Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I thought the BGG rating was a combination of average rating and number of voters, with some dummy votes thrown in to prevent a game with a small number of votes rising to the top.

But... currently Gaia Project has a higher BGG ranking than Kingdom Death: Monster, while both the average rating AND the number of voters of Gaia are lower than KDM. How is this possible?
Is BGG now promoting Cult of the New?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it is a better game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Because it is a better game?

That is not the point (I have played neither).
So far 4217 people say KDM is the better game. There is nothing in the stats that explains why the BGG ranking for Gaia is higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
But... currently Gaia Project has a higher BGG ranking than Kingdom Death: Monster, while both the average rating AND the number of voters of Gaia are lower than KDM. How is this possible?

Anti-shill filter.

When calculating the BGG rating, the algoritm discards some votes that are deemed "shills". It's not documented how it works exactly. But you can assume that votes from people who rate a single game a 10, have no other ratings, no other contibutions (forum posts), and logged in once to rate this game (and never logged in again) are ignored. I assume KDM has more such ratings than Gaia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking that KDM has a slew of "10" votes from new users with no other ratings which is probably being filtered out by BGG's anti-shill busting algorithm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, thanks! Never heard of that before. Learned something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaia Project has a standard deviation of 1.38; KD:M of 1.88. The algorithm probably takes into account that the average rating of KD:M is more "uncertain".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Olafslomp wrote:
OK, so I thought the BGG rating was a combination of average rating and number of voters, with some dummy votes thrown in to prevent a game with a small number of votes rising to the top.

See here for a more detailed explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
odie73 wrote:
Gaia Project has a standard deviation of 1.38; KD:M of 1.88. The algorithm probably takes into account that the average rating of KD:M is more "uncertain".

No. Or rather, if it does, it is a completely new feature which was introduced only in the last several years or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, a couple years ago I remember reading that the number of 5.5 votes that BGG preloads the rating with goes up at some threshold of user votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witchcraft? End-times klaxon? Another ratings thread?

All possibilities. Not mutually exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
odie73 wrote:

No. Or rather, if it does, it is a completely new feature which was introduced only in the last several years or so.
Rating distribution is a confounder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:

My theory is that this is the explanation. The problem is that standard deviation and similar normal distribution curves assume an unlimited scope in measurement. So, when adequate (6+) games' curves get put against a normal distribution, the distribution extends more above 10 than below 1. So, (I think) the algorithm biases the narrower distribution game upwards.

GP and KDM are not the first examples of this happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if someone has rated one game (i.e. KDM a 10), and the score gets removed, but then that same person rates say 10 more games, does the KDM score get factored back in, or is it permanently removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
blackshirt wrote:
So if someone has rated one game (i.e. KDM a 10), and the score gets removed, but then that same person rates say 10 more games, does the KDM score get factored back in, or is it permanently removed?

Let me emphasize that this is a theory, really a hypothesis or estimate, maybe even a wild guess.

No ratings are ever removed. No user has his ratings discounted because he's that user. The only action that would be taken would be against a sock puppet account (2nd account) that was rating games for a second time.

The usual standard deviation computations are made, and the games' geek ratings are adjusted. I think. I very much do not know. The people who do know aren't going to say.

Why? The one thing absolutely guaranteed on BoardGameGeek is that users will game the system, if they can figure it out. Shocking, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
blackshirt wrote:

Nothing is permanently removed. The decision is made on a user level, not on a rate level. Either all of a user's rates are used, or none are, depending on whether the anti-shill algorithm decides a user legit or not. If 10 more games rated is what it takes for the algorithm to give a user the stamp of approval, then that is what it takes. (Perhaps more information is available at the time, like more pronounced user activity?)

Bottom line: take the aggregated numbers with a block of salt; and only genuinely trust individuals you believe to be trustworthy for some reason or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.