Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I run More Games Please a site where I interview board game artists about their work and a particular game they've worked on.

The interviews are quick easy reads to give you a little insight into their worlds and come with a whole bunch of art (often behind the scenes illustrations and process images).

I've just posted interview #29 with Jacqui Davis (Ex Libris, Euphoria, Manhattan, Purrlock Holmes and Skyway Robbery) which you can find HERE

Or you can check out the interview archives for all the rest:
https://www.moregamesplease.com/archive/

I'm going to update this post from now on when I update the site, so feel free to subscribe or follow my BGG blog: https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/6773/more-games-please-art-bo...

Thanks!
Ross
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Last month I spoke to Petter Schanke Olsen, of Tompet Games about his upcoming game Donning the Purple.

I was also lucky to get some input from both of the games artists, Daniel Hasenbos a cartographer and Joeri Lefevre the games illustrator.

You can read the full interview with more art on my site here: Donning the Purple: The Art in Kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I was joined by Steven Preston an artist and art director who recently worked on Skyward: The Airborne City. This game was voted into the Top 10 Best Board Game Art of 2017 on my site late last year and released by Rule and Make.

You can read the full interview here - Steven Preston: Art in Board Games #30

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Kyle Ferrin illustrator on Vast and the upcoming Root went into detail about having the creative freedom to work on these projects and why he draws the way he does.

It's also one of my longest interviews and I feel incredibly lucky he shared so much with me.

You can read it with all the extra illustrations and behind the scenes artwork here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I interviewed Katie O'Neill, the talented illustrator behind Oni Press graphic novel 'The Tea Dragon Society'.

Starting life as a web comic it is soon to be released as a card game by Renegade Game Studios.

"The Tea Dragon Society came from a very simple idea I had, cute pet dragons that grow tea leaves on their horns, which ended up growing and growing as people showed a ton of interest in the idea. Eventually, I had enough to craft a little story about the characters who look after them, in this case, a blacksmith named Greta, a shy mystical girl named Minette, and the bonded owners of a tea shop, Hesekiel, and Erik. The tea dragons are extremely fussy (as players will discover when playing the card game!) so there is a danger of losing the art of caring for them, and of brewing the tea. The book is about appreciating traditional crafts and finding new meaning and value in them."

To learn more about Katie, her art and the story itself then please follow the link below!

Katie O'Neill - Art in Board Games #32

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Nick Nazzaro: Art in Board Games #33

To read the full interview with tons more amazing art please head to More Games Please

===============

Hi Nick, thanks for joining me! For our readers who aren't aware of your work could you tell us a bit about yourself and what you do?
Thanks for having me, Ross! I'm an illustrator based in Los Angeles working in TV animation. Right now I'm at Starburns Industries working on a show for HBO called Animals. I've also done lots of work for magazines, motion graphic firms, and various types of merchandise. Basically I just draw all day long.

Could you tell us a bit more about your development as an artist? Where did you start out and how do you think this broad experience has helped shape how you work?

I came from a family of artists so I started drawing very early on. I think every birthday involved me getting crayons or sharpies up until I moved out as an adult. I went to an arts high school in Boston, and eventually an art college. It was just always the plan to do it professionally, full time.

One of my earliest gigs was illustrating a weekly column in a local Boston newspaper, called DigBoston. I drew some dicks, butts, and a lot of other vulgar stuff you'd find in an indie paper. It was great and I learned a ton by having to report in to an art director a few times a week. After that I started illustrating more for magazines, doing some gallery shows, and trying to make a name for myself by entering competitions. I finished school in the fall of 2013 and started working on Dragoon art in the spring of 2014. Been busy ever since!

Now I'm working at an animation studio in LA while still doing freelance whenever I get a chance. You do learn a lot from all these various industries and I'm fortunate that I've gotten to be involved in so many cool projects. Working in animation has forced me to be a lot more efficient in how I use photoshop, for sure. Working in motion graphics for Buck Design reinforced a lot of my editorial illustrator roots. Working in games was incredibly rewarding and I've learned a lot about mass production and printing of art assets. I could honestly probably write a book about all the skills I've picked up while working after being done with school.

You are a co-founder of Lay Waste Games, so how did that come about and what were your goals when you set up the publisher?
My personal origin story is a little different than the rest of the founders behind Lay Waste Games. The rest of the team is two brothers and their childhood best friend, and they were setting out to make a single game happen, pretty much. They found me to do the art for the game, eventually, and after it being way more work than anyone expected, I wound up as co-founder when we made the LLC. The original goal was to make Dragoon a reality but that was such an instant success for us, our goals have evolved. Now we want to make a lot of games for the foreseeable future.

What can you remember about Dragoon and how did you need to change your style to suit the format of board games?
That's a good question. You always have to change what you're doing a little to make it fit into the constraints of actually printing something. That's really a big part of the fun and challenge of making anything on this scale, though. The 3D pieces might have looked different if we weren't worried about sharp angles ripping the mold apart. The map could maybe be even more colorful if we weren't limited to using 6 colors for cost reasons. When things are printed small, you can only manage so much detail. All those constraints helped me figure our creative solutions that in the end looked really sharp, I think...

