Subject: Off the Rails: FAQ Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. What with OTR now arriving and making it to tables around the world, it has been suggested we begin an FAQ to deal with all the questions sure to follow So if you post your questions below, I will answer within this top section.

Q. Friendly collisions (as in two carts of the same player colliding), do they work in the same way as any other collision would?
A. Yes, exactly as if colliding with an opponent.

Q. Is the ACTIVE player allowed to choose the order of movement, or do the carts move simultaneously or is it white then black or the other way around?
A. The ACTIVE player can decide which cart moves first on their turn.

Q. What do the Kickstarter Exclusive Track Tiles do?
A. The rules for these were released during the campaign and can be found at the bottom of the HOW TO PLAY page at http://offtherailsgame.weebly.com/how-to-play.html.

Q: In a collision, if an opposing player has just one jewel what happens?
A: Players drop half rounded up, so in this instance they would drop the only Jewel they have.

Q: Track placement - can you upgrade a track underneath a cart?
A: No, the only time you cannot upgrade is when a Minecart is on the tile. You may upgrade a track tile containing Jewels however.

Q: The chasm token placement is a bit confusing. Does each of the four chasms effectively become a giant +, and do you get to choose where they go after the initial placement? I might have to watch the play through for this one.
A: When the Chasm begins and 4 tokens are placed, the next token drawn should be placed orthoganally adjacent to the matching colour token already on the board. Then when the 3rd token of that colour comes out, you can choose which of the two existing tokens to place it next to.

Q: The box and instructions say there should be 90 track tiles included, but I have 92 track tiles and 4 KS exclusive tiles? Is this correct?
A: Due to the punchboards being changed to contain the additional tiles, adding some extra tiles was the consequence - 92 standard tiles and 4 exclusive tiles is correct. The text on the box and rules unfortunately was not updated.

Q: In a two player game, can I leave the mine by any of the four surface layers?
A: Yes, you may reach any surface layer to stockpile your jewels and leave the mine

Q: Assume the answer to my previous question is yes, in order to claim "Behind Enemy Lines" do I have to leave by my opponents surface Layer?
A: Yes, you must leave the board at the surface of another player to claim that mission card, so only your opponents side in a 2 player.

Q: When the Chasm card is drawn does that player not place any jewels that turn?
A: The player who drew the Chasm card should then draw another card to generate Jewels, essentially finishing their 'normal turn'.

Q: The scoring app doesn't have a slot for the bonus minecarts +3 points. Will this be updated?
A: The app is due an update soon. In the meantime, please add an extra gold jewel per minecart.

Q: What happens when one mine cart is hit by another from behind?
A: Upon collision, the Active Minecart will end its move action. Minecarts in the collision carrying no Jewels are then derailed. The Opposing Minecart (If still on the board) must drop half of their jewels in the square they are in (See rulebook for how to go about deciding which jewels). The Active minecart (If still on the board) will rotate to face in the opposite direction of the collision.

Q: Does a Surface Layer space count when you are moving your mine cart off the board?
A: Yes, a minecart must land on or pass over a surface square during the move phase to leave the mine and stockpile their jewels.

Q: What happens when you are generating the jewels and they end up on a square with a mine cart on it.
A: Jewels that are generated are not automatically collected. Place them in the square around the Minecart.

Q: When you have a collision between two carts the active cart comes to stop. If that space the cart stops in has jewels in it would it pick up two because it ended it's movement in that space or just one because if it wasn't for the collision it would have passed through that space?
A: It is just one jewel as the cart has passed through the square before the collision.

Q: When you upgrade a curve to a T-junction, do you have to keep the existing curve? Or are you free to mess up your opponent by placing the curve in another direction?
A: The rules state you can upgrade a track without removing any of the existing routes, meaning unfortunately you can't mess up your opponent's and take away an exit from the tile. You may only ever add an exit to a tile in this manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely correct - the 90 tiles on the box and rules was added before the bonus track tiles forced the 16 tiles per punch board. I made sure we had 32 cross / corners and 60 straight / T-junctions plus the 4 bonus tiles for the KS exclusive but forgot to change the number on the box and document - good spot! There are 92 standard tiles and 4 KS exclusives included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F F
msg tools
Thanks for this great game - will have my guys over tomorrow for game night

Question:
I very much enjoy the international rules on http://offtherailsgame.weebly.com/how-to-play.html.
But will you update those (i.e. adding the last two pages from the printed rulebook)?
If you need help with the German translation I would be happy to assist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the Chasm card is drawn does that player not place any jewels that turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question! Sorry this wasn't made more apparent in the rules, but:

