United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My main party has gone down the "we don't trust Jekserah" path, completing Scenario #8 (Gloomhaven Warehouse) several weeks ago. So Scenario #9 (Diamond Mine) has been sitting on my map, locked out of campaign play by "The Merchant Flees" Global Achievement. So my solo party (Level 6 Cragheart and Level 4 Scoundrel) set off in Casual Mode to explore the Diamond Mine. Scenario Level 3 with the solo bump setting the monsters to Level 4.

The first room was fairly uneventful. My Cragheart is mostly built as melee, so between it and the Scoundrel, they both took a few points of Retaliate damage from the Hounds, but were otherwise able to wipe the room unscathed. (The Hounds drew a Move + Muddle for their first ability card, then were defeated before their second ability card could take effect.)

The second room was much more exciting. With two characters, five Vermling Scouts are initially placed, but the Merciless Overseer's first card was Special 2, putting two more Scouts onto the board. In fact, The boss's first five card draws were Special 2, so he pumped out a steady stream of Scouts in the beginning.

Cragheart used Rock Slide to block off the middle area in an attempt to force the Scouts to go the long way (and suffer a Stun trap or two), but they kept drawing their Move + Jump, Loot ability card. They weren't putting out any damage, but they were ignoring my carefully placed obstacles and scooping up what few coins were dropping from the initially placed Scouts.

Eventually, Cragheart wiped all of the Scouts with Cataclysm (top) followed by Unstable Upheaval (top) the next round, breaking one of the obstacles it placed earlier to power Stone Pummel (bottom), and to allow the Scoundrel a clear route to the Merciless Overseer.

At this point, the boss hadn't moved a step since placement, having drawn only Special 2 and Special 1 cards. Scoundrel pulled him closer and Cragheart dropped more obstacles behind him, so he was surrounded on four sides by obstacles and on two by the characters.

From this point, it was almost sad how impotent the Merciless Overseer was. No Vermling Scouts on the board, so Special 1 (allow Vermling Scouts to perform their action again) did nothing. No empty hexes adjacent to him, so Special 2 (summon Vermling Scouts) did nothing. With no Vermling Scouts on the board, his Attack value is zero, so the one attack he did get off (Attack 0, Range, Target 2) was at a disadvantage against both targets and ended up dealing no damage.

After that, it was a simple Forceful Storm (bottom) + Stone Pummel (bottom) + Opposing Strike (top) + Poison + 1 from the attack modifier deck for 10 damage from the Cragheart, and a Smoke Bomb (top) -> Gruesome Advantage (top) + Poison + 1 from the attack modifier deck for 21 damage from the Scoundrel.

With the boss down and still more cards to spend, I was able to take my time and scoop up every coin at the back of the room (since the scenario ends when you kill the boss and grab the chest). Scoundrel ended up with ten coins at the end, converting to a cool 30 gold, which went directly toward buying her a nice Horned Helm. Cragheart leveled up to 7 (it has been getting 18 XP per scenario lately, not counting the victory bonus XP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you put this in the wrong forum. This is a Gloomhaven scenario, and you posted it in the Charterstone forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof. That was dumb of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodotus Halicarnassus
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now I'm mad that I didn't get Gloomhaven included in my Charterstone box.

Edit: Or maybe I did and we just never unlocked that particular crate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Herodotus Herodotus wrote:
Now I'm mad that I didn't get Gloomhaven included in my Charterstone box.

Edit: Or maybe I did and we just never unlocked that particular crate.

Did you check under the lid in box vi? Unfolding the portable hole is tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Charterstone to Gloomhaven

Dexter345 wrote:
Oof. That was dumb of me.

... I guess the Geekmodders really loved the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.