The Legend of Korra: Pro-Bending Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Compiled Rulebook Errors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of errors in the rulebooks. I've compiled a list of errors for each rulebook below. As we get clarification from IDW or the designers, I'll update this list with errata. If you find any additional errors, please post them and I'll update the list.

Base Game Rulebook Errors
- Page 4-5: The setup rules read top-to-bottom, but the text boxes suggest reading them in a different (incorrect) order. Consider reorganizing the text or graphic to improve readability.

-Page 12: Follow Up, 2 Adjacent Spaces box. The card and the image say to put two water element tokens, but the text says to put 2 in one space and 1 in a different space.

Designer Response: The picture is correct, the example text is mistaken. It should read:
"In this example, you would place 3 tokens in one space, then 2 tokens in two different spaces adjacent to the first space." -- or something to that effect.

-Page 14, third line - "Counter Bend Ability" is misspelled as "Counter Bend bility".

-Page 17: Stay Sharp!, Step 1: If you played any cards for Chi in the Play Hard! phase, they should already be in the discard pile. The text says to put all 3 technique cards in the discard pile, but some may already be there. A minor quibble, but clearing up the language here could prevent confusion.

-Page 18: The image here does not match the text on page 17.
--Step 1 is supposed to show discarding of all cards, yet there are only 2 cards shown (and none in the discard pile from playing for Chi). Furthermore, the High Tide card appears not to have been discarded in further steps.
--Step 2 shows the gained Technique card, Spiral Flare Kick, going into a player's hand. It should be going on top of the Main deck. Also, as previously mentioned, High Tide is still in the player's hand for some reason.
--Step 3 shows a card from the right Strategy Deck going into any slot of the Strategy Row. The previous page says it must go into the slot below the Strategy Deck it was drawn from, so there's some confusion there. Also, Spiral Flare Kick has reappeared in the Strategy Row though I'm not sure if that was intentional.
--Step 4 again has High Tide in it for some reason.

Designer Response: The text is correct. The steps are:

1. Discard the Technique cards played (any spent for Focus will already be discarded).

2. Gain cards, putting them on top of your deck.

3. Pick one strategy deck and flip the top card into its slot (you will never have more than one card per element showing, the arrows on the image are misleading).

4. Draw 3 cards.

-The Table of contents seems to be off by two pages for a number of entries.
--Check Hits is on page 15, not 17.
--Stay Sharp is on page 17, not 19.
--I'm not sure if the reference to the Example turn at page 15 is accurate. You have many many examples of each phase or step or action of a turn, but never a whole turn.
--Referee calls the match, Advanced rules, custom strategy decks, and trick cards are on page 19, not 21.
--Fantasy Team building and Credits are on page 21, not 23.

-Either all the entries below are errors, or that advert for the Amon Expansion is meant to be somewhere in the middle of the rulebook (presumably around pages 14 to 15 given the errors only happen to pages beyond 13) and subsequent page numbers increased by 2.
--Page 4, Step 2 and Page 5, step 7: Advanced rules are on page 19, not 21.
--Page 6, Win conditions 2, 3, and 4: Referee calls the match is on page 19, not 21.
--Page 6, Play Hard!: Stay Sharp! is on page 17, not 19. There are two instances of this error in this section.
--Page 13, Team Board Breakdown. Trick Card slots are on page 19, not 21.
--Page 17, Stay Sharp! Step 3, part i: Referee calls the match is on page 19, not 21.
--Page 17, Stay Sharp! Step 5: Line Advance is on page 16, not 18.
--Page 21: "Customized Strategy" is on Page 19, not 21. Also, it's called "Custom Strategy Decks" on that page and in the Table of contents.

Amon's Invasion Expansion Errors
-Page 2: Amon is misspelled with a dash (Am-on) in the flavor text.

-Page 5-6: Step 10 of the setup on page 5 says "Place 1 of your Benders on each outside space of Zone B", but the image on the next page shows those Benders in Zone C instead.

-Page 6, Step 16: The text refers to the yellow background Amon Technique cards as having numbers in the corner. The referenced cards seem to have letters, not numbers.

