Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

if you haven't heard it, Mike Fitzgerald found a way to transfer football into a Highlights 20xx game. You can learn a bit more about it from Mike himself on the newest episode (#170) of the Dukes of Dice podcast.

In the podcast Mike gives a few insights about the core of the new game. I try to recap:

E Drafting instead of deckbuilding
E 10 cards per player instead of 6
E Focus on plays rather than players
E Core remains the quick tactical cardplay with offensive and defensive effects on one card (like BH45)
E 35-40 minutes per game (match), 10 cards per player and half
E TD 7p, FG 3p, Safeties 2p, no kick-off, punts, etc.
E 50 yards per player (to cross for a TD)
E 4 downs for a TD! (plus a chance for a FG after that)
E Score is football-ish, i.e. quite a lot of points from a few cards
E Deck is 195 plays/cards.

In the current alpha version cards are "plays" and will stay that mechanically, but themewise it's not clear what a card will be, a "player" or whatnot.
Mike wanted it to be a different game from BH45, i.e. not the same game with another skin. But he feels he captured the feel of football - and well, he did with baseball, didn't he?

Mike estimates roughly it'll be a 2019 release!

I'm thrilled. What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excited. If it's remotely as good as baseball highlights it'll be the best football game on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While it will never happen, I'd love to see a variant for Canadian rules (CFL). Three downs, the rouge (score a single point under various circumstances), bigger field, etc.

Love BH2045 so Football Highlights would be an instant buy no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely be following.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this would be an insta-buy for me. Wow! Will stay tuned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Insta-buy. Was a huge fan of Baseball Highlights. Makes me think of the old arcade game Cyberball, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

why not creating a new boardgame entry for FH:2052? You could ask EGG to let you know about some details about the game because you need them to create the entry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Man, this would be an insta-buy for me. Wow! Will stay tuned...

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ready to preorder now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Gryphon Games
msg tools
publisher
badge
www.Eagle-Gryphon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi Tim,

why not creating a new boardgame entry for FH:2052? You could ask EGG to let you know about some details about the game because you need them to create the entry...
Once those details are decided, we will make an entry at BGG for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the game but I'm going to miss the quirky players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Looking forward to the game but I'm going to miss the quirky players!

The cards may still be players even though they represent plays. In Baseball Highlights, the "players" are actually offensive and defensive results. I suspect Football Highlights will be similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for an all in pledge if those goes to KS. I hope the cards do take the form of players. I think that will provide much more flavor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will certainly be interested if there is solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vins baudet
Spain
Valencia/Castiello de Jaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very exited too about this one, but one of the things i appreciate more in BH 2045 is its quick play, that allows you to complete championships in one afertoon. 40 minutes, i think it´s too long for "highlights". IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I was the project manager and art director and ran the Kickstarter for Baseball Highlights 2045. I have also been a play tester for Mike since I met him in the early 1990's.

As of now, I will be doing the same jobs for Football Highlights 2052. I just received a prototype and rules from Mike (although we have discussed it by phone at length). I have only played a quarter and I am already super excited about the game.

I have subscribed to this thread and will be posting additional information here.

To address a few points that have been mentioned here.

Tim Tix did a very nice summary from the podcast and everything there is essentially correct. However, as we continue with game development, there will most likely be some changes. I am also already working on integrating it into its own special world as I did with BH2045.

vins baudet is also correct, this will not be playable as a series of games in 40 minutes to an hour. This will be 1 game that will play in the 40 minute time range (plus or minus a few minutes depending on players). But that does NOT mean it will not have the "highlights" aspect.

Like BH2045 it does streamline play so that it will be all of the fun and none of the tedium and will feel like you are playing football.

The play is still a card-by-card play with the cards interacting: Player 1 plays an Offensive play that is followed by player 2 playing a Defense against that card. Then, Player 2's same card is turned around for an Offensive play that will be countered by Player 1 playing a new card for Defense against it - and then Player 1's card will be turned around for his Offensive play for Player 2 to play a new card for Defense - and so on. The play will still be very fast and the decisions are still very tight.

The genius in the game design is that when drafting cards, you are sizing up both their offensive and defensive value. There are two main match-ups to consider when matching up offensive cards to defensive cards.

First is PLAY TYPE (Run or Pass). If the defense is caught without a counter then then offensive will have additional yardage gains.

The second is AREA OF FIELD (left-right-center). If the defensive PLAY TYPE is right, the offensive play will no longer have additional gains, and if the defense has also covered the correct part(s) of the field, they will certainly reduce the effectiveness of the Offensive play, if not stop it completely, or even cause a loss.

Players will have 4 downs to make a touchdown. If they don't succeed by the 4th down, then they will have a chance for a field goal is they are close enough. And, of course, the closer the better. Then they start again with a new series of downs from the 45 yard line.

