Subject: Do you guys think this will break the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melvin Vasquez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Farms / 2
Farms only produce food when you reach even numbered Agricultural leves - Those damn farms are too strong... receiving only 5 food for 10th level will somehow make hunting still relevant.

2. Thematic Housing
You can only produce new workers when you have the appropriate number of houses(huts) 1 house can accomodate 2 workers. For you to make your 6th worker you need to have your third house. This not takes away focus from the race for those super cheap and powerful civilization cards.

-OR-

You can make workers but ones which have no adequate shelter require 1.5 food or 2 food per worker. - Again the emphasis is on people thematically realizing that a hut or house is important. plus, this makes hunting and food production really relevant - the drawback here however is during the turns where you have no houses, feeding people will be a pain.

What do you guys think? I played the game yesterday with the farms/2 variant and it really made hunting relevant again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Veillet
Canada
Boucherville
Qu├ębec, Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, you have to try not letting one player go away with all the agricultural points. In a game a player should not be able to get more then 5 of them. You are suppose to fight for everything. Every game the other players let me go with it, I win. When they're getting them as much as I do, they are forcing me to do other stuff as well. Which all in all leeds to a more leveled game.

Talking about the food, charging more, to my belief, you will only take a 1 hour game up to a 2 hours game. And as for having to deal with housing before getting any workers, it's not better as you need them to break through the game.

Basically, you are trying to modify everything that makes it a good game to put some sort of drastic mesure over statistically called overpowered ressources. They are only overpowered ressources when players are letting one go away with all of them. Let a players get all the tools, and he'll make tremendous amount of points with the hut's.

Doing such changement in the game would be a total no for me. Breaking all the fun I have to play this game. I will always use a winning strategy of abusing of everything you leave me for free.

My 2 cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you want hunting to be relevant? I have always seen hunting as a last resort for when you can't get food any other way. More as a means to not get locked out of the game than a core strategy that you should be pursuing.

But I agree with Marc that you shouldn't be letting one person run away with the farming track. I usually play with 2-3 players, and the starting player almost every round goes straight for the farm (unless something better is one the board for that specific round).

And again for the Thematic Housing strategy, what problem are you trying to solve with this?

Both of your suggestions would likely slow the game down a lot and I think the time Stone Age takes is a sweet spot for a light worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls