4 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: How many players was this game primarily designed for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
F E
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this game can be played 2/3/4 players; I've tried searching however, and I'm trying to figure out how many players is actually ideal for this game - or how many it was primarily designed for?

What sparked this search was me reading a post on these forums stating that there was a pair of individuals playing [2 player mode] who had very little difficulty beating pretty much every boss; it made me wonder - "Am I just bad at this game?". Or is it a function of [4 player mode] (my preferred playing amount), and our inexperience with the game?

Or perhaps, [2 player]/[3 player] allow you to develop your deck much quicker in relation to the Nemesis - I've read a thread stating where the optimal strategy for [3 player] seemed to be to give a single player all the Wild turns to help develop faster; unless a situation warranted it otherwise (a thought I noticed while playing as well). There were variants offered, perhaps I'll have to try one out.

I'm not looking for strategy or advice - I enjoy losing, and I love trying to discover my own play-style and strategies; unless it's a competitive/online game against other players, the moment I start reading up on how best to maximize every aspect of the game/the numbers, odds, strategies for various situations - I tend to lose interest, as it doesn't feel like I'm playing; more as though I'm kind of on auto-pilot.

But that's a separate discussion; so simply - Is there a certain amount of players that this game was specifically designed with in mind (2/3/4)? I understand it can quite comfortably handle all of the player counts (which is a positive to be sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I don't know what it was designed for, but you hit the nail on the head as to why the difficultly is different between 2 and 4 players. In 4 players, the nemesis has taken four turns before you even see a card that you intentionally added to your deck. In 2 player, they've only taken two.

Legendary has this same problem, in high player counts the villain row will fill up while you are still digging through your starter decks. If you are lucky you can kill off one henchman, but it's not going to be enough, someone is going to escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not sure if there was a design count, or if it was explicitly designed to work at all difficulties. However, it's generally agreed on that difficulty-wise, 2 or 3 players are the easiest, 4 player is a little harder, and 'true solo' 1-player is the hardest.

4 player will definitely be slower in terms of getting your decks going, and if you're playing with the original Turn Order cards (As opposed to the 'semi-wild' turn order cards), it may not give you an opportunity to react to things with the timing you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the game has been extensively designed and tested with 1 to 4 players in mind as attention has been thoroughly given to all these player modes.
It has just been generally accepted that 2 players is the most manageable, 3 players is the most strategic and hte one where you have the most room to breathe (since you can give wild cards to whoever. T'was probably me who said that ^^) and 4 players being the most challenging one.
1 player is a special case and was created to be a super hard challenge.
And it is.
It has even been made easier recently in 2nd edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.