Mike and I are still in early development of the game and it will be a couple of months before we actually show it to EGG for a final decision (as already mentioned above). EGG is very excited about the game and we are looking to have every bit of the quality game in both play and production as BH2045.

I am already working on the draft rules, to get them from designer-speak to something players can easily read and understand.

Mike and I will be running play tests of the game during the next several months. I have already booked sessions for ConnCon in Stamford CT in late March and we both will be at The Gathering of Friends in April with play test copies.

At present, as mentioned, the cards are all "plays" 1 offensive play and 1 defensive play. Those have both an area (or areas) of field they cover as well as a box that describes the yardage and potential additional yardage for offensive plays and the yardage prevented by defensive plays. Then there are also some special card effects mixed in as well. More about all of this after I get in more plays of the game.

I agree that the art on the cards will be very important and having players on each card was certainly a very important part of the cards in BH2045. I believe it will be the same here. And that is what will take a lot of time. For BH2045 I found sources for each and every card and was lucky that our wonderful artists were able to make them exciting and fresh. We will do the same for FH2052.

That's all for now. Feel free to discuss and we will certainly read everything said here and respond when possible.

Now I just have to figure out how to get Wiffle involved! cool

Ralph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Players will have 4 downs to make a touchdown. If they don't succeed by the 4th down, then they will have a chance for a field goal is they are close enough. And, of course, the closer the better. Then they start again with a new series of downs from the 45 yard line.

That's interesting. So all scoring drives are a maximum of 4 cards, or 5 if you go for a field goal. I was expecting something quite different, though now that it's written out I can absolutely see why it works this way: you don't want a single scoring drive to drag out and be 6, 8, or 10 cards. Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best News of 2018!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlfast wrote:
That's interesting. So all scoring drives are a maximum of 4 cards, or 5 if you go for a field goal. I was expecting something quite different, though now that it's written out I can absolutely see why it works this way: you don't want a single scoring drive to drag out and be 6, 8, or 10 cards. Cool.

In BH45 one card can even represent several scoring plays, say HOMER, HOMER. I had visions of several drives/scoring opportunities at the same time.
Say, offensively I've got one ball each on the 41, 26 and 4 yard lines while my opponent might also have several things going. Some scoring plays might be prevented but others remain active.
But that might be too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You both are pursuing your own offensive drive while also defending against the opponent's drive.

There is one playing mat with each player owning one side which includes a 50-yard field and end zone.

Your football (and offensive drive) starts on the opponent's 45 so you only need 45 yards to get a score, and even less for a field goal. If you get pushed back past the 50, your opponent scores a safety.

Plays are incredibly tight as the same card is played first for defense to resolve your opponent's threatened offense (except the first player's first card which is played only for offense) and then turned around to play as an offensive threat which your opponent tries to counter with a new defensive card play.

So the order of play is:
• Player 1 starts the game with Offensive Threat.
• Player 2 plays a defensive counter.
• Resolve player 1's offensive threat.
• Player 2 turns card around for his offensive threat.
• Player 1 counters by playing a new card for defense.
• Resolve player 2's offensive threat.
• And so on for 10 cards each.

Then player 1 will have to play a card for defense only to resolve player 2's last offensive threat.

End of half.

Reverse player order for 2nd half.

Game over.

Working on a Sudden Death Overtime in case of tie.

It is sweet and quick and the choices are a lot of fun as you have to match Type of Play to have any defense activate. If you don't match, offensive play goes off for full yardage PLUS potential additional yardage. If you match the Type of Play but not the Area of the Field, then the Offense goes off for yardage but no additional yardage. If your defense DOES match area of field (left, right, or center) as well as Type of Play, then you subtract the yardage on the defensive card to a minimum of 0 gain. There are other special defensive cards that can cause actual loss of yardage.

The way the cards are designed make this very easy to do.

Lots of other little grace notes included and/or coming. But that should let you know basically how it works.

Now, let your imaginations run wild! devil

Ralph
Edited to correct defensive yardage subtractions and special defensive cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is getting dangerously close to me being interested in buying a football game ! American football at that !!!!!

Oh, the shame blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rupertc wrote:
This is getting dangerously close to me being interested in buying a football game ! American football at that !!!!!

Oh, the shame blush

The Football Game is very good as far as football (soccer) goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested in this one!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Very excited. If it's remotely as good as baseball highlights it'll be the best football game on the market.

I agree it will be an excellent game (I don't care for baseball at all, but Baseball Highlights is great!) but the best football game on the market is already available: Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thorben
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
...repeat...
badge
...long slow goodbye...
mbmbmbmbmb
crparis wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

I agree it will be an excellent game (I don't care for baseball at all, but Baseball Highlights is great!) but the best football game on the market (till now) is already available: Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged

meeple

I edited it for you :-)
Also ... I see dice rolling (I speak of Techno Bowl) and I'm out ... it has to be something like John Company or Troyes to convince me otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.