Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Super noob question about actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I just picked up the Force Awakens core set, and I am trying to not only learn myself, but also teach my girlfriend's boys how to play. I think I get enough of it to start basic skirmish games, but there is one thing I do not understand about actions. I have looked around, done searches, that sort of thing, but haven't been able to find the answer I am seeking. Maybe I'm just not asking it right - I dunno. Anyhow, my question is this:
Once I use an action, is that action done for the entire game? I understand that if it comes with a card and it tells me to discard after using, the answer to that is yes. But what about ones granted on the character card, such target lock or focus? If I use those in a given turn, can I use them again the next turn, or is it also a one-use kind of thing? I apologize if this is a stupid question - I have been reading a lot, watching videos, and frequenting forums, and I may have just overloaded my brain. But there are so many rules with exceptions due to different cards or nerfing or errata that my head is spinning! Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias M
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use the action every turn.

The limitation is: Every ship can use every action only once per turn.

Apart from this there is a bunch of FAQ things related to specific interactions, but honestly do not read the FAQ or any errata for now. Just play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's start with the simple cases, based only on what's on the pilot token.

You can take a focus (eyeball) action. If you do, you can opt to spend that token on offense (red dice) to promote every eyeball you roll to a hit, or you can opt to spend that token on defense (green dice) to promote every eyeball you roll to an evade. At the end of that round of combat, an unused focus expires and is picked up from the table. I think nearly every ship in the game has this option.

Some ships offer the Evade (arrow) action. If you take the evade action, you place the token next to your ship. It typically does nothing when you are on offense, but when you are on defense you can use it to add a green die set to the evade (arrow) result, basically guaranteeing that you dodge at least one hit. You are not obligated to do this; if someone rolls two hits and you roll two natural evades then you can save it in case you get attacked again later that round. But, like a focus token, unspent evade tokens are picked up at the end of the round.

Barrel roll and Boost actions are done immediately upon selection. They involve moving your ship and do not have tokens.

Target lock is the only action you take in the basic game that does not expire. You can take a target lock on an enemy ship as long as it's somewhere within range 1-3 of your ship. It does not have to be in front of you where you can shoot it either! At the end of the round, if you did not use your target lock, it remains attached to the other ship. If at some point that ship moves out of range (beyond range 3) the target lock still stays. As an action you can choose to move your target lock to a closer ship if that makes sense, but you are not obligated to do so.

There are many weapons that require you to have a target lock, and some that additionally require you to spend the target lock. If you fire a weapon that requires you to spend the target lock, the token is picked up before you roll your dice. If it's a weapon that just requires you to have a target lock, you leave the token on the table. If you roll bad, and want to re-roll some (or all) of your dice, then you have the option to use the target lock for the basic effect, which is to allow you to re-roll dice. At that point, the target lock token is picked up from the board and you re-roll.

So those are the basic actions, explained in a basic way. There are plenty of more complex interactions that can change how some of these actions work but I won't confuse the issue by going into them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Perfect - exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the replies!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loki_762 wrote:
Once I use an action, is that action done for the entire game?

Actions are usable once per round per ship. (Rules Reference p. 3) And it's once per action by effect, not by source. For instance, if you have multiple actions that make your ship do a barrel roll, you can only use one of them each round.

Free Actions
Free actions don't count as your one "normal" action per round, but are still actions. They are still unusable while stressed and are still limited by the "once per round" rule above.
If something simply says "take a free action", it means you can take any action available to that ship.
Skipping the Perform Action step for a ship (for example, due to bumping into another ship) does not make free actions illegal for it. (FAQ)

Effects that aren't explicitly labeled as actions or free actions are not actions. Among other things, this means stress doesn't stop them.

Each triggered response (like "at the start of the Combat Phase" or "during the Modify Dice step") is limited to one use per trigger event. This is true regardless of whether it is a free action or a non-action. (Rules Ref. p. 8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.