===============
To read the full interview with tons more amazing art please head to More Games Please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Anthony Coffey & Jesse Labbe: Art in Board Games #34

2018, INTERVIEW

Editors Note: This week I'm talking to not one, but two artists from indie publisher Certifiable Studios. Their names are Anthony Coffey and Jesse Labbe and after spotting their amazing work on the Kickstarter game 'Who Goes There?' I got in touch to find out more.

Hi Anthony/Jesse, thanks for joining me! For our readers who aren't aware of your work could you tell us a bit about yourself and what you do?

Anthony: Hey Ross, I'm an 2D/3D artist and game designer. I moved here (Ridgeland, Mississippi), from Dallas, when I was brought on to Certifiable Studios. I work on anything from game mechanics, illustrations, and 3D modeling; to animation, rules, or graphic design layout. The team is small, so we all tend to wear a lot of hats around here. It sounds redundant, but free time is usually spent doing more drawing or working on concepts for future projects.

Jesse: Well I would wear as many hats as Anthony does but I have a funny shaped head, so I am pretty particular about what I put on it. It's mainly because of that I don't do any 3D molding or animation (again only because of my misshaped head not because I don't know how). But I do, however, do a lot of illustrations as well as game mechanics.

You work together at an indie publisher Certifiable Studios, so before we get to the games can you tell us more about how the studio was set up, what your goals are and how the team got together?

Anthony: I'll defer to Jesse since this one is more for him. haha

Jesse: Well at first, I wanted to make a hat company, but then Rick (also at Certifiable) reminded me about my deformed head...so I thought what else can we do? GAMES! Let's make some games! Actually, I have been into tabletop games since I could remember. Fireball Island was a pin in my childhood timeline. Soon after that, Hero Quest began to open my eyes to all the possibilities that you could create with a game; the worlds that could be designed and all the adventures to be had exploring them. With such a love for illustrations, games just felt like the natural next step.
I worked on a couple of games under the roof of other companies and learned a lot of Do's and Don'ts. I had an idea for a game called "Ash to Bone", but wasn't ready to hand it over to someone else. I partnered up with Rick More (the brains of the studio) and Tah-Dah...Certifiable was born. We wanted to start small before going into "Ash to Bone" because it was a larger project, so we came up with "Endangered Orphans". That was received on Kickstarter better than I would have ever imagined. Next came "Who Goes There?" followed by "Stuffed". Now we are finally back to where we started....about to start production on "Ash to Bone".

The studios first release Endangered Orphans of Condyle Cove was successfully Kickstarted back in 2016. What can you remember about that project and what lessons did you take away from it moving forwards?

Jesse: Wow, where to begin? If there was a checklist of all the things not to do, we would have checked "yes" to each thing on the list. We seemed to do everything wrong for that (our first) Kickstarter. We had nothing about the game on BGG (Board Game Geek). We did a cold launch having never mentioned anything about the game to anyone. We didn't have even one video showing a play through. We didn't have the rules posted. We had no stretch goals prepared and we were constantly telling everyone that this is an awful (as in mean theme) game! But, we were really lucky and had some amazing backers come aboard during that campaign. It was because of them we were able to do what we did with the success of that game. We had so much fun during that campaign. We even received a ton of gifts from the backers, which I have since learned was unusual. Dozens of bags of coffee, t-shirts, toys, whiskey, letters, hats, cookies, flowers, stuffed animals and a lot of pants (it's a long story). Wow, gotta love our backers!

Anthony: During this Kickstarter project, I was helping from Dallas. Jesse asked if I could sculpt the pawns for a game they had on Kickstarter which is how my part in "Endangered Orphans" started. By the time I came to work at the studio full time, "Endangered Orphans" was already in the final stages and being sent to the factory for production and I helped set up print files for the production assets for the game. I had learned a lot about the process from the short amount of time I was working with Panda (our production facility we used on EO). I have also had a small amount of experience working with factories in China from a previous job, so that helped me hit the ground running when I started here.

Who Goes There? was a massive success on Kickstarter last year, were you surprised and why do you think it did so well?

Anthony: I think we were all surprised with how well the campaign did. We all had high hopes, but I don't think any of them were that high. I think part of the success of Who Goes There? is definitely owed to the success of Endangered Orphans as well as the dedicated backers it brought. We also try to be very responsive and transparent when dealing with our backers and I think the level of communication and honesty adds to that. With Who Goes There? we knew where we wanted the game to end up in terms of quality, so we set our stretch goals accordingly. There are always things that come up during a campaign, but for the most part we tried to have the campaign and unlocks planned.

Jesse: I would have been ecstatic if we would have just done as well as we did for Orphans, but when we started shooting past it, I was definitely on cloud nine!
I think we were prepared for the stretch goals this time. We didn't want to just start throwing too many random things at the end of the campaign because we were hitting goals. We had the game the way we believed it should be, so once we hit all of the Stretch goals...

======================================================

For the full interview plus more art please go to: More Games Please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.