Subject: Rulebook? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering getting my hands on this one whenever it may become available again, but I always like reading rulebooks before purchase just to make sure I'd like it. I can't find one anywhere, though, do they have it uploaded somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
The publisher prefers that the rules not be electronically distributed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure if you dug hard enough, you could find it. It is not authorized by the designer, though.

You might be better off watching a play through or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pyre wrote:
I've been considering getting my hands on this one whenever it may become available again, but I always like reading rulebooks before purchase just to make sure I'd like it. I can't find one anywhere, though, do they have it uploaded somewhere?

Quick answer: no.

Another quick answer: there MIGHT be unofficial pdfs (of the previous version) online but they are 100% illegal.

Poots is very protective when it comes to the KD IP.
Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to like anything related to KDM that would be outside of the printed game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's disappointing. I prefer reading rules than playthroughs. It's too much of an investment to gamble on not knowing how to actually play. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pyre wrote:
Well that's disappointing. I prefer reading rules than playthroughs. It's too much of an investment to gamble on not knowing how to actually play. shake

That said, this is by design.
You'd better play the game without reading the rules and without watching playthroughs.

I can get that it doesn't fit your habits but thats how the game is suggested to be played: discovering the game as you play.

It's a problem to me too as I die to make a killing app for this game that would be narrative while eradicating any need for bookkeeping.
But doing so without using text or images from the game is almost pointless.

It's the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You discover lots of Gloomhaven while you play, but still know the basic mechanics because the rulebook is available...

Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't really the kind of game that you read the rulebook beforehand for. Everything naturally unfolds itself for you, and you learn as you go. There's very little upfront knowledge required. I'm not even sure I'd call it a rulebook in the traditional sense. It's more like a campaign book that gives you rules as you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pyre wrote:
You discover lots of Gloomhaven while you play, but still know the basic mechanics because the rulebook is available...

Thanks for the info.

Not the same thing.
The rules and the narrative are intertwined in KDM.

I know it might be beyond you at this point.
But I won't be anymore once you play the game.

If you read the rulebook before you play, you'll lose half of what KDM is about.
It's a friendly advice but then, you do whatever you want with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:

I know it might be beyond you at this point.
But I won't be anymore once you play the game.

Heh, it's like some sort of spiritual awakening playing Kingdom Death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a great point about most of the book being locked away behind events and discoveries.

The core rules are easily learned watching someone play the Prologue fight. That covers the first dozen pages of the rules or so (with lots of pictures). It's the bare-bones mechanics. The next 70 or so pages of the rules flesh out the Settlement phase (where you build your community, craft gear, make decisions about your tech/principles, etc) and give more details about the basic mechanics. Everything else has to be discovered as you go. When starting out, you really don't know the scope of the game or the possibilities before you. That's by design. But the basic mechanics are all rather simple. It ramps up the fun/crazy as you start going down various paths and making decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyre wrote:
There are means of finding a copy: 1.3 (the first KS) is certainly close enough to the current edition to get a feel for the game.

A large part of the mechanics are in a bajillion unique special rules, though, so you're probably not going to get a great sense of the game other than "there are a ton of risks, random deaths, and rolling d10s," which is true, but also a matter of large gaps, and parts being less than the whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyre wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Aside from coming in a large box, the two games have very little in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
If you read the rulebook before you play, you'll lose half of what KDM is about.
It's a friendly advice but then, you do whatever you want with it.

As long as you read only the actual rules part (meaning not the hunt table and any of the story events that come after it) in advance, I'd say you lose 1% of what KDM is about.

I read the whole rules portion of the rulebook before our first play. If I hadn't done it, we (I) would have had to spend a lot of time browsing through the rules while playing the first few lantern years. Since I had read the rules already, we got almost everything right on the first try, with only short pauses to quickly look up specific rules.

The pure rules part of the rulebook spoils almost nothing and could very well be published somewhere. I respect Poot's decision to not to that, but claiming that doing so would lead to big spoilers is an exaggeration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was anyone actually suggesting they could play the game without reading any of the rulebook? How would that even work?

I assumed they mean reading it cover-to-cover. We all read to page 80 or so (when the tables begin), didn't we? And most of that can be learned by watching any of the playthrough videos as suggested earlier in the thread. Someone who wants to read the entire rulebook would be spoiling a lot of the game since over half of it is story type events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Was anyone actually suggesting they could play the game without reading any of the rulebook? How would that even work?

I assumed they mean reading it cover-to-cover. We all read to page 80 or so (when the tables begin), didn't we? And most of that can be learned by watching any of the playthrough videos as suggested earlier in the thread. Someone who wants to read the entire rulebook would be spoiling a lot of the game since over half of it is story type events.

Obviously :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I would recommend learning to use the advanced search function of google. It's useful in finding all sorts of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
japester1 wrote:

When I first started playing, I pretty much flicked through the rules section very briefly, then went back to page one and started reading. Set things up and played as it prompted me to, and figured it out as we went. Was great! I have never found another game capable of doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Armitt
msg tools
The best thing to do is just watch some play throughs on You Tube. Beasts of War do a good intro playthrough. You should be able to get a good idea of the rules mechanics from this and if you only watch the prologue you wont spoil anything for yourself.

That's what I did when wanting to know more about the game. In general the basic rules don't change much. The monster Ai cards just get more difficult and you aquire more gear which has the special rules written on each card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PM me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyre wrote:

Thanks for the info.
To put it in Gloomhaven terms, the KDM "rulebook" is the rulebook, the scenario book, the road/city cards and even some of the secret reveals all in one. It is also done in a way that would be difficult to split apart. That is why it is not available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.