Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pursuing my obsession with the Flamme Rouge: Peloton expansion I tried Stage 18 since it has hills and cobblestones! I played as usual solo BLACK against 5 bots with BLUE being the peleton bot.

So far, I've never tried to participate in the initial breakaway as it sounds like a waste of valuable cards. In fact, most bots get caught pretty early and then tend to run out of cards a turn or two before the finish line.

So in this race, all the racers were grouped until the cobblestones where things naturally stretch out. I tend to play conservatively, hanging near the back to keep my good cards until the end. However, the situation in the cobblestones made me worried...

Deciding that hanging back was over after the cobblestones, BLACK team was still hanging in there near the end of the race while a few bots were trying to claw their way back into the race after the damage created by the cobblestones.

Bots tend to not conserve their cards until the end (since their card pick is random) so my sprinter shot ahead using his precious "9" cards. Meanwhile my rouleur did what he could not to be stuck in traffic while using his "6" and "7" cards.

The hill at the end of the race adds and interesting twist slowing things down a bit yet creating major congestion. By then the initial break-away bots had run out of cards by the way. So my sprinter was able to rush up the hill and cross the finish line first.

The race for second and third was going to be fascinating. However, the bots don't play optimally since their card pick is random. Perhaps in future games I'll pick their best card for the final sprint... Nevertheless, this is the situation at the end of the game. My rouleur was able to come in third thanks to good card management. Coming in first and third was what I did in my previous race on a different course. Maybe I am ready to add a fourth exhaustion card at the beginning of the next race? Even though the end seemed easy to me, I was stressed out the entire race because of my strategy of hanging back until the end. So these races are always entertaining because the end is never obvious. that's a pretty cool aspect about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your win! That was a great report as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.