-Pages 6-7: Step 16 in the bottom black-bordered box of setup continues on page 7 in the top black-bordered box. While this may have been intentional, it's a bit confusing since the boxes extend across the fold, leading a reader to believe they should read an entire box left to right before reading the other. There's a similar thing in the main rulebook, but all steps there are clearly numbered with no overflow so it's not confusing.

-Page 15, Step 2: The word 'alphabetically' is misspelled as 'aphabetically'.

-Page 22: "If a Chi-blocker is moved off any side of the arena, they are removed from play and you can no longer activate them." Does this mean chi-blockers can be knocked off the board from the right and left sides of Zones A and B? Or just from either team's Zone C? Also, does pushing a Chi-blocker off the arena count as a Knock Out (main rules, pg 16), gaining Amon 3 Chi and the opponent the Momentum Token?

Designer Response: The answer is yes, Chi Blockers can be knocked off the sides of the arena in Zones A and B as well as the back of Zone C.

Pushing Chi Blockers out does not count as a knock out.

-Equalist Team Board (Solo Side): How does Amon track Chi? There doesn't appear to be any Chi tracker on this board. Does Amon even get Chi? If not, how does he gain Technique cards?

Designer Response: Amon definitely gains and spends Chi as normal, so using an unused teams board [to track chi] is a good solution.

-Amon (Solo Bender) comes with 6 bloodbending tokens but can only use 4 at a time. It's very possible the other two are just extras in case some tokens get lost.

-Amon's Bloodbending ability appears to be mis-classified as a modifier on page 22. The images of his cards on page 21 and 23 show the bloodbend as an ability, not a modifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! Thanks for the fine toothed combing of the rulebook. I think the rest are just formatting and typos, but if I missed a rules question let me know and I'll get you an answer!

DoctorBandage wrote:

-Page 22: "If a Chi-blocker is moved off any side of the arena, they are removed from play and you can no longer activate them." Does this mean chi-blockers can be knocked off the board from the right and left sides of Zones A and B? Or just from either team's Zone C? Also, does pushing a Chi-blocker off the arena count as a Knock Out (main rules, pg 16), gaining Amon 3 Chi and the opponent the Momentum Token?

The answer is yes, Chi Blockers can be knocked off the sides of the arena in Zones A and B as well as the back of Zone C.

Pushing Chi Blockers out does not count as a knock out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Always love to get direct designer responses to questions. As you said, a lot of the errors can be chalked up to typos or formatting. But there are a few more things that I think should be clarified/confirmed. If you're offering, I think getting an official ruling on the following would go a long way.

There are three more things that I think need an official confirmation/clarification.

Quote:
-Page 12: Follow Up, 2 Adjacent Spaces box. The card and the image say to put two water element tokens in 2 different space, but the text says to put 2 in one space and 1 in a different space.

The text should say "In this example, you would place 2 tokens in 1 Space, and 2 tokens in a different Space.", correct?

Quote:
--Step 1 is supposed to show discarding of all cards, yet there are only 2 cards shown (and none in the discard pile from playing for Chi). Furthermore, the High Tide card appears not to have been discarded in further steps.
--Step 2 shows the gained Technique card, Spiral Flare Kick, going into a player's hand. It should be going on top of the Main deck. Also, as previously mentioned, High Tide is still in the player's hand for some reason.
--Step 3 shows a card from the right Strategy Deck going into any slot of the Strategy Row. The previous page says it must go into the slot below the Strategy Deck it was drawn from, so there's some confusion there. Also, Spiral Flare Kick has reappeared in the Strategy Row though I'm not sure if that was intentional.

Is the text on page 17 correct or is the image on page 18 correct? The two contradict each other in several places. More specifically, the differences in Step 2 and Step 3 could affect gameplay. Step 2 is only an issue if you buy more than three cards, since cards you put on top of your main deck will go into your hand in step 4 anyway. The difference between Step 3 is a much bigger problem. The text says you must put the drawn technique card in the Strategy Row slot below the deck it was drawn from, but the image indicates you can place it in any slot. This could make a lot of difference, as the image's version gives the player a lot more flexibility in how the Strategy row is structured.

