4 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Starting auction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
mbmbmb
I see some discussion about faction/mat balance, and I would like to sugest a starting variant, similar to one I already sugested in another game with a "random player power setup" (TFMars)

Basically, you take random factions/mats pairs until you have 1 per player, just like normal, but then instead of giving them at random, players bid on them with negative points at game end

The bidding would work like Amun-Re, lets say it is 3 players and there are 3 pairs, A, B C

player 1 bids 3 on A
p2 bids 4 on A
p1 bids 5 on A
p2 bids 2 on B
p3 bids 8 on A
p1 bids 3 on B
p2 bids 0 on C (the last move will always be a bid of 0)

So clearly everyone at the table thought A was the best pair, followed by B and then C, but now, instead of someone at random gettng it and hearing everyone complain about how broken that combo is, everyone has a chance to get it! (:

Then the games proceeds as usual, and at game end everyone pays the bid, so -8 for p3, -3 for p1, and no change for p2

What do you think?

Anyone wants to simulate a start with some random pairs and see how the bidding would end? (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting
I’ll try it with you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martorana
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
Bidding on starting Faction/Mat has been suggested before. Notably it was actually done here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1833000/wbc-tournament-repo...

(Do a search and you'll uncover other bidding schemes people have suggested)

Personally, I wouldn't want bidding for a number of reasons. But if everyone is about equal at the game, and everyone agrees how strong certain faction/mat combos are when your group plays, then it could probably work out fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks

I tried searcing for bidding but ended up with a bunch of results taking about the combat bid and couldnt find anything in the variants topic

in that topic you've sent (thanks) the last comment is asking why they did "that" bid (not sure what it is yet) instead of an amun re style (: waiting to see the answer

but from the stats, it seems a bidding of some sort is needed for balance, because of faction was clearly getting more wins than the rest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.