Fields of Arle: Tea & Trade» Forums » General

Subject: First solo game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first (partially completed) solo game I naturally wanted to try out all of the new things on offer, schloote, ships and tea, all at the same time. On first impressions, the expansion seems to add hugely to the complexity of the base game with just a few new concepts. My first game was a dizzying experience, and I seemed to be accumulating a lot of resources, and was expecting a massive score, but then realised this was partly because I was unfamiliar with the new buildings and so was not using the resources I was accumulating to build enough buildings.

Then, in my first (completed) full solo game I went Schloote-heavy, using the Dehydration Mill. I made more effort with my building programme, but still resources seemed more plentiful and, and whilst decision making was still very tight, hanging on just one food or one peat, I felt like a more powerful farmer than with the base game. It was like before with Arles I was a subsistence farmer, with moderate farming power and a fairly simple life, and with the expansion I had woken up in a semi-industrialised age, with more farming power, but also with much more complex decision making. This may still be down to unfamiliar concepts, but certainly, this expansion certainly seems to turbo charge the base game massively.

I expect scores will be higher than in the base game, and I scored 121 in my first (fairly unfocussed) solo game, which is just half a point off my PB on the base game. The increased variety in buildings is just what I had hoped for, and the expansion really leads you into trying new and fresh strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the solo review.
Fields of Arle is probably my favorite solo game, and had felt sort of played out due to the lack of variety in buildings (to be fair, this is after about 15 plays). So I'm very much looking forward to getting this expansion soon so I can revisit this great game with some additional variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.