Quote:
-Equalist Team Board (Solo Side): How does Amon track Chi? There doesn't appear to be any Chi tracker on this board. Does Amon even get Chi? If not, how does he gain Technique cards?

This question is based off what I'm seeing in the artwork for the solo bender Equalist team board. I don't have the actual physical version of the teamboard in hand, so I can only base this question off the rulebook images. My gut feeling is that you're supposed to use an unused teamboard to track Amon's Chi, but the rules aren't clear about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:

Quote:
-Page 12: Follow Up, 2 Adjacent Spaces box. The card and the image say to put two water element tokens in 2 different space, but the text says to put 2 in one space and 1 in a different space.

The text should say "In this example, you would place 2 tokens in 1 Space, and 2 tokens in a different Space.", correct?

The picture is correct, the example text is mistaken. It should read:
"In this example, you would place 3 tokens in one space, then 2 tokens in two different spaces adjacent to the first space." -- or something to that effect.

Quote:
Quote:

Is the text on page 17 correct or is the image on page 18 correct? The two contradict each other in several places. More specifically, the differences in Step 2 and Step 3 could affect gameplay. Step 2 is only an issue if you buy more than three cards, since cards you put on top of your main deck will go into your hand in step 4 anyway. The difference between Step 3 is a much bigger problem. The text says you must put the drawn technique card in the Strategy Row slot below the deck it was drawn from, but the image indicates you can place it in any slot. This could make a lot of difference, as the image's version gives the player a lot more flexibility in how the Strategy row is structured.

The text is correct. The steps are:

1. Discard the Technique cards played (any spent for Focus will already be discarded).

2. Gain cards, putting them on top of your deck.

3. Pick one strategy deck and flip the top card into its slot (you will never have more than one card per element showing, the arrows on the image are misleading).

4. Draw 3 cards.

Quote:
Quote:

This question is based off what I'm seeing in the artwork for the solo bender Equalist team board. I don't have the actual physical version of the teamboard in hand, so I can only base this question off the rulebook images. My gut feeling is that you're supposed to use an unused teamboard to track Amon's Chi, but the rules aren't clear about this.

I don't have my copy of the game yet either, so I can't say about the board itself, but looking at the image you are right there is no Chi track. Amon definitely gains and spends Chi as normal, so using an unused teams board is a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! That clears up all the gameplay-altering errors I noticed. Thanks for such a prompt response.

If I may, I do have one follow up question. So for 3-bender teams you're required to put the card drawn from the strategy card deck into the slot directly below it. How does this work for solo benders? It's my understanding that they have two strategy slots but only one strategy deck (per the text and images in the Amon rulebook). I assume solo benders break the normal rules and are allowed to choose which strategy slot the card goes into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
Awesome! That clears up all the gameplay-altering errors I noticed. Thanks for such a prompt response.

If I may, I do have one follow up question. So for 3-bender teams you're required to put the card drawn from the strategy card deck into the slot directly below it. How does this work for solo benders? It's my understanding that they have two strategy slots but only one strategy deck (per the text and images in the Amon rulebook). I assume solo benders break the normal rules and are allowed to choose which strategy slot the card goes into?

Your intuitions about solo bender's are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all the questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korsberg
United States
University Heights
OH
flag msg tools
mb
I believe Page 5 of the Amon rulebook has a typo. It says in step 10, "Place 1 of your benders on each outside space of Zone B..." I think it should say Zone C to match the image on the next page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hildebran
msg tools

Got a reply on this contradiction in the amon book: the text is correct, the diagram is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegamesthief wrote:
Got a reply on this contradiction in the amon book: the text is correct, the diagram is not.

Can you be a bit more specific? The text says a 2-person bending team goes in zone B (outside two spaces), but a solo bender goes in zone c (middle space). The image shows all benders starting in Zone C. Do 2-person teams really start a whole zone closer to the Chi-blockers? That feels odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
thegamesthief wrote:

Can you be a bit more specific? The text says a 2-person bending team goes in zone B (outside two spaces), but a solo bender goes in zone c (middle space). The image shows all benders starting in Zone C. Do 2-person teams really start a whole zone closer to the Chi-blockers? That feels odd.

