawn" them all first, then activate them. 9/10 times that card will result in some Furies getting put on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.