Hide
20 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Variants

Subject: Running? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Vaudane
msg tools
Fairly new to Gloomhaven, love the game though. One irk I have with it however is the walking speed. Granted, when in a room full of mobs, it makes sense that the 2-hex generic walk speed stands (afterall, you're defending yourself!). In an empty room however, surely running should be a thing? Say the base-walk speed doubles to 4 in only an empty room, or you can lose a card to run 6, or something like this?

So many treasure chests that sit unopened because as soon as the mission ends, everything vanishes.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring more high movement cards?

Seriously - I didn't encounter too many situations which had needed more move when we had the chance to plan our turns properly. I don't know if this variant would be too OP - but as you limit it to rooms with no enemies, probably you might just give it a try...

The only thing which constantly niggles me is the fact that summons don't move while there are no enemies on the board. But even this is a thing which can be circumvented with proper planning in most crcumstances...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Perru
msg tools
Have to disagree, sorry.
Movement cards, in some character in particular, are as important as attack ones. It's just part of the balance of the game. You have to be smart about your movements, and when and how to loot those precious chests. Do not waste high movement cards using the attack option above without careful planning.
Eventually everything will become more natural. Try to know your character well. Some are like rockets (Scoundrel, i'm looking at you), others have less opportunities to loot chests, that's part of the game.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Deweerd
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no run mechanic. Part of the challenge of each mission is making sure you continue to advance even when under fire so that you don't have to waste all those moves running moving through empty rooms.
One method of dealing w/ it is to purchase the +2 movement boots from the shop. Also when you build your deck/lose cards make sure you keep some higher movement cards so you don't gets stuck behind.

There are many thematic mismatches for the sake of balance. difficulty of moving through empty rooms, being unable to loot after the mission ends, no trading/selling between party members, ETC. As many will tell you though, It's your game so house-rule as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
meyberg wrote:
The only thing which constantly niggles me is the fact that summons don't move while there are no enemies on the board. But even this is a thing which can be circumvented with proper planning in most crcumstances...

summons don't move while there are no enemies that it can focus on
monsters don't move while there are no characters that it can focus on
monsters don't move until the doors to their room are open, even when their buddies are being noisily slaughtered mere feet away from them, seperated by mere fog or a makeshift door

it all follows the same mechanic, really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I mean, thematically, if you run out of cards, you become exhausted. You can spend as many cards as you want walking around and picking up every piece of everything, but you'll become exhausted doing so.

To me, it's part of what makes the game exciting. Do you want to risk running off to the corner for a chest before moving on, possibly exhausting yourself before you can help your crew take out the boss? You need to find that balance. And once you complete your goal, either you're covered in gore and grime and just want to get home to a nice hot bath (bypassing any remaining loot), or you need to press on to the next part of your adventure and don't have time to grab every last coin.

All that said, I think every person that posts about this game has (at least) one aspect of it they don't enjoy. Don't like it? Change it to suite your needs. However, I strongly suggest giving it more time before doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards that have nothing but Move 4 or above on the bottom may look boring, but they're pretty essential. If you know you're going to have to cover a lot of ground, make sure you keep some of these around.

Some classes can move a lot further than others (Scoundrel vs. Tinkerer, for instance). This is an intentional difference between the classes.

If you want to institute a house rule that allows you to lose any card for Move 6, that seems fine. I would personally almost never take that option, because it seems wiser to just keep a non-loss movement handy and use that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of high move cards is a key factor in planning your turn.

Your high movement variant may lead to fights becoming back-paddling shooting gallery where you move back and shoot the enemies outside of their move range. Once everyone is dead you run forward to the next room.

RAW make high move cards a valuable asset that you cannot throw away and also force you to push forward if you want to succeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Vaudane
msg tools
Boots of +2 movement eh? I may have to purchase these when they're available in shop laugh

I see what you guys are saying, and I do like the planning of needing to assess how the turns are going to play out. And when I'm told to "wait and see how things pan out" in a game like this, I'll believe you!

I don't agree with the back-pedalling though. Doubling movement speed to 4 would only allow you to walk through a door then back to where you started anyway. It also wouldn't devalue the "move 4" cards as they would still work in populated rooms.

Also, house rules. Bleh yuk. RAW all the way laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
High move cards are great but so are small moves on the top of a card. A Move 2 as part of a top actions means you can do a minimum move 4, playing anything for the bottom.

If you can combo with a move 4 bottom which are not uncommon, that's 6 move and no need to lose a card. It's just making sure you take these cards. Remember you can see the size of the map before you pick what you are using for the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaudane wrote:
Boots of +2 movement eh? I may have to purchase these when they're available in shop laugh

They're available from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Vaudane
msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
Remember you can see the size of the map before you pick what you are using for the scenario.

Oh... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vaudane wrote:

I see what you guys are saying, and I do like the planning of needing to assess how the turns are going to play out. And when I'm told to "wait and see how things pan out" in a game like this, I'll believe you!

I don't agree with the back-pedalling though. Doubling movement speed to 4 would only allow you to walk through a door then back to where you started anyway. It also wouldn't devalue the "move 4" cards as they would still work in populated rooms.

Also, house rules. Bleh yuk. RAW all the way laugh

Boots that give +2 movement are available right from the start (Boots of Striding), although they don't give +2 to all movement, just to one action (and then the item is spent until you take a long rest)

And I'm guessing your last line was a joke, since you yourself are suggesting a house rule. (and I guess maybe your first line is a joke as well. Tough to tell on the internet sometimes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Vaudane
msg tools
I was more talking about a possible new "bona fide" rule. Not asking for it to be implemented, just talking about it out of curiosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vaudane wrote:
I was more talking about a possible new "bona fide" rule. Not asking for it to be implemented, just talking about it out of curiosity.

That is, by definition, a "house rule".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Vaudane
msg tools
Okay then, I'll rephrase. I would like to talk about this house rule, however I don't play using house rules laughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
meyberg wrote:

Did you see the variant proposed on this? If there are no bad guys to focus on, they use their summoner for movement focus. That doesn't seem to terrible (and could even potentially be worse, if they've moved up near a door to support the brute, and you spend a turn resting...it comes trotting back towards you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently encountered a scenario which affects this. One of our party members ended up being hampered by not having enough high move cards and no +2 move boots.

He spent all his high move cards early in the game and ended up only being able to move 2 at a time and doing nothing for top action since he's so far behind.

If this rule was implemented he wouldn't have to suffer that much for it. I think that's just making the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
Character movement and looting is all part of the puzzle when playing Gloomhaven. Making it easier to move removes part of the challenge and fun. Decisions on when to use cards and when not to is a big part of the experience.

Near the end of a scenario, if we have enough cards left, we delay completing the goals and instead grab coins and treasure chests, maybe even use cards just to get a bit more xp. This is a bonus for a well-played game. If we struggle in a scenario, we did not earn the luxury of getting extra treasure at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
r0t1prata wrote:
I've recently encountered a scenario which affects this. One of our party members ended up being hampered by not having enough high move cards and no +2 move boots.

He spent all his high move cards early in the game and ended up only being able to move 2 at a time and doing nothing for top action since he's so far behind.

We had this happen last time I played with my group of four. Tinkerer lost his high movement cards early on, limped forward, and finally made it to the final room as the rest of us were cleaning up all the dead bodies. Tinkerer has it pretty bad; ours doesn't bring Proximity Mine because he doesn't like the top action, so once he uses Ink Bomb, his only Move 4 left in the deck is Stun Shot. I think last time he lost it on a rest since it's such a low damage attack.

He won't make that same mistake again, I expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.