I do believe the text is incorrect in this case. 2 person teams start in the outside spaces of Zone C, while solo's start in the middle space. I'll say that confidently now, but confer with Sen today to be double sure and report back with a final definitive answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessey, a quick question on chained and dual follow-ups.

So modifiers can only be added to a successful attack - if you do not control any tokens in a Space that you attacked, you cannot apply a modifier there (page 11). Clearly this means if the initial attack was completely annihilated by existing element tokens, there can be no follow-up attacks.

But what about chained Follow-ups (like Korra's Reverse the Current card, shown on page 7) or Follow-ups to two adjacents spaces (like Korra's Serpent's Breath card, shown on page 12)? If one of the follow-ups is 'unsuccessful' - that is all elemental token you would place are annihilated by existing opponent tokens - are all subsequent follow ups stopped?

Two examples:
1. Using Korra's Reverse the Current (Pierce 3 -> Follow-up 2 -> Follow-up 2), you make a successful attack in one space and place 3 tokens. You then place two tokens in an adjacent space, but this space already contains 2 opponent's element tokens. All your tokens from the first follow-up are annihilated. Do you still get to make the 2nd follow-up attack?

2. Using Korra's Serpent's Breath (Pierce 3 -> Dual Follow-up 2), you make a successful attack in one zone and place 3 tokens. You may now place 2 tokens in two (different) adjacent spaces. If you place 2 tokens into an adjacent zone with 2+ opponent's elemental tokens first, are you still allowed to place tokens in the other space?

My initial impression from the rulebook is no to example 1, but yes to example 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:

Two examples:
1. Using Korra's Reverse the Current (Pierce 3 -> Follow-up 2 -> Follow-up 2), you make a successful attack in one space and place 3 tokens. You then place two tokens in an adjacent space, but this space already contains 2 opponent's element tokens. All your tokens from the first follow-up are annihilated. Do you still get to make the 2nd follow-up attack?

2. Using Korra's Serpent's Breath (Pierce 3 -> Dual Follow-up 2), you make a successful attack in one zone and place 3 tokens. You may now place 2 tokens in two (different) adjacent spaces. If you place 2 tokens into an adjacent zone with 2+ opponent's elemental tokens first, are you still allowed to place tokens in the other space?

My initial impression from the rulebook is no to example 1, but yes to example 2.

This is an excellent question, and a corner case that probably should be called out specifically in the rules (or a FAQ). Your impressions are correct.

In example 1 the sequence of the follow ups matters and so that play would "stop" the follow up, while in example 2 they follow ups are separate and don't depend on one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessey, I thought of another edge case you might want to consider patching. I don't know how often this situation would realistically occur since its based on a questionable strategy, but it might come up. I was thinking a bit about common strategies in deckbuilding games and wondering how they might work with Pro-Bending's pseudo-deckbuilding. While thinking about deck thinning strategies, I stumbled across this little problem.

For a normal 3-bender team you are allowed to remove a card whenever your discard pile is shuffled. A team's starting Main deck consists of 6 basic technique cards. If a team never buys any advanced/signature cards, they will need to shuffle the discard pile and can thus remove a card at the end of turns 2, 3, and 4 (if I've done my card math right). This leaves them with 3 cards in the main deck.

In the rules right now, there doesn't appear to be anything preventing you from removing a card on the next turn, even though it would bring your main deck below the three card hand size. I'm not 100% sure why someone would want to willingly do this (maybe if two of their benders are KO'd early and they want to clear all of those bender's cards out before buying new techniques?), but it seems like an edge case you and Sen could patch with an short FAQ entry of perhaps a short line of text on page 17. Perhaps something along the lines of "You may remove 1 card in your discard pile from the game, provided there are at least 4 cards between the discard pile and your hand."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
Jessey, I thought of another edge case you might want to consider patching. I don't know how often this situation would realistically occur since its based on a questionable strategy, but it might come up. I was thinking a bit about common strategies in deckbuilding games and wondering how they might work with Pro-Bending's pseudo-deckbuilding. While thinking about deck thinning strategies, I stumbled across this little problem.

