Andrew Tinnin
United States
Pine Island
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Spoliers
mbmbmbmbmb
We took Bang! off the shelf this past weekend and my kids loved it. Specifically they like the random hidden role mechanic and the different paths to victory. I am looking for recommendations of games with a similar mechanic that play well with 4 players. My kids are 9 and 7 but seem to be good with games rated around age 10 or so. Thank you for any suggestions you may be able to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels has (partially) hidden roles that change every round through a draft.
Not sure if it is still available but Heimlich & Co. would likely work well. Rules are very easy.
Love Letter: Batman may be worth a try although it is more about guessing the card a player holds than having role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coup could be good if you are OK with not having the same role for the whole game.

In Clans (soon to be republished as Fae) each player is a color but only knows what color he/she is playing. Figuring out who is which color has been compared to intelligence gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As like citadels, Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) has a similar role selection. I'm just about to try my 7 yr old daughter with it - me and my mum love this game.

A game we already play with her and love is Room 25 which you can play fully co-operative, hidden traitor or everyone playing against each other depending on how many are playing. If only playing 3 players, the other two play against me so only having to use one player each. It's kind of like labyrinth in the way you can move the maze about but all rooms are hidden until you uncover them and you have to find your way out whilst trying to avoid death rooms or toxic rooms or all sorts of things. One room in the expansion even has a control to move a robot about elsewhere in the maze. It's a lot of fun. The Room 25: Season 2 expansion definitely makes it a much better game as adds more content and variable player powers.

For a zombie game where you're working together but there is a hidden traitor trying to make the group fail without being found out(plus exciting story line), go for Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game.

For a great cheap card game - Saboteur (compilation editions) is fun. No one knows who's side anyone is on. if you get the version mentioned which includes the expansion, there's lots more of different characters with different missions making it far more variable.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a fun romp through a haunted house and then at some point through the game, one of you is made the evil whatever it is in that game - 50 scenarios. No one knows who that will be until then.

There is Shadows over Camelot with a hidden traitor too but to be honest, the game is almost pure luck and we never liked it as missions are pretty repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf! Super simple, games are quick but high-impact. All-round a lot of fun. You do one thing and then it's all about figuring out who's what and trying to find the werewolf. 10 minutes and you're done, plays great with 4.

Coup is more of a bluffing game than a hidden role game, but it's an excellent bluffing game. Very in-your-face, but it's over so quick it doesn't matter. Vibes a lot like Bang, in that it's more about targeting and attacking people than it is about trying to hide/deduce roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies, got carried away before realising you may just want more games like the one you mentioned shake

Other similar ones include The Resistance (or resistance avalon), Mascarade, One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.