Subject: Contents of a player aid booklet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
So, I'm am wanting to put together a booklet for each member of my group with commonly referenced stuff in it. Primarily I wanted to make sure each player had copies of the town location sheets so we didn't have to keep passing them around. But I figured if I was going to do that I should put other useful stuff in there too. So I am asking people, what all should go into such a booklet? So far I've got this stuff

All the town locations (both western and wasteland), reduced so both sides of each card fit on 1 page.
Travel Hazard chart
Wasteland travel hazard chart
Mutation Chart
Injury and Madness charts
Depth event charts for each world
the cards for each specialty town
misc rules for town stays (maybe?)
The ally stat cards.
Sidebag token reference
Rules for Assault, Shootout, and so on
Rules for all the conditions (bleeding, poison, etc...)

Anything else? Anyone want to make a case for NOT including some of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Ahnatal
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only put in the town locations and a side bag token reference.
I'm unsure about the ally stat cards, because i don't own them so far.
The other charts are useful for the GameMaster to keep in one booklet. If you have none or want to spread the work then split the booklet. But i don't think it will be useful for most players to have a copy too.
We actually play on three tables so sometimes less is more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am also thinking about something like this (but I did not yet receive my wave 2, so that still has to wait a little).

First off, I think your list of items is too diverse to have just one booklet of everything, and in six copies... Not everything would see the same usage at every phase of a Brimstone session and/or with all players. E.g. the Town Charts are useful during the Town phase, but the Assault etc would be useful during the Mine/Other World phase. I would not combine all that in one booklet. Moreover smaller booklets make for less waste if/when one decides to create a new version (as will invariably happen with this game; Forbidden Fortress anyone?).

DistantOasis wrote:
Primarily I wanted to make sure each player had copies of the town location sheets so we didn't have to keep passing them around. (...) All the town locations (both western and wasteland), reduced so both sides of each card fit on 1 page.

I think that this could be very practical. Everyone consults the booklet at the start of the Town phase for planning purposes, and after that for every day they stay in Town. Having both sides of one location next to the other makes everything easier. I probably would make it a little booklet (A5), so page 1 would be a title page and after that the two pages of the same location on a different piece of paper, but next to each other.
Maybe have Frontier, Wasteland and Japanese each in their own booklet, though.

DistantOasis wrote:
Travel Hazard chart
Wasteland travel hazard chart

These Worlds would each get their own single booklet (for me at least; size: A5) 'cause I'm working (and some other people as well, over at FB) on a bigger Travel Hazard Chart... One book(let) should suffice, because we wouldn't roll/resolve our Travel Hazards simultaneously but rather sequentially. One booklet per environment for the owner of the game (or one of the other players) is all that I think is necessary.

DistantOasis wrote:
Mutation Chart
Injury and Madness charts

As I have cards for these (thanks, Klutz!), I see no need for this: roll the dice and then grab the right card.

DistantOasis wrote:
Depth event charts for each world

Could be just the one copy of a seperate small booklet to be used (by the bearer of the Lantern, probably). Combine all charts in one, enlarging it with the new charts from FoFo later on.

DistantOasis wrote:
misc rules for town stays (maybe?)

I don't know yet how the Frontier Town will change the rules, but maybe the flowchart (see below) will be enough.

DistantOasis wrote:
Sidebag token reference
Rules for Assault, Shootout, and so on
Rules for all the conditions (bleeding, poison, etc...)

I think these could be combined in one two-sided chart (A4? A5?).

I would split parts of my Flowchart among the players to have everyone keep an eye on the flow of our game. The HBtD chart would probably go to the holder of the Lantern.

For reference, I want to have one booklet with a list of all Missions that have a certain trait (which World to start in, what tile to start on, which World will we go to, ...). This could help when we need to decide on our next Mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.