For a normal 3-bender team you are allowed to remove a card whenever your discard pile is shuffled. A team's starting Main deck consists of 6 basic technique cards. If a team never buys any advanced/signature cards, they will need to shuffle the discard pile and can thus remove a card at the end of turns 2, 3, and 4 (if I've done my card math right). This leaves them with 3 cards in the main deck.

In the rules right now, there doesn't appear to be anything preventing you from removing a card on the next turn, even though it would bring your main deck below the three card hand size. I'm not 100% sure why someone would want to willingly do this (maybe if two of their benders are KO'd early and they want to clear all of those bender's cards out before buying new techniques?), but it seems like an edge case you and Sen could patch with an short FAQ entry of perhaps a short line of text on page 17. Perhaps something along the lines of "You may remove 1 card in your discard pile from the game, provided there are at least 4 cards between the discard pile and your hand."

Interesting case.

The 2 card case definitely isn't something to worry about, as the answer to the question "What do I do if I get down to 2 cards?!" Is "You lose the game because you're now taking one action less than the opponent". The only thing I'd consider a patch for is if this kind of culling is degenerate/optimal.

That'd said, I'd hesitate to apply a patch even then because it's not fast enough to be 'degenerate'. Card power ramps up significantly and not buying cards for 4 turns will be a difficult length of time to stay alive (so there's a risk/reward to this strategy). I think only the first player could even opt to try this, as they get to set the pace and aren't under as much pressure to efficiently react in the beginning of the game, buying a bit of breathing room. Once your opponent buys one card that will likely flip and you'll have to work very hard to stay afloat. If you did it, you could get yourself down to 3 cards only and by turn 7 have exactly 3 cards all purchased in your deck. That's typically the time the referee dice starts getting rolled (as usually a bender is KOd, and with this strategy I think that is certain to happen -- you may need to aim for a strategic KO). The payoff is that you will eventually be playing the same amazing 3 cards turn after turn, letting you set up a high pressure final push. It would, I think, be a difficult enough achievement to get there that if it does all but guarantee a win, it's earned.

In any case, I'd love to hear how it goes if you try this - but it seems more apt for strategy discussion than a concern about the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd definitely admit that this is a situation that will probably only come up in theory. I haven't played enough to know the relative power difference between basic and advanced cards, so I wasn't sure how viable this kind of strategy would be, but it sounds like not very. I already had some concerns about the strategy since getting down to 3 cards guarantees that you'll get the same three cards all the time, but your opponent now also knows what's in your hand. If they know what your cards will be, they can tailor their attacks to exactly what you cant do.

In either case, the only reason I thought it was even worth mentioning to you was that there didn't seem to be a failsafe for going below the hand size. I think I'll have to try this strategy once on a lark, but othewise you're probably right that this is a solution searching for a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessey, I have a few more FAQ-style questions that came up in different threads and during play.

-Are there any limits to how you build a strategy deck other than all the cards must match a benders element and name? For example, are you required to add the signature card to the deck? If you own multiple copies of the signature card (because you've bought multiple copies of the game), can you use them all in a strategy deck?

-Similarly, are there any limitations on picking tricks, especially if you own multiple copies? The rules say they have to be from the same set (either all blue bordered tricks or all orange bordered tricks) and I assume you cannot pick a trick that does not match one of your Benders (ie, Mako cannot use a trick with P'Li's face on it). But if you owned multiple base games, could you choose to bring something like Ignite a Spark twice or three times?

-This one seems rather obvious, but you cannot substitute one of your benders for a solo-bender, correct? For instance you're not allowed to swap Mako for P'Li onto the Fire Ferret team.

-When using Korra as the Avatar (solo bender), can you swap out any of the cards in her strategy deck for regular (non-solo bender) Fire Ferret Korra cards?

-Are there any rules or guidelines pertaining to what information is considered open knowledge? For instance, am I allowed to look through my own discard pile (any time mid-game, not just when looking for a card to remove)? Am I allowed to look through my opponent's discard pile? Do I have to show my opponent what cards I remove from the main deck? Do I have to show my opponent what cards I just bought (in case they weren't paying attention)? Is my opponent allowed to see my advanced/signature cards (and vice versa) before the match begins? Is the remaining number of cards in the main deck and/or strategy deck public knowledge?

