Hide
8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: multiple parties in single world, or multiple campaigns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jb Crane
msg tools
So just curious there are tons of threads out there for people looking for multiple groups to play.

Some people advocate for doing your own world campaign

Some advocate for the playing in the open world environment where multiple parties exist.

However, my main question pertains to the story telling aspect of it all.

If you are playing the campaign I like the story mode aspect of going from point a-z and knowing why you got there. Is the same felt if you just add another party into the world?

I am looking for response from people who have done either or and what they advocate for. I am leaning towards the way the game was designed but also think it would be fun to completely re roll a character and start a new campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am doing many parties in one world.

I prefer this mostly because of the logistics, it would be such a pain to bookkeep two different worlds.
Also, it takes such a long time to unlock everything in this game, so by going two parties in the same world that time is shortened for both of these parties, this is a positive thing for me personally. It can also give a feeling of a living world, where "your" party is not the only people in the entire world doing something in it.

Regarding the story, I see your point and agree with that to some extent. You will not see every story line if you have many different parties on the world. But, I believe you will see enough.

In my copy I have one main group I play with some friend, and then I have one group I play solo. So I try to play mostly stuff that is not influencing to muck of the story when I play by my self, so that my friends get to see as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing seperate campaigns, if the second one ever gets going cry . I'm using a combination of an app for drawing event cards, and a printed off set of sheets for the one campaign and then standard methods for the second campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am doing two separate campaigns. Separate universes.

I have a group of 5 that play about once per week and I solo 2 characters.

The plan is that I play my solo adventure and to compartmentalize the stories. I will not spoil anything for my group of 5 if they overlap their path with my solo adventure.

The logistics are mostly about keeping track of the various decks of cards. You need to be able to put them back, reconstruct them before the appropriate group plays a session. These decks are:

Globally -
City events
Road events
Store Items

Per character -
Ability deck of the character(s) that overlap
Attack modifier deck of the character(s) that overlap

Then somewhere you need to keep track of campaign progress. Meaning scenarios that are unlocked and completed. Prosperity level of Gloomhaven.

I also keep a shorthand journal of everything the party does. Like this:

City event #X - B - +10gp to party (event removed)
Road event #Y - A - all players received curse
Scenario #Z - Completed
+2 prosperity
Unlocked scenarios #F and #G

rinse repeat.

Between that, party sheet, and character sheets, I can always reconstruct their world as needed if I miss something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Crane
msg tools
Xaqery wrote:
I am doing two separate campaigns. Separate universes.

I have a group of 5 that play about once per week and I solo 2 characters.

The plan is that I play my solo adventure and to compartmentalize the stories. I will not spoil anything for my group of 5 if they overlap their path with my solo adventure.

Your going to do the whole campaign solo. That is awesome I never considered this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Crane
msg tools
Malama wrote:
I am doing many parties in one world.

I prefer this mostly because of the logistics, it would be such a pain to bookkeep two different worlds.
Also, it takes such a long time to unlock everything in this game, so by going two parties in the same world that time is shortened for both of these parties, this is a positive thing for me personally. It can also give a feeling of a living world, where "your" party is not the only people in the entire world doing something in it.

Regarding the story, I see your point and agree with that to some extent. You will not see every story line if you have many different parties on the world. But, I believe you will see enough.

In my copy I have one main group I play with some friend, and then I have one group I play solo. So I try to play mostly stuff that is not influencing to muck of the story when I play by my self, so that my friends get to see as much as possible.

After reading this response this is what I am going to do. I might do a side campaign just for myself if i ever get time for it. Logistically though I dimly don't want to have to duel with all the overlap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:

Nice going. I was considering this but I just felt it would take to long to finish the game like this, having to do it "two times".

Just curious, how are you planing to handle enchantments? My idea would be to use sleeves and put the stickers on the sleeves, and then change sleeves for the different parties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Malama wrote:
Xaqery wrote:

Nice going. I was considering this but I just felt it would take to long to finish the game like this, having to do it "two times".

Just curious, how are you planing to handle enchantments? My idea would be to use sleeves and put the stickers on the sleeves, and then change sleeves for the different parties.

Yeah I have not figured that out yet. I guess I have to use sleeves. I already sleeve the ability cards to its not too hard.

The difficulty will be keeping track of which sleeves go with which party/class

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.