Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Buy now or wait for Onslaught 3? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the fence for getting this game for quite a while now... I can get the game 1st edition for 130 EUR, but at the same time I am not sure of what I am missing out from Onslaught 3. Since previous Onslaughts have been delivered, can someone share their experience what the market value normally is for getting the KS exclusive versions instead? Is the price that I can get for reasonable right now or waiting for Onslaught 3 is a better idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onslaught 3 is a bunch of expansions, and not stand alone versions of the game.

You'll still need the core rules as a separate purchase (unless you backed/late pledged Onslaught 3 and included a core set in your pledge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'm not sure on conversion rates, but that's probably a decent price for the core set. Certainly not worse than the $200 it initially went for.

That said.... newest (post OS3) editions of the game are to come with improved components and rules (nothing you couldn't download online though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
Also, I'm not sure on conversion rates, but that's probably a decent price for the core set. Certainly not worse than the $200 it initially went for.

That said.... newest (post OS3) editions of the game are to come with improved components and rules (nothing you couldn't download online though).

I'd say that €130 seems a great price to me - and if you've been on the fence snap it up at that price. If you find (after several plays) that you don't like it you should be able to resell at no loss (maybe even a profit).

I don't think that there have been many rules/powers tweaks since the original release and all are available online. The recent unit/component upgrades are likewise minor. i.e. You're not really missing anything and should have a blast with any version of the core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers - I'll probably go for the first edition core set then.

Just a quick question - will previous expansions in OS3 be errata'd or have some balance fixes applied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:

I don't think that there have been many rules/powers tweaks since the original release and all are available online. The recent unit/component upgrades are likewise minor. i.e. You're not really missing anything and should have a blast with any version of the core game.

I -thought- the new (post OS3) printings of the core rules came with copies of the Omega Edition rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

I -thought- the new (post OS3) printings of the core rules came with copies of the Omega Edition rulebook?

Not sure on that - but the Omega rulebook is available online anyway (and if you're just playing core there's little need for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

All post OS2 copies came with an Omega Edition rulebook. The post OS3 copies will come with an updated version that includes the OS3 content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne White
msg tools
mb
Is the OS2 version and updated CORE game or do you need CORE games also. I am just getting stated in this game and with so many boxes I am not for sure where to start. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakson wrote:
Is the OS2 version and updated CORE game or do you need CORE games also. I am just getting stated in this game and with so many boxes I am not for sure where to start. Thanks
The base game has three printings (the third is coming this summer) that each came out of Kickstarters. The KS projects were referred to as Onslaughts after the first one so that is where the OS1, OS2, and OS3 came from. Any copy you buy now from a store is almost certainly going to be an OS2 copy.

The primary differences are the insert has been changed, one of the models was slightly changed to make it less likely to break, some small package tweaks, and the rulebook which is always expanded to include all the current expansions. The upcoming OS3 version will also have thicker cardboard from the player boards and doom tracks and again some minor balance tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne White
msg tools
mb
Thanks for clearing that up. I will look at OS2 and maybe an expanion or two to go along with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.