-When mixing and matching benders to create a custom team, you and your opponent can clearly differentiate which bender's cards are coming in the main deck because the backs are all different. Is that intentional or just a side effect? Follow-up question: if it's a side effect (and you were going to run some sort of semi-official tournament), would you recommend sleeving the cards with opaque backed sleeves to remove this advantage/disadvantage?

-This is more of a variant thing, but could you keep tricks a secret until they're played? For instance, you choose your three tricks, but then place them all facedown in the team board slots. When you play a trick, you flip it over and if it's not removed, it stays face up and is open information for the rest of the game.

---

You don't have to answer the following two if you're contractually obligated not to say anything, but I thought I might as well ask.

-Any plans to offer more plastic element tokens? I really like them, but there just aren't enough sometimes and I don't like resorting to mixed cardboard/plastic.

-How are the tournament/sudden-death rules coming? Haven't heard much about that since update #10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:

-Are there any limits to how you build a strategy deck other than all the cards must match a benders element and name? For example, are you required to add the signature card to the deck? If you own multiple copies of the signature card (because you've bought multiple copies of the game), can you use them all in a strategy deck?

Signature moves are not required, but are limited to 1 of (there's no reason to have more than one copy unless you want to play multiple games at once).

Quote:
-Similarly, are there any limitations on picking tricks, especially if you own multiple copies? The rules say they have to be from the same set (either all blue bordered tricks or all orange bordered tricks) and I assume you cannot pick a trick that does not match one of your Benders (ie, Mako cannot use a trick with P'Li's face on it). But if you owned multiple base games, could you choose to bring something like Ignite a Spark twice or three times?

Each trick is also one of. We designed the game with the intent that one box is all you'll ever need, but didn't make that clear in the team building rules.

The solo bender tricks are restricted as you describe.

Quote:
-This one seems rather obvious, but you cannot substitute one of your benders for a solo-bender, correct? For instance you're not allowed to swap Mako for P'Li onto the Fire Ferret team.

Definitely not!

Quote:
-When using Korra as the Avatar (solo bender), can you swap out any of the cards in her strategy deck for regular (non-solo bender) Fire Ferret Korra cards?

Officially, no (but that sounds like a fun variant to experiment with!)

Quote:
-Are there any rules or guidelines pertaining to what information is considered open knowledge? For instance, am I allowed to look through my own discard pile (any time mid-game, not just when looking for a card to remove)? Am I allowed to look through my opponent's discard pile? Do I have to show my opponent what cards I remove from the main deck? Do I have to show my opponent what cards I just bought (in case they weren't paying attention)? Is my opponent allowed to see my advanced/signature cards (and vice versa) before the match begins? Is the remaining number of cards in the main deck and/or strategy deck public knowledge?

There are no rules specifically for these things, although now that you've brought it up we should put rules for these things in the tournament rule set (so thank you!). That said, in general if its public knowledge (like discards, cards you bought) then you can look through it, and if it's hidden you can't (ie, you don't have to show cards you removed from your deck, nor do you have to show the contents of your decks before the game begins). The number of cards left in your decks are public.

Quote:
-When mixing and matching benders to create a custom team, you and your opponent can clearly differentiate which bender's cards are coming in the main deck because the backs are all different. Is that intentional or just a side effect? Follow-up question: if it's a side effect (and you were going to run some sort of semi-official tournament), would you recommend sleeving the cards with opaque backed sleeves to remove this advantage/disadvantage?

It's part of the 'cost' of creating a custom team.

That said, if all players in your tournament agree to use opaque sleeves, then I see no deep problems with doing so. It would be a problem if only some players are doing it, however.

One thing that's going into the tournament rules on this point, however, is that when using a mixed team after you shuffle your deck you must cut it once (just so no one gets accused of shuffling a specific character's card to the top of the deck because you can see its back).

Quote:

-This is more of a variant thing, but could you keep tricks a secret until they're played? For instance, you choose your three tricks, but then place them all facedown in the team board slots. When you play a trick, you flip it over and if it's not removed, it stays face up and is open information for the rest of the game.

