Hide
15 Posts

Thunderstone Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: What to do if the third level monster deck is empty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulius Sileikis
msg tools
This happened yesterday, we haven't found a single guardian key in level 1 and 2 monster decks, but 3 level monster deck was depleted. If the 1st and 2nd lvl monster deck is depleted it states in the rules, that the room is refilled with "the next highest" level of monster. I wonder what happens in the 3rd lvl.

We did not refill the rooms at all to prevent easier treasure and xp farming, but we could not find a definitive answer in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Reese
msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you run out of level III monsters, there won’t be any monsters to fill up level III Dungeon Rooms, so they will refill with the next highest level monster (II). Otherwise, the game continues as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGBryan wrote:
If you run out of level III monsters, there won’t be any monsters to fill up level III Dungeon Rooms. Otherwise, the game continues as normal.

Quote from rulebook:

"If the Monster deck is empty, refill from the next highest level Monster deck that is available."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Wommelsdorf
msg tools
Technically, I guess the "next highest" level would be level 2. I don't really see the problem with farming, since you already have 3 keys from level 3 and the fourth key will quickly drop the more rooms you have to fill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Reese
msg tools
designer
mbmb
rogue148 wrote:
AEGBryan wrote:
If you run out of level III monsters, there won’t be any monsters to fill up level III Dungeon Rooms. Otherwise, the game continues as normal.

Quote from rulebook:

"If the Monster deck is empty, refill from the next highest level Monster deck that is available."

Indeed this is correct. I have edited my above comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Milke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all the Monster cards are gone (i.e. Level I, II and III) and the only left cards are the remaining two Key cards, does one Dungeon room stay empty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulius Sileikis
msg tools
Hmm.. I'm not a native English speaker and it seems I don't understand the phrase "the next highest".

I would like some confirmation on what to do when each level is empty.
Level 1 is empty -> refill from level 2?
Level 2 is empty -> refill from level 3?
Level 3 is empty -> refill from level 2?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tsiongas wrote:
Hmm.. I'm not a native English speaker and it seems I don't understand the phrase "the next highest".

Thanks!

That is exactly right. You will want to refill the dungeon levels that are empty with the Monsters one level higher. If that is not available, go with the highest level available.

***Edit*** After reading Tozar's explanation below, it does seem that he is correct in his assessment of what "next highest" means, and I was playing it "next higher". Now I'm conflicted and confused, reasonings below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tsiongas wrote:

Thanks!

Let me use Level 2 as an example.

For Level 2, the "Next Highest" level, would be level 1.

For Level 2, the "Next Higher" level, would be level 3. -- This is a phrase that is NOT used in the rulebook, but is what some people seem to be confusing with "Next Highest."

So to restate your scenarios:

Level 1 is empty -> This case is not covered in the rules.
Level 2 is empty -> refill from level 1
Level 3 is empty -> refill from level 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
tsiongas wrote:

Thanks!

Let me use Level 2 as an example.

For Level 2, the "Next Highest" level, would be level 1.

For Level 2, the "Next Higher" level, would be level 3. -- This is a phrase that is NOT used in the rulebook, but is what some people seem to be confusing with "Next Highest."

So to restate your scenarios:

Level 1 is empty -> This case is not covered in the rules.
Level 2 is empty -> refill from level 1
Level 3 is empty -> refill from level 2

Actually, this is the correct interpretations of "next highest". I guess my thoughts were based upon a misunderstanding. However, this seems less intuitive. I guess there's two different impacts on how refilling the dungeon can effect the game.

1) Refilling with the "next highest", with the phrase correctly as pointed out by Tozar: You move weaker enemies into the Dungeon making things easier to kill. However, by the time you run out of Level 2 enemies, these Level 1 monsters will be ridiculously easy to dispatch. However, these does keep the Level 3 monsters at a premium. It also makes the game last longer, due to 3 keys being in Level 3 and less likely to come out as you defeat level 1 and 2 monsters.

2) Refilling with the "next highest" meaning the "next higher": You move tougher enemies into easier to reach dungeon rooms making Level 3 monsters easier to defeat near the end of the game. You also hasten the end of the game as the keys are more likely to come out when you go through the Level 2 monsters.

We ended up playing the second way, as it looks like many others had interpreted it as well. When playing with 4 people, we found that the Level 1 monsters disappeared rather fast, ending up with Level 2 monsters in the Level 1 dungeons mid game. We never ended up going through Level 2 monsters before the Level 1. This is only based upon 2 games experience though. With 2 players (of which we played 3 games) only 1 time did we run out of monsters of a certain level, this was for Level 2 monsters, and we refilled it with Level 3. I think it would have felt weird doing it otherwise.

Tozar is grammatically correct, however it seems to make more sense doing it the other way.

What are other people's thoughts? Or, even better, AEG official rep guy, what is correct?

I'm inclined to think tsiongas's interpretation is correct, and it's just some weird grammatical thing, because the English language is complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It means the next higher level.

Replace level 1 with level 2, level 2 with level 3, and level 3 with level 2.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Har1equin wrote:
It means the next higher level.

Replace level 1 with level 2, level 2 with level 3, and level 3 with level 2.

Mark

That's settled. Can we now talk about how bimonthly, which I always thought was every other month can also mean twice a month, which really is semimonthly? It really can mean either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Milke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfrosch wrote:
If all the Monster cards are gone (i.e. Level I, II and III) and the only left cards are the remaining two Key cards, does one Dungeon room stay empty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfrosch wrote:

Is this possible? Doesn't the end game trigger when 4 of the Guardian Keys are found?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct it is not really possible.

You cannot have three decks empty and four keys revealed. If the keys are all of the bottom cards then as soon as you kill the first monster that is left the keys forcibly trigger.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.