Subject: 2007 WBC Game 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wbc [+] [View All]
Rob Olsson
United States
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
I really do have a wonderful life.
In past years, the World Boardgaming Championship in Lancaster, PA has been a great place for me to learn games that I have never encountered before, and this year's WBC was no exception. Following my second loss in Napoleonic Wars, Henry introduced me to his gaming buddy Denny. The two of them have a Wednesday night gaming crew, much as I game with Bobby Tweaks on (some) Wednesday nights. Perhaps Wednesday is simply the perfect gaming evening. Denny brought out a game called Viktory II, and set up to explain to me how to play. While he was explaining, a fellow named Steve came up, and Henry, Steve, and I got down to the gaming.

Viktory II seems to have a lot in common with Risk, Survive, and Settlers of Catan. Essentially, you randomly select hexes that have either mountains, plains, water, or forests printed on them. They are flipped so that you see the back of them and turn them over as your piece lands on them. Since there were three players, our hex had five smaller hexes to make up each side of it. Henry flipped up a few water tiles before placing his home base. I turned over a plain.

We continued placing and uncovering. You can build infantry, calvary, artillery, or ships, depending on where you build your cities. Each turn, you place a village marker or upgrade it to a city, and then the village will produce an infantry to protect it or another troop type depending on the type of tile. No matter how many troops of a particular type you have on a hex, you only roll one dice for each troop type. All destroyed troops are placed back on your hexes on your turn, unless the city that created them is destroyed. The big lesson in this game? Attack early, attack often.

I tried to do this with some success early on. We were playing to ten points, which essentially meant I needed to have five cities on the board either through building or conquest. Steve built a fleet to bring the hurt by sea while Henry crossed the land to attack both Steve and I. It was close, but in the end, Steve was able to pull out the victory, taking a city from me to create his fifth and end the game.

After five-hour games like Wellington and Napoleonic Wars, Viktory II was a good reliever.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.