Subject: Will there be more Arena? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately we've seen Academy take off, and Mage Wars Arena expansions appear to have slowed down. I don't mind that too much. However, I'm wondering if Arena expansions are still in the works. We still haven't seen frost after all, which makes it feel kind of incomplete. So many ways to mitigate frost, so little frost, it kind of feels off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcane Wonders considers Academy sets to be expansions for Arena, since they are indeed designed and playtested to be used in both games. That's why you haven't seen as much Arena only product released. That's not to say there won't be more Arena only stuff, just that it's just more efficient to design for both simultaneously so that's what you're likely to see more of. I promise that nobody has forgotten about Frost though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Zlarp wrote:
Lately we've seen Academy take off

Where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
Zlarp wrote:

Where?

I was talking expansion wise. I don‘t know about sales success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Zlarp wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
Zlarp wrote:

Where?

I was talking expansion wise. I don‘t know about sales success.

I'm just trying to be funny...

Me and my buddies all bought the first one, and we played it lots, but something felt off to me. Maybe it was the lack of variety? I don't know.
I'm wondering if the new mages have made a difference... there are 2 more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 more at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
4 more at this point.

4 more, and 4 Academy products announced for release this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... And of the 6 mages available, I'd say Warlock and/or Priestess and/or Beastmaster are better first-time intro mages than Wizard, who is a bit NPE with his resource denial theme. Forcemaster and Warlord have more complexity, so I don't know if I'd include them when teaching the game, but they certainly add more variety for experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are (I believe) 14 Arena mages available:
- Beastmaster (Arena Core)
- Priestess (Arena Core)
- Wizard (Arena Core)
- Warlock (Arena Core)
- Druid (Druid vs Necromancer)
- Necromancer (Druid vs Necromancer)
- Forcemaster (Forcemaster vs Warlord)
- Orc Warlord (Forcemaster vs Warlord)
- Paladin (Paladin vs Siren)
- Siren (Paladin vs Siren)
- Female Warlock (Forged in Fire)
- Dwarf Warlord (Forged in Fire)
- Priest (Conquest of Kumanjaro)
- Female Beastmaster (Conquest of Kumanjaro)

http://www.arcanewonders.com/game/mage-wars-arena/

I have decided to stick with Arena and avoid Academy. If they want more of my money they need to bring out another Arena expansion - ideally covering frost, a female wizard, and the alleged sorcerer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulEvans wrote:

I have decided to stick with Arena and avoid Academy. If they want more of my money they need to bring out another Arena expansion - ideally covering frost, a female wizard, and the alleged sorcerer.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was initially apprehensive of the Academy Cards, and took a similar stance saying I would not purchase any Academy items and wait for Arena product... however I caved in due to the desire for additional content and found that a great deal of the Academy cards actually fit really well into Arena.

Just a thought, if you have yet to tap into the Academy card base, your definitely missing out of some good stuff for Mage Wars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordliss wrote:
I was initially apprehensive of the Academy Cards, and took a similar stance saying I would not purchase any Academy items and wait for Arena product... however I caved in due to the desire for additional content and found that a great deal of the Academy cards actually fit really well into Arena.

Just a thought, if you have yet to tap into the Academy card base, your definitely missing out of some good stuff for Mage Wars!

I have all of them - I'd swap them for one good Arena set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Arnold
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
Arcane Wonders considers Academy sets to be expansions for Arena, since they are indeed designed and playtested to be used in both games.

As a matter of fact, when I was introduced to Mage Wars by Arcane Wonders personnel at their booth they emphatically stated in their explanation to me that while the Academy cards would function within Arena, they would necessarily be underpowered and there would be better versions wholly contained within Arena playsets. I will readily admit this was early in the Academy release schedule, but from their own mouths they are necessarily weaker in an Arena format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see more Battleground expansions.

For example, a Campaign system that added new actions to the 4 basic actions in the core game. This would cover things like opening closed doors or chests, travelling distances across Etheria between scenarios, and rules for gaining/spending experience from scenarios.

Who doesn't want their mage to be on a journey to become an Archmage? How about adding schools of magic to your ability card? Increasing your spellbook points? Discovering new spells through scenario exploration? And having your team of mages battle against a horde of Antarians invading Etheria?

Please sir, may I have some more Arena?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:

Who doesn't want their mage to be on a journey to become an Archmage? How about adding schools of magic to your ability card? Increasing your spellbook points? Discovering new spells through scenario exploration? And having your team of mages battle against a horde of Antarians invading Etheria?

Me. I have no interest in any of that. I don't want a campaign system, or experience, I don't want multiple modes of play (this has already harmed the game irrevocably), I don't want Archmages, scenarios or anything else.

