Subject: First play tomorrow: tips for not forgetting things? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've read through the rules a number of times since getting this game (probably two years ago) and just read the rulebook again today. I've also watched a few video reviews. This is something I do with all games I'm going to play.

But I feel like I might miss something when I'm teaching it and playing it tomorrow since there's a lot available. Anything in particular I should make sure I don't forget?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring for your animals. All 3 have to be developed together otherwise you will miss out on points as the animal you have most of doesn’t score any points.
I missed this on my first play, it was a real d’oh! moment when it came to scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can ship goods in the middle of a round to get the food. Just leave the city tile marker on your cart until the between season accounting.

Look up the thread on keeping track of 1st player between seasons. Usually causes issues.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19742666#19742666
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This
phillipwilson wrote:
You can ship goods in the middle of a round to get the food. Just leave the city tile marker on your cart until the between season accounting.
is the most likely thing you'll miss I think. The game is so beautifully self-contained that it guides you and so forgetting other things is not a huge issue in my experience.

After having played for some time, the only thing we found that we were playing wrong was loading travel destinations, exactly as Phillip says. As loading vehicles was an unfamiliar mechanic, the natural inclination to concentrate on one thing at a time led us to focus on playing the round, and then only load/unload at the start of the harvest. This is fine, but as Phillip highlights, you can actually load at any time and get the food from travel destinations immediately.

At the risk of being fired down, whilst FoA encourages very varied strategies, if there is one thing you need to do, it is to get a vehicle reasonably early.

At first I would just focus on building one or possibly two green buildings, don’t worry too much about other buildings until you are in the swing of it.

Lastly, don’t overlook peat boats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Animals shopping and shipping timing. Got it!

I saw how useful having a peat boat is for using peat as a "wild" resource of sorts watching a playthrough. I'll be sure I mention that to my wife too.

Any last minute thoughts would be great. I hope to play around noon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides direct trading of goods and animal scoring I learned that workbenches can be errorprone.

Typical errors on workbenches:

I upgraded, for instance, axes while taking the axes action with an extra wood in my first game (meaning I pay 1 wood additionally and get 4 wood back with my first action). I think this was a common misunderstanding by many players. The only actions that increases the action “levels” are workbenches (of course) and fishing (this upgrades itself by using). Otherwise you have to rely on buildings, like the castle.

But you can upgrade workbenches itself by using the workbench action. For instance: Upgrading workbenches from 2 to 3 (costs 2 clay), upgrading axes from 3 to 4 and clay worker from 3 to 4 (costs of 1 wood each), is possible.

Additionally:
What I personally had to look up quite often (because I seldomly built the concerning carts) were loading rules with the combined seats, like from the carriage. It's easy though: You can go beyond the combined seats, but not fill it with one single item (like wood, clay or the single destinations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
The design is so tight, I feel like you probably won't forget much. Just reading the book might seem like the game's pretty heavy, but in play it's light as a feather!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Just finished!

I don't think we messed anything up. Even explaining the animal scoring to my wife she didn't really get it, I told her just to try having the same amount of each animal.

As she just remarked, "the trend continues." She almost always wins our first play of a new game. 83.5 to 73. The biggest difference in point scoring categories was that she had 20 points from goods (thanks to a Depot) while I had just 4 points from goods.

Took us 90 minutes after the rules explanation. I can see shaving 20 minutes off once we are familiar with the actions. And as a 70 minute game this will be perfect for us.

Thanks again friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.