Subject: Leftover Questions after the First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Henning
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats to AEG. We were on q two day trip visiting colleges, not knowing when the Kickstarter would arrive. It arrived the day after we got home to our delight and the un-boxing began.

So a couple of questions:

1. If we use a lantern or any other card once for it's cash, we cannot in turn use it to move to the Wilderness as well, correct? Does this apply "universally" with the cash aspect (the Boots of Speed or the Teleport Staff)?

2. At the end of a turn in the dungeon, let's say I'm in 3 Level space. At the start of the next turn, I decide, I want to be in the village, am I correct that I just go? Seemingly, I'd be able to run from the dungeon without lighting and "alert" restrictions in play. In turn, if I was in that 3 room and didn't have light to stay there, I'd be forced to the village(or the Wildnerness) anyhow, right?

3. Since, they have a cost, can you directly buy heroes (even level 2-3), rather than leveling up the Zero guys, or if looking to expand beyond 6 party members?

4. Can characters beside the Wizard cast spells? Granted with Magic Missile, there'd be no point, as the damage is calculated by the number of Wizards in play, but there was a card (in the box now), that rolled a d6 for damage that we let a non-wizard use. Was this correct?

5. There's a level 1 goblin type monster that indicates -1 when blade weapons are used. I think this goblin has 4 Def and a 3 Armor. Can you better define how this guy is beaten?

6. If you're fighting a monster with Magic Resistance or Armor, is the simple math correct that if it's a 7 and has 4 armor, you better bring 11 worth of damage to kill it? This was hurting my brain for probably no good reason, but overthinking it.

Can't wait to play our next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diggity60503 wrote:
Congrats to AEG. We were on q two day trip visiting colleges, not knowing when the Kickstarter would arrive. It arrived the day after we got home to our delight and the un-boxing began.

So a couple of questions:

1. If we use a lantern or any other card once for it's cash, we cannot in turn use it to move to the Wilderness as well, correct? Does this apply "universally" with the cash aspect (the Boots of Speed or the Teleport Staff)?

2. At the end of a turn in the dungeon, let's say I'm in 3 Level space. At the start of the next turn, I decide, I want to be in the village, am I correct that I just go? Seemingly, I'd be able to run from the dungeon without lighting and "alert" restrictions in play. In turn, if I was in that 3 room and didn't have light to stay there, I'd be forced to the village(or the Wildnerness) anyhow, right?

3. Since, they have a cost, can you directly buy heroes (even level 2-3), rather than leveling up the Zero guys, or if looking to expand beyond 6 party members?

4. Can characters beside the Wizard cast spells? Granted with Magic Missile, there'd be no point, as the damage is calculated by the number of Wizards in play, but there was a card (in the box now), that rolled a d6 for damage that we let a non-wizard use. Was this correct?

5. There's a level 1 goblin type monster that indicates -1 when blade weapons are used. I think this goblin has 4 Def and a 3 Armor. Can you better define how this guy is beaten?

6. If you're fighting a monster with Magic Resistance or Armor, is the simple math correct that if it's a 7 and has 4 armor, you better bring 11 worth of damage to kill it? This was hurting my brain for probably no good reason, but overthinking it.

Can't wait to play our next game.

I'll take a shot here...

1. Yes, you can use the card to buy as well as use it for it's village action.

2. Yes, you either go to the village or go to the Dungeon. If you're in the dungeon, any part of it, you move your character to one of the village spaces.

3. Yes. (For the record, my group allows only upgrading via thunderstone tokens)

4. Yes

5 and 6 are kind of similar. Magic resistance means if you are doing magic attack you need to do minimum of equal damage to the resistance and the main damage. (ex 5 and 2 means you need 7 total damage). Same works for sword damage. If you do sword damage to a magic resistance character, you ignore the resistance (would only need 5 sword damage in prior example).

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Stewart
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
We shall drink to our partnership. Do you like gin? It is my only weakness.
mbmbmbmbmb
3. Only if the heroes leveled 2 or 3 are on top of the hero stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Reese
msg tools
designer
mbmb
David and Wade are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
diggity60503 wrote:

2. In turn, if I was in that 3 room and didn't have light to stay there, I'd be forced to the village(or the Wildnerness) anyhow, right?

The only part I did not see answered was this. The level 3 rooms you were dealing with boot you out somewhere else, so the question is moot. But as a principle this is not correct. You never need light to stay in a room, only to move into a room. Light affects movement. If you were in a level 2 room with a Light requirement of one at the end of your turn, and next turn you drew a hand that could defeat the monster in that room, but with no light, you could happily stay there and fight said monster.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diggity60503 wrote:

As far as I understood, you don't need a character at all for spells, you could even kill a monster with just a single fireball card in your hand.

I think it's easiest to remember when you look at the numbers:
A plain number (e.g. 4 damage of a spell) always works on it's own. Anything with a plus sign in front (e.g. +2 damage of a weapon) does need something to boost (a character in the weapon example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Svelix wrote:
diggity60503 wrote:

As far as I understood, you don't need a character at all for spells, you could even kill a monster with just a single fireball card in your hand.

I think it's easiest to remember when you look at the numbers:
A plain number (e.g. 4 damage of a spell) always works on it's own. Anything with a plus sign in front (e.g. +2 damage of a weapon) does need something to boost (a character in the weapon example).

Correct.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Molander
msg tools
mbmb
diggity60503 wrote:

These are the only ones I still don't see 100% answered here, imo.

For 5, that goblin is essentially weak to edged weapons, since they will bring down his armor as well as deal damage. So for each edged weapon you have equipped, subtract 1 from his armor before calculating whether or not you defeat him. For example, let's say you have three Adventurers (1 physical attack each) and two Daggers (edged, +1 physical attack each). The two edged weapons bring his armor down to 1. Your total attack is 5, minus his armor of 1 equals 4, which equals his health value. He dead.

For 6, the armor/magic resistance only matters if you're using that type of attack. In the example above, if you somehow had 4 magic attack, you would just not care about the monster's armor because armor only reduces your physical attack. It gets a little more complicated when you have both types. So let's say there's a monster with 6 health and 3 magic resistance, and you have a hand with 5 physical attack and 3 magic attack. The monster would negate your magic attack, and your physical attack would not be enough to meet the monster's health, so the monster would defeat you, even though you started with more attack than its health. 1 more attack of either type would have been enough to take the monster down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.