4 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Damage clarification, please. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Michou

Utah
msg tools
This recently came up in a game I had with a friend. I am relatively new to the game, so apologies if the answer seems like an obvious one.

My opponent has Venom: Angelo Fortunato in play who has the passive ability: "While Venom is active, your opponent's non-"Fist" characters get -2A and -2D."

I have a copy of Poison Ivy: Home & Garden in play, who has the ability: "KO character dice damaged by Poison Ivy at the end of the attack step, even if Poison Ivy is KO'd."

Ivy is a "Mask" character and is in play on her Level 2 face (2A and 4D), giving her 0A and 2D after Venom's penalties have been applied.

The question is: If my opponent attacks and I were to block with Ivy in her weakened state, what would happen?

Her ability specifically states that she has to "damage" her opponent in order for it to work, so this leads me to two possible scenarios:

1. With 0A she becomes incapable of damaging, and so her ability does not work.

2. Her 0A deals "0 damage" and her ability activates as normal.

The rule book states that "each blocking character assigns damage equal to its attack value to the character it blocks", so that would -seem- to imply that #2 is the correct one. I just want to make certain I'm interpreting this right.

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried asking this on two other forums without success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SMWW Rulebook, page 21:

Quote:
Some powers prevent a game effect (damage, drawing a die, etc.). This includes cards that “take no damage.” When an action is prevented, all of the effects of that ability are canceled, and that effect can no longer be reacted to. Costs for that ability are not refunded.

Since no damage is dealt, it cannot trigger anything, including Poison Ivy’s effect. So scenario #1 is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Michou

Utah
msg tools
Thank you very much. ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Paul. I was wracking my brain for where I had seen that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.