Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: New to the game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Sanchez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hello all! I'm new to the Gloomhaven community and looking forward to getting into this game. I have a few very basic questions that I'm assuming the answer to but just want to know for sure. I understand each character gets a modifier deck.. my question is you shuffle this deck right?

Also the starting level 1 ability cards, do you shuffle these also. And what do you do with the character tokens that come in the tuck boxes? Thank you to any and all that know the answers to my no on questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you get your own basic modifier deck (of 20 cards). You shuffle it before use. Afterwards, you only shuffle it when you draw specific cards (like the 2x and the miss cards).

You also get your starting hand of cards and you dont really need to shuffle them since you have access to all these cards during a mission (until they are discarded or loss). You also start with level X cards that you can swap out your level 1 cards with. Just make sure you adhere to the hand limit as noted on your character's sheet (its different for each character).

Your character tokens can be punched out and used to track various things. Some cards have ongoing effects so a token is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sanchez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Oh ok great info... What do you mean tho that you start with Level x cards to start out... I thought when you first start playing you only can use level 1? And thanks for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
common rookie mistake that you may or may not be making:
the attack modifier cards that come in each character tuckbox are not the AttMod cards that you use right off the bat. Those are character-specific cards that are possibly added via perks as the character progresses.

The starting AttMod decks will have 20 cards each, and each deck will have a number (1,2,3,4) in the bottom corner. These aren't character-specific but are used by the players playing a scenario. They all start the same, but will be modified as a character progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bartholomew
New Zealand
flag msg tools
It's recommended that you start with the level 1s, because the X cards are slightly more complicated, but you have access to them right from the start if you want. You pick the cards you're taking for the scenario out of the ones you have available, up to your card limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Primo585 wrote:
Oh ok great info... What do you mean tho that you start with Level x cards to start out... I thought when you first start playing you only can use level 1? And thanks for the reply

The rulebook suggests using only Level 1 cards when first starting out, as you are not yet familiar with just how the character works. But once you get the hang of it, you are allowed to swap in any (or all) of the three 'X' cards for that character. However, in order to do so, you have to remove a Level 1 card for each X card you add, thus maintaining the same hand size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sanchez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Ahh ok I got it.. after a read through of the rule book it still seems like a bit complicated but I'm sure once I actually get some games in it will become more familiar to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Primo585 wrote:

You have access to both the X cards and your level 1 cards right from the start. The rule book (which you should read thoroughly) suggests that beginning players don't use the X cards for their first game or two, as they are slightly more complicated than the level 1 cards, and it also means you don't have to make any choices about which cards to use and which to leave out. I don't think it's that big a deal, tbh, but ymmv.

Enjoy, this is a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sanchez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Oh ok I got it! And monster standees are randomized when placing them in a room correct? And the number on the standees tells what order they play in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes on the standees.

There are a number of tutorials on the web that may make your first play through much easier ... there are a lot of little rules that can easily be flubbed the first few times you play.

But the GH community is good about answering even the most basic of questions so don't be shy about asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Primo585 wrote:
Oh ok I got it! And monster standees are randomized when placing them in a room correct? And the number on the standees tells what order they play in?

Order of play: First are the elite monsters, which are the yellow standees, in numerical order. Then the normal monsters, which are the white standees, also in numerical order. The placing of the monsters in the room is indeed randomized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.