A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Video on the melee rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Rulebreaker said they would release a video on the melee rules, but I don't think they ever did. I've searched for it and can't find anything.

I'd love a video on this topic, do you know if one exists?

Also, I'd love to see a video explaining some of the more complicated rules that can occur during the challenge phase of this game or something that goes into greater detail.

Please, if you can recommend any good videos...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont really know of any videos, but if you understand how a two player game works, then Melee is pretty simple, the only difference is adding in the player title cards. Other than that its all the same, you just have multiple opponents to choose to attack and defend from.

I dont know about specialized videos in the challenge phase situations either. But there's so many possible combos, it would be hard to have a video explaining all of them. What specifically are you unsure of in the challenge phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I totally meant to do that Melee video. I'll do it this week!

I work in video games and we had a big crunch period that just came to a close, so expect more content soon. I'll start with this very thing.

Rulebreaker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:
I'd love to see a video explaining some of the more complicated rules that can occur during the challenge phase of this game or something that goes into greater detail.

If you're more specific about what you want, I can add things like this into a future video about easily forgotten timing rules etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Laerfan wrote:
Pit of Misery wrote:
I'd love to see a video explaining some of the more complicated rules that can occur during the challenge phase of this game or something that goes into greater detail.

If you're more specific about what you want, I can add things like this into a future video about easily forgotten timing rules etc.

Thanks so much for this, besides the melee video, I think a video explaining some of the more detailed rules and a more comprehensive look at the technical rules of the game would be helpful.

Most videos seem to ignore all the variables that can happen and just talk in broad generalities.

For instance, none of the videos say what happens if initiatives are tied during the plot phase.

How banners, factions, and agendas can be used together aren't explained in much detail, although you included a very quick few minutes of agendas in a video.

Attachment rules aren't explained in much detail. When can you use attachments on your enemy, if a player dies, what happens to his attachment? etc...

Technical aspects of the claim phase aren't covered, such as if your claim exceeds what is available.

How multiple attackers and multiple defenders would work in terms of resolving special abilities.

Yes, and timing rules for exactly when and how Events and other cards can be played from your draw hand during the different phases.

I know it is a lot of little details, but maybe just covering some more of the difficult or ambiguous rules would be helpful.

Thank you kindly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
TexasTabletop wrote:
I dont really know of any videos, but if you understand how a two player game works, then Melee is pretty simple, the only difference is adding in the player title cards. Other than that its all the same, you just have multiple opponents to choose to attack and defend from.

I dont know about specialized videos in the challenge phase situations either. But there's so many possible combos, it would be hard to have a video explaining all of them. What specifically are you unsure of in the challenge phase?

Thanks for your post to my other thread.

Yeah, not sure how title cards work, and also not sure how multiple initiative is resolved, especially with ties.

Actually, looking forward to a possible Rulebreaker video, but if anyone knows any really good playthrough videos to see the game played for multiple rounds, it might be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at, and Print off the files in the following links:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120072/game-thrones-card-...

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/133563/universal-head-gam...

Place those out on the table next to you as you play your first several games, Those contain almost any rule, keyword, or timing chart that you'll need to reference as you go through your game, and they're put together in a really graphically pleasing format.

I used those pretty extensively as I played my first several games, and they're immensely helpful. Especially the chart that shows the phase order, and tells you exactly where action windows are (since you asked in the other thread). The same chart will show you were melee play changes come into effect. Those might be pretty helpful for you, until you can find a video to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you, I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
We filmed the Melee video today and will edit and upload it tomorrow

Rulebreaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
AWESOME!!

THANK YOU!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Does anyone have a link to the video?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you, fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure. I'd always meant to do one, not sure how I let it go by undone until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I am watching the video, and some questions are coming to mind.

First of all, I assume that the title cards are redistributed at the start of every new plot phase in the same manner, am I correct?

Second, from what I can tell, the player who wins initiative gets to decide who FIRST PLAYER is, and gives that player the Iron Throne token.

Then this FIRST PLAYER who was chosen will determine in what sequence the plot reactions are resolved, and also gets all first player privileges throughout the turn, am I right?

If this is the case, why did you state in a previous video that the Martel faction should lose initiative on purpose to activate some of their card's effects which require them not to be the FIRST PLAYER?

In fact, the Martel's could win initiative and just give FIRST PLAYER to another player.

Looking forward to your answer, or anyone else can chime in also.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
One last question also comes to mind:

Some of the TITLE cards have special effects, such as doing additional challenges or additional claims against "different opponents".

For instance, doing an extra power challenge against a "different opponent" with Hand of the King or getting additional intrigue claims against any number of opponents with Master of Whispers.

Can you do any of these special effects against an opponent who you aren't allowed to harm because you already SUPPORT them on your title card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:

First of all, I assume that the title cards are redistributed at the start of every new plot phase in the same manner, am I correct?

Correct. They are all returned at the taxation phase, and then redistributed in the next turn.

Pit of Misery wrote:
Second, from what I can tell, the player who wins initiative gets to decide who FIRST PLAYER is, and gives that player the Iron Throne token.

Then this FIRST PLAYER who was chosen will determine in what sequence the plot reactions are resolved, and also gets all first player privileges throughout the turn, am I right?

Correct. This is the case in any and all games. The player who wins initiative ALWAYS chooses who is first player.

Pit of Misery wrote:

In fact, the Martel's could win initiative and just give FIRST PLAYER to another player.

yes they can do this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:
One last question also comes to mind:

Can you do any of these special effects against an opponent who you aren't allowed to harm because you already SUPPORT them on your title card?

No. You cant initiate challenges against anyone you support. That is part of why the card is worded, "Against any number of opponents" instead of "all opponents" wording it with "All opponents" would affect players supported by you.

if you're allowed a challenge against a different opponent, and the only other options are opponents that you support, then you unfortunately may not take advantage of that ability that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
1. Any number of opponents sounds like you can do the effect to anyone, even supported factions.

Different opponent also sounds like you could have some flexibility as well, even with factions you support.

Does anyone else agree with what he said about Master of Whispers and Hand of the King effects not being used against supported factions?

I am seeing many threads that say Master of Whispers extra claim effect can be used against supported factions, but Hand of the King cannot.

That basically means that in a 3 player game, Hand of the King is ultimately worthless.

Still need a clear ruling on this, since I will be playing a 3 player game this weekend probably, so may start a different thread.

2. Also, the timing of the Re-direct effect on the Crown Regeant is fascinating.

Do you redirect the challenge only after the attackers and defenders are declared?

In this case, would the defenders remain kneeled?

3. Another question the video doesn't mention. Once the 1st player is chosen, how do you determine the order of the other players for all other phases?

In a 4 player game, would it matter who has 2nd best initiative, for instance?

Is it just clockwise from the 1st player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.