That's a viable variant! I kind of like it Definitely a bit more advanced than just using tricks (as you want to be able to remember what your tricks are so you don't have to check them constantly), but I see no problem with it.

---

Quote:

-How are the tournament/sudden-death rules coming? Haven't heard much about that since update #10.

They're coming! We've been working on them (as alluded to above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Liu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest adding to the list of rulebook errors that all opponent tokens are removed at the end of Check Hits!

I know it is on page 6, but the absence on page 15 is (IMHO) an error as you shouldn't need to flip back and/or remember to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add on to Jonathan's point:

The idea of removing all tokens is sort of there on page 15, but it's missing some precision of language to really drive the point home.

Check Hits! Step 1 wrote:
Look at each Space containing your
opponent’s Elemental tokens. If the
Space has no Benders in it, remove your
opponent’s tokens from that Space.

The first sentence should tell you to look at spaces containing any of your opponent's tokens, not just elemental tokens. Similarly, the second sentence should clarify that all of your opponent's tokens (including hold, pressure, etc.) are removed, not just elemental tokens.

Check Hits! Step 2 wrote:
If a Space with your opponent’s tokens
also has 1 or more of your Benders in it,
they are hit. Benders suffer 1 hit for each
of your opponent’s Elemental tokens in
their Space. If you have multiple Benders
in a Space occupied by your opponent’s
Elemental tokens, all of those Benders
suffer the full number of hits.

In the first sentence here you need to do the opposite of step 1 and clarify that you mean only Elemental tokens cause hits. It's clarified in the second sentence, but you should add the word elemental to the first sentence to avoid anyone thinking that hold or pressure tokens cause hits too. Finally, you need a sentence at the end of this step (or maybe at the end of step 3) that tells you to remove all (including hold, etc) opponent's tokens from the space.

Step 3 seems fine to me.

Alternatively, you could clarify that steps 1 and 2 are ONLY for elemental tokens, and add a 4th step that clears all other types of tokens from the arena (hold, pressure, etc). I think changing steps 1 and 2 would be clearer, but this alternative gives better parallel structure with page 6's abridged version of Check Hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more questions from another thread (Edit added some more):

-Can combustion Tokens be blocked (by a block action)?

-Do combustion tokens need to follow spreading rules (with other combustion tokens, sort of acting as a 'fourth' elemental token type)?

-Do combustion tokens count as elemental tokens? This is related to the questions above, but also more specifically how does the Cleansing Water trick affect combustion tokens?

-Unless otherwise noted you must do all parts of a trick card, correct? Even if those actions may be detrimental (such as with the Deep Tremors trick)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
-Can combustion Tokens be blocked (by a block action)?

No, they are not elemental tokens. They can be removed by effects that can remove any token from the board, but not effects that specifically remove elemental tokens.

Quote:
-Do combustion tokens need to follow spreading rules (with other combustion tokens, sort of acting as a 'fourth' elemental token type)?

No. Combustion bending tokens are in the same category as Hold and Pressure tokens - special tokens, not elemental tokens or attacks.

Quote:
-Do combustion tokens count as elemental tokens? This is related to the questions above, but also more specifically how does the Cleansing Water trick affect combustion tokens?

They do not.

Quote:
-Unless otherwise noted you must do all parts of a trick card, correct? Even if those actions may be detrimental (such as with the Deep Tremors trick)?

That is correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korsberg
United States
University Heights
OH
flag msg tools
mb
Will there be a version 2 of the rulebook released, perhaps in PDF form, with all of the errors corrected and clarifications included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyuun wrote:
Will there be a version 2 of the rulebook released, perhaps in PDF form, with all of the errors corrected and clarifications included?

Yup! We're working on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korsberg
United States
University Heights
OH
flag msg tools
mb
Candi wrote:

Quote:

That is correct!

For a point of clarification, once the black-text requirements are met for a trick card, would you say you are "required to do all of the text, if possible"? Meaning you could skip over effects that don't apply? Or can you not even use the trick if you can't do all of the effects? I assume the former, as that is how technique cards work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.