BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Ikea Liatorp coffee as a boardgame table ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all !

I am not very savy for DIY but I dream of a coffee table that I could use for boardgaming.
Upon research I found this one:
https://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/art/50087072/

Do you think it’s possible to not put the dividers on the inside part and playing without the glass inside the drawer ? Basically using the drawer as the play area. Then finish I could put back the glass and having a nice table without needing to clean off the boardgame waiting in the drawer. It sounds like a very nice set up for a boardgame table. And the size (93 cm so probably around 80 in the drawer) sounds perfect for my playing need. Do you see anything that I overlooked in my plan ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tolman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the assembly instructions it should be possible. Another possibility is forgoing the drawer entirely, either leaving it open or installing the front of the drawer using finishing nails.

I wonder if there is a more elegant way of removing the glass than reaching under the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed it seems feasible. I like the idea of the drawer as we could put the drawer out with a game on it to play the game elsewhere. One problem is the glass. If it’s too heavy it could be dangerous to manipulate each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get a nice suction gripping thing to lift out the glass, but other than that it seems like a good plan. I had looked at this table as a lego table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tolman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
Indeed it seems feasible. I like the idea of the drawer as we could put the drawer out with a game on it to play the game elsewhere. One problem is the glass. If it’s too heavy it could be dangerous to manipulate each time.

Perhaps a sheet of scratch resistant plastic of some sort to replace the glass with a divot cut out so you can lift it out.

BTW what I like about this, as opposed to a standard gaming table is that the glass or plastic allows the half finished game to be a decorative piece by itself.

Many games feature great art on the board and off and this allows you to showcase that. Lisboa, for example, would look great under the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
NateT wrote:
Looking at the assembly instructions

Somebody really needs to make a game around assembling Ikea furniture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Mote
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi si Mon Moshimon,

Very intriguing.

Here's an example being used for an N-scale train layout:

https://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/04/coffee-table-train-set.h...

So it seems like the internal dividers aren't necessary to support the glass. You'd probably need some extra support legs if you were playing on the drawer surface while it's pulled out.

I'm not sure I could handle sitting on the ground, but, put get some longer legs and for smaller games and two players, it could be a reasonable option.

Thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
You don’t even need longer legs just get some of those plastic lifts that some stores sell, largely to raise dorm room beds. We had our coffee table made about 5 inches taller and it is pretty near perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for your insights !
I am used to play on the floor as I live in Japan. We usually play on the couch and on the floor on a lack table. The train thing looks very cool. I like the idea that a boardgame played can be a nice diorama under the table. The one thing stopping me now is the size of the table. In tokyo place is valuable and the table might be too big. I will try to stop by ikea an see it in person !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I TOTALLY agree about the leg length. I hunch over the table as it is. I'd look like Quasimodo after a few sessions. Sorry maybe for you younger guys but not for me. Make it taller ....then we talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn’t thought that much about the leg lenght but if it bothers everybody it might be a problem. I will check in ikea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Mote
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Besides making a nice display when stowed, using the pull-out drawer as the playing surface means the glass can be used for drinks, food, reserve pieces, etc. so you actually get more total space (if not a little awkwardly arranged) as well.

Replacing the legs will probably be a pretty huge chore. And you'd almost certainly need extra legs for using the drawer pulled-out to avoid it tipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
I would get a nice suction gripping thing to lift out the glass, but other than that it seems like a good plan. I had looked at this table as a lego table.

You could also take the glass to a glass shop, and have them cut notches in two opposite sides for finger holes.

Or, less hassle and less expense, and to maintain the integrity of the surface, just lay a ribbon across the table, before laying the glass in. Then lift on the ribbon to lift an edge of the glass up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.