Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Hendrickson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group loves this game (we play it weekly) and I'm starting to get the itch for new content, given the lack of any news about expansions. Has anyone tried any of the fan expansions for 7 Wonders? Any that stand out as being particularly interesting/worth looking into printing? I took a glance at Empires, but the Aggression token really turned me off (especially since I feel that the anniversary packs did a much better job of making military more viable).

For what it's worth, we do already own just about everything worth owning. The only things we don't have are the promos (Catan + the promo leaders) and Babel, which we tried and nobody liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nearly every fan expansion and each one offers different options. So it depends on what your group likes.

In order I would recommend:

Lost Wonders: A major increase in Wonder boards will really change up the game.

Ruins: Some of our group really likes Ruins (myself included). However others in that same group despise it. For myself, I find other expansions are continually increasing the overall score of the game and Ruins is the first one to bring them back down. Your civilization begins with a major flaw (actually 3 of them) and its up to you to overcome them. I just find this twist unique and different.

Myths: Not my favorite, but still some interesting ideas here. I personally find it adds an element that seems to slow the game down.

Sailors: Excellent idea for large game groups, but it seems to fail a bit (at least with our group). I've been trying to adjust it to see if it will encourage more use of the sailor cards.

Empires: We've really never played much of this expansion. Only added the wonder boards into the mix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Moutel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group we now always play with:
* all official expansions: Leaders, Cities & Babel
* Collection
* Sailors
* Ruins
* Faith

It makes a lot of thinks that can act together and gives very pleasant games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use all official epxansions except Babel and the Anniversary Packs, plus all promos, all fan-created wonders (Collection, Empires, etc), and leaders from a fan-created pack called Successors.

I almost always add Sailors (I wouldn't in a 3-player game). I'd rate it 8/10.

I appreciate Ruins, though I don't use it very often. I'd rate it 6/10.

I've played with Myths once or twice, but generally I feel its more trouble than its worth. I'd rate it 5/10.

Also, here is a reference card for use when setting up multiple fan expansions. It can get quite confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I highly recommend Empires and the Lost Wonders. All of the boards are well balanced against all the official boards and the optional added elements (e.g., aggression) actually work extremely well in practice. (You can skip that one bit and just use the other boards/cards though.) Add in all the official expansions, and that's more than enough boards/mechanics to keep you busy for a while.

Personally, I dislike the Collection/Ruins/Sailors boards. They don't use consistent iconography and the boards aren't necessarily balanced well. Some are more obviously flawed than others.

Myths is balanced well, but I generally prefer to use Leaders instead. They perform similar functions, but Leaders is more strategic where Myths is more tactical. As context, I tend not to favor both halves of Babel for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, for someone who is a total fan-expansion-virgin;

HOW do you play with them? As in; do you just print the cards and wonders on paper and just have sheets of paper between the game? Or do you actually go to a store to print it on cards and carton?

I'd love to get some fan expansions in the mix, but my group really doesn't like normal paper in such a game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpiritReacher wrote:
HOW do you play with them?

I printed them on thick white cardstock, laminated them for durability (optional), and slid them into the same type of sleeves I used for the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get some of those fan-made wonders. They are not all great and well balanced but some are really nice. Some of our favourite boards are:

- Antiochia
- Angkor Wat
- Babel (I'm not talking about the offical expansion)
- Lhasa
- Brigadoon

Capua looks cool but it is often too weak. Same with Pompeii. But from time to time we enjoy playing these too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Randleman
United States
flag msg tools
My group(s) have played nearly 300 games of 7 wonders, so obviously we love the game. I have in my collection both lost wonders and lost wonders 2 expansions, the wonders collection expansion (50+ wonder board) I have the Myths expansion, the Sailors expansion, and the Empires expansion, to go along with official expansions Leaders and Cities. The expansion we use most often is Empires. Empires gives you the Jerusalem wonder board which gives you the ability to buy off of everybody in the game, plus 8 new wonder boards which go very well with the original boards, as well as aggression which I think is fantastic and a great counter balance to diplomacy. Sailors is okay, we don't use it very often, mostly because one of the main mechanisms in the game, allowing you to buy from anybody, is done with Empires, but better I think. Lost wonders 1 and 2, as well as the wonders collection add great variety to your wonder boards. We do play with Myths, not very often, but I think it's kinda a neat change up and I enjoy playing Myths. If I had to only print out one expansion, it would be Empires. It fits in thematically with the base game, and has great additions (aggression and Jerusalem). As far as printing them out, it's pretty easy. Just buy some mat board from hobby lobby, print your wonder boards and cards off at kinkos or Fedex, (use label paper for the wonder boards) and then just basically cut to size and affix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.