Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: opening hand - two scoring cards with USA - what should I have done? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Hixson
msg tools
I played as the USA with this as my opening hand…

Asia Scoring
Middle East Scoring
Korean War
Destalinization
CIA Created
Defectors
Nuclear Test Ban
Suez Crisis

I played Defectors. I’m thinking back on this and wondering if playing one of the two scoring cards would have been the better option?

My thoughts were first priority to hold Destalinization until round 3. Then I thought Defectors is a good headline – I’ll play it. But as I found out, having two scoring cards to play during the round makes for zero op points on that turn. I could have really used through 2 operations from defectors later on in the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you were playing without extra US starting influence, I would have gone for ME scoring. There's a risk that USSR headlines Nasser, at least you can concentrate on Asia with the ops you do have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
If you're playing with extra USA starting influence, then Mideast is a no brainer headline. Even if you're not playing with any extra influence, I think Mideast is the best choice here. The hand is weakish. Two empty ar's playing scoring cards is really limiting. If Iran starts 1/0 then it's also a prime target for Soviets to coup on ar1. And if they succeed, then you're in a world of hurt with this hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll go with the chorus to headline Middle East Scoring. Yes, you're getting -4 VP if Nasser is the opposing headline, but if Nasser is the opposing headline, you're not going to do well in Middle East Scoring whenever you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Knight
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Without a doubt ME scoring is the call. A quick 4 VP is huge (even if playing w/o extra influence it is a good play just because of how quick ME can get away from US in the early war. ALso, agree with another poster that 2 AR with no ops avoided is big. Plus, hopefully you can play Asia scoring for minimal damage. Holding destal to turn 3 or if blockade pulls it out.

The other possibility is playing CIA. I know that it is nice to keep it in the deck for the Soviets to hopefully have to deal with at some point. However, in Turn 1 it lets you see what your up against. I still think in this case I go with ME scoring but that would have been my only other consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Hixson
msg tools
Thanks for the responses. That makes sense.

I had the 45 minute timer on with the online game and i panicked a bit with the time crunch. Looking forward to being prepared for the situation next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Hixson
msg tools
This reply (about the 4VP) had been rattling around in my head. This isn't an obvious thing at first. I never played with the +1 influence as USA and this game was straight up.

When I think of an extra influence going into Iran, I never thought about the 4VP that are scored for the USA if ME scoring is played. I just thought about the extra influence helping against the opening Iran coup. That makes sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.