5 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: Original vs 5th Anniversary edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Conroy
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm interested in Tokaido but I'm not sure if I should pick up the original version while I still can or go for the 5th Anniversary edition when it hits the shelves.

Living in Australia, the deluxe version can still be found (which would be nice to have) but it's about 4 times more expensive than the regular version so I've pretty much ruled that out.

I like the artwork on the original box, especially the large 'Tokaido' text. I much prefer the original font over the new one too.

I'm trying to find comparisons of old vs new artwork but haven't really had much luck. I can see that the new cards don't have borders but I would like to see a couple of old vs new cards side-by-side to see the differences. I'd also like to know if the quality is the same or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for whichever is cheaper. The original version is perfectly lovely, although I haven't actually seen the 5th Anniversary version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KirovThug wrote:
I'd go for whichever is cheaper. The original version is perfectly lovely, although I haven't actually seen the 5th Anniversary version.
5th anniv. edition is REALLY NICE. However, not sure if it's worth 4x as much. For most of us, even those who enjoy the game... probably not. OTOH, if you like something enough, you'll be willing to (over)spend on it (e.g. sleeves, pimping out boards and pieces, printing your own reference sheets, custom storage solutions like DIY or Broken Token), and there isn't anything necessarily wrong with that either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
KirovThug wrote:
5th anniv. edition is REALLY NICE. However, not sure if it's worth 4x as much. For most of us, even those who enjoy the game... probably not. OTOH, if you like something enough, you'll be willing to (over)spend on it (e.g. sleeves, pimping out boards and pieces, printing your own reference sheets, custom storage solutions like DIY or Broken Token), and there isn't anything necessarily wrong with that either

Can you elaborate on what you like about it? I'm on the fence myself. We already own the standard and deluxe editions (and expansions), including the new minis. I've heard they will be releasing the updated expansions to match the new 5th anniversary artwork. I'm wondering if it's worth the bother. I like the idea of the slightly different artwork, just for a variety, but I worry how the quality of cards and components compares to the deluxe edition. I noticed the deluxe edition cards are a bit different than the standard release.

For those who already own it, I don't know that the new art is nice enough to buy it again when the changes are so minor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Conroy
Australia
flag msg tools
I ended up going for the original, what I've now seen described on Amazon as the "Out of Print Edition", version. Got it for a fairly decent price too, so I'm very happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.