I just want the expansion of the base game that I bought into. More Arena? Yes that I will get behind, although I fear it's a lost cause at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
wtcannonjr wrote:

Me. I have no interest in any of that. I don't want a campaign system, or experience, I don't want multiple modes of play (this has already harmed the game irrevocably), I don't want Archmages, scenarios or anything else.

I just want the expansion of the base game that I bought into. More Arena? Yes that I will get behind, although I fear it's a lost cause at this point.

Fair points.

Although, the number of expansions stacks up well for a boardgame. Consider, even if we don't include the Battleground: Domination expansion we still have had 6 Arena expansions since 2012. That averages one expansion a year which is AMAZING for any boardgame in the market.

When comparing Arena to other miniature game systems or CCG/LCG game systems the rate of new content appears below average. However, since I come from a boardgamers perspective this rate is fine with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:

Although, the number of expansions stacks up well for a boardgame. Consider, even if we don't include the Battleground: Domination expansion we still have had 6 Arena expansions since 2012. That averages one expansion a year which is AMAZING for any boardgame in the market.

When comparing Arena to other miniature game systems or CCG/LCG game systems the rate of new content appears below average. However, since I come from a boardgamers perspective this rate is fine with me.

That would be the crux of it. I come from both backgrounds, but MW is at it's heart a skirmish minis game delivered in LCG format. Both of those rely on constant releases to stay relevant.

For pure boardgamers - well they generally complain it's already too big and complicated. They also don't buy enough product to be profitable I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus19D wrote:
Zub3ri wrote:
Arcane Wonders considers Academy sets to be expansions for Arena, since they are indeed designed and playtested to be used in both games.

As a matter of fact, when I was introduced to Mage Wars by Arcane Wonders personnel at their booth they emphatically stated in their explanation to me that while the Academy cards would function within Arena, they would necessarily be underpowered and there would be better versions wholly contained within Arena playsets. I will readily admit this was early in the Academy release schedule, but from their own mouths they are necessarily weaker in an Arena format.

I don't know who you spoke with, but you'll see my name listed on all the Academy expansions as a Design Consultant. Meaning I help create the cards that go into it. I assure you, they are designed and playtested with Arena in mind. We don't want them to be overpowered or underpowered in either game. Though we will err on the side of underpowered. Since some things do work better in one format over the other, this has resulted in a few cards that work fine in Academy but are weak in Arena, and also a small number that work better in Arena than Academy. But the sets are definitely designed with both games in mind and we want the cards to be fun and useful in both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Arnold
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri, yeah, that summarizes what the guy told me pretty well. I may have misinterpreted what he was saying, but he genuinely helped me buy the product that worked the best for what I was looking for (thankfully). Even though he demoed Academy for me, it was clear between the two of us, that I was really looking for the spatial aspect that Arena would provide. He recommended against Academy stuff (with my limited funds) as the stuff that was contained in the core set and two expansions that I bought would be better suited for the games I was interested in. I'm glad he did, he bought a long-term Arcane Wonders customer with his honesty. Perhaps, if you already have EVERYTHING Academy serves as a good way to add more, but without zonality, it seems like it is a limited offering. Do spells even have range? (I really haven't looked to academy since that demo.)

Also, I don't remember what his name was and I'm not familiar with names on boardgames. With a few (very few) exceptions, I don't buy games because of who is involved with them, more for the content that is the game. I don't mean that disparagingly, just honestly. Thanks for your input though! It is an amazing game!

Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Academy cards have range even though it is meaningless in Academy. This is because they are designed for both. They are completely indistinguishable from Arena cards except for the word "Academy" at the bottom, next to the name of the artist. The Academy game itself is simpler, and I'm glad he pointed you towards the game you'd prefer. But the Academy cards provide a lot to Arena games and are just as much an expansion for that format as any Arena expansion. The only thing they really lack is new Arena mages. Although new mages is an important decision, and tends to drive everyone's first few expansion purchases.

But I really do recommend you give the Academy sets another look. Just to give you an example, if you play a warlord, you can get cards that let you use your battle orders as a free action AND lets your mage benefit from the battle orders. Those are not trivial things by a long shot, and can completely change how those mages play. And the forcemaster set gives you a crap ton of Mind creatures to supplement the 3, only 3, that are in Arena without it. Which can let the Forcemaster actually play around with creatures without spending an arm and a leg in spellpoints. My favorite set is the Priestess, personally. So many of those cards have become staples for me and find their way into every book I build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Crall
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I eagerly await the day that more arena stuff comes out. Especially the previously mentioned suggestions. But I will cave and get academy stuff just so I have more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.