A: The player who drew the Chasm card should then draw another card to generate Jewels, essentially finishing their 'normal turn'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Branco
United States
Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
During the Chasm phase, are you allowed to have your mine carts continuously going in and out of the mine to keep getting jewels? The rules says once all the carts leave the mine or the last chasm token is out then the game ends. If the chasm phase begins and your carts are not in the mine, are you forced to not go back in or are you allowed? A few of us think you can just keep going in the mine until it becomes to risky to have your cart derailed. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason. Only when all minecarts have left the board during the chasm does the game end. Any carts not yet on tracks may still enter the game when the chasm begins. Only derailed carts during the chasm are forced out of the game and may not return. Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofspin101 wrote:
Any carts not yet on tracks may still enter the game when the chasm begins.
I think this part of the rule is where the confusion comes in. "Begins" makes it sound like a limited time offer, as if you can put a cart in on your first turn after Chasm starts, but not later. From the rest of your post though I gather it's basically up to you how long you keep going?

In this case the key rule to remember becomes

Quote:
Players who have both carts outside the mine may still place Chasm tokens
And that "may" is going to cause a fight somewhere when someone plays Kingmaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good points. Yes, it is the players choice whether to place a minecart during the chasm - unless it has been derailed in which case it is out of the game.

"Players who have both carts outside the mine may still place Chasm tokens" should read without the 'may'.

Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First up, really enjoying the game, looking forward to introducing this to our friends and playing with four players.
I have read the Q&A and the other questions but still have a few more:

What happens when one mine cart is hit by another from behind?

Does a Surface Layer space count when you are moving your mine cart off the board? So if there is four spaces to the Surface Layer do you have to move four of five?

Thanks.

I just remembered something else, what would be cool as an addition to the game would be a turntable tile so you could use it to rotate your cart 90o using one action.

Oh bugger, sorry, there was another question or two on jewels. What happens when you are depositing the jewels and they end up on a square with a mine cart on it. Do they automatically end up in the cart or outside it?

When you have a collision between two carts the active cart comes to stop. If that space the cart stops in has jewels in it would it pick up two because it ended it's movement in that space or just one because if it wasn't for the collision it would have passed through that space?

With regards to the rocks we like to refer to them as coal, they look like coal! For a two player game there is only three mission cards, but we may house rule this as the game seems to need more than three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John. Thanks for the message - Ill try and answer your questions below and add them to the faq:

Q: What happens when one mine cart is hit by another from behind?
A: Upon collision, the Active Minecart will end its move action. Minecarts in the collision carrying no Jewels are then derailed. The Opposing Minecart (If still on the board) must drop half of their jewels in the square they are in (See rulebook for how to go about deciding which jewels). The Active minecart (If still on the board) will rotate to face in the opposite direction of the collision.

Q: Does a Surface Layer space count when you are moving your mine cart off the board? So if there is four spaces to the Surface Layer do you have to move four of five?
A: Yes, a minecart must land on or pass over a surface square during the move phase to leave the mine and stockpile their jewels.

Q: What happens when you are depositing the jewels and they end up on a square with a mine cart on it. Do they automatically end up in the cart or outside it?
A: Jewels that are generated are not automatically collected. Place them in the square around the Minecart.

Q: When you have a collision between two carts the active cart comes to stop. If that space the cart stops in has jewels in it would it pick up two because it ended it's movement in that space or just one because if it wasn't for the collision it would have passed through that space?
A: It is just one jewel as the cart has passed through the square before the collision.

And house rules are always appreciated! I originally had the rocks as coal, but decided there was more worth in coal than 0 points at the end of the game, so went with something less uncommon. I think more mission cards is also a fine HR - tailor it to your group Nice idea about the rotating tiles too.....expansion perhaps?

Thanks for your questions! Hope I answered them well enough,
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Andrew, thanks for that, it has helped a lot. Good point about the coal being worth something where as a rock is worth nothing.
With the idea of the turntable tiles, I was thinking there could be four, one in each of the four clan colours, and can be played any time during the game instead of laying a common tile. They can only be entered if the track is aligned correctly and a 90o turn is one action so to reverse direction takes two actions.
Also, a player could be sneaky and deliberately rotate the turn table through 90o to prevent another player using it and cause a potential derailment.
I was also thinking about a shunting rule whereby you could come up behind a cart knock it one tile forward, again with the aim to potentially cause a derailment.
We are going to have soo much fun with this game :o)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So we played a few games with the HR of rolling a die six to determine the number of mission cards were in play for a two player game. We ended up with five and what happened was that one of us was more successful in completing the missions and so was the run away winner.
I see now that maybe the original idea of having just three cards for a 2P game is probably best. I will be scrapping this HR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.