Subject: Rating unpublished games??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ART DOMINGUEZ
United States
FLEMING ISLAND
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm new to BGG, so forgive me if this question is naive: But how can people give a rating (or be allowed to give a rating) to a game that has not been released yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a very common question.

People are rating a game that hasn't been produced yet according to their expectations I guess.
Some (but not many), rate them because they playtested them or played a demo in a convention somewhere.

When the game is finally out, things are going back to normal with people rating the game according to what it really is, no worries.

The rating systems are showing a trend, nothing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, you kinda' have to ignore ratings here.

Reviews? Comments? Sure, go crazy. But ratings don't mean much.

"This game has boobs! Yay! - 10"
"This game has boobs! Boo! - 01"
"This game with boobs hasn't even been released yet, so I'll balance the unreasonably high/low votes! - 01/10"
"I'm balancing the balancing! - 05"
"I vote 01 on every game! - 01"
"I'm a publisher of many well known games, and rate others' games poorly because. - 2"

Seriously. That's all happened. None of it is a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Boobs, you say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thebobymon wrote:
Boobs, you say?

Yes, it's a essentially a boobs rating machine.

Now more seriously, I agree that the ratings are used by some to rate how a game fits their opinions (nudity, gender equality, religious/moral/political views, competition with a game they like etc..) rather than how a game actually plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
Now more seriously, I agree that the ratings are used by some to rate how a game fits their opinions (nudity, gender equality, religious/moral/political views, competition with a game they like etc..) rather than how a game actually plays.

Sometimes with hilarious results. There's a user out there who has rated a couple of hundred games as ones, seemingly for being offensive (though only a few of them actually get comments to confirm that). CAH and KDM, obviously, along with a swarm of CAH knockoffs and every single expansion.

But at some point it looks like they just started searching for certain words and one-rating everything that came up. Satan, dirty, naughty, gay, sex, Clinton, etc.

So alongside games with actual sexual content, they one-rated:
A Dirty Dancing trivia game
A Formula 1 racing game
A six-suited deck of cards
A collection of abstracts
A kids game based on a Nickelodeon show
Another abstract
Another other abstract
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ratimir wrote:
baylock wrote:

Sometimes with hilarious results. There's a user out there who has rated a couple of hundred games as ones, seemingly for being offensive (though only a few of them actually get comments to confirm that). CAH and KDM, obviously, along with a swarm of CAH knockoffs and every single expansion.

But at some point it looks like they just started searching for certain words and one-rating everything that came up. Satan, dirty, naughty, gay, sex, Clinton, etc.

So alongside games with actual sexual content, they one-rated:
A Dirty Dancing trivia game
A Formula 1 racing game
A six-suited deck of cards
A collection of abstracts
A kids game based on a Nickelodeon show
Another abstract
Another other abstract

We are living very strange times.
With internet and all, people feel like they can lobby on their own to make the world fit their narrow minded views.
Sometimes, it's with good intentions (gender equality for instance) but they just don't get that equality in general doesn't mean equality in each and every single detail.
No gender parity in a world war II platoon? The game is downrated.
This is an exaggeration of course, but not by much.
It's almost that absurd, most of the time.

That said, we are going a bit off topic :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
art8969 wrote:
I'm new to BGG, so forgive me if this question is naive: But how can people give a rating (or be allowed to give a rating) to a game that has not been released yet?

Technically, the rating system is worded to reflect how much you're looking forward to playing it. So it ... kinda makes sense?

But it does certainly make the ratings less valuable, especially since there's always a pile of leftover 10s and 1s put out by trolls and never adjusted -- that really don't reflect the quality of the game as experienced by those gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
Onen Hag Oll
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Technically, the rating system is worded to reflect how much you're looking forward to playing it. So it ... kinda makes sense?

Obviously it's open to interpretation (else this post wouldn't exist) but I always thought 10, 9, 8 and 5 all suggested the game has been played before. I mean, 'you enjoy playing and would suggest it' - how would you know if you hadn't?
4, 3 and 2 are very explicit in that you have played it - else you can't play it 'again'.

Really not sure why BGG can't just filter out the ratings of games that don't have at least one play against them. Wouldn't that solve this? I mean it's easy to add a rating, but having to add a play as well would mess up the users' play stats - if they cared of course.
#Edit - Of course, if you don't add plays at all, this is a terrible idea as it would exclude perfectly valid ratings

=================================================
10 - Outstanding - will always enjoy playing.
9 - Excellent - always enjoy playing it
8 - Very good - enjoy playing and would suggest it.
5 - Average - Slightly boring, take it or leave it.
4 - Not so good - but could play again.
3 - Bad - likely won't play this again.
2 - Very bad - won't play ever again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebobymon wrote:
Boobs, you say?

I -really- feel like someone should Kickstart a really detailed and well-researched game about these birds, just so I can have a game called "Boobies". But it's got to be a -good- game, or else the joke is wasted.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavoB wrote:

Really not sure why BGG can't just filter out the ratings of games that don't have at least one play against them. Wouldn't that solve this? I mean it's easy to add a rating, but having to add a play as well would mess up the users' play stats - if they cared of course.
#Edit - Of course, if you don't add plays at all, this is a terrible idea as it would exclude perfectly valid ratings

It's not terrible, as it -would- make the ratings system more useful.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who look at something like HATE or Kingdom Death Monster or Cards Against Humanity: Jew Pack and go "nope, that's a 1" without actually playing the thing, because they honestly know it won't be fun for them. And since this is the internet, where everybody has an outlet for their opinions (and are actively encouraged to share them, with things like easy to use ratings systems), it stands to be expected that people will do so.

A long time back I wrote a review for a game called Pimp: the Backhanding. It was a "joke" game that really wasn't very good. But rather than rail against the social injustices of the theme, I focused on how the mechanics were mediocre and the game wasn't impressive. As I learned the hard way, trying to focus impartially on the game as a game does not always go over very well because once people's passions get worked up, they don't care if the game is good or not.

And that can work -for- a game as easily as against it; I'm sure lots of people have supported a game because of some element that amused them (e.g. zombies, Cthulhu, fantasy, sci-fi, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to list above:

"I'm a publisher of many well known games, and rate others' games poorly because. - 2"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.