Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer

"It is not as a woman descended from noble ancestry, but as one of the people that I am avenging lost freedom, my scourged body, the outraged chastity of my daughters..."

This game is participating in 9-Card NanoGame PnP Design Contest (2018).

The Coin Tribes' Revolt: Boudica's Rebellion against Rome
No. of Players: 1-4 (lower counts by playing multiple factions)
Game Time: 30-60 mins

Contents:
9 cards
- 4 map cards
- 2 sympathy/opposition cards
- 2 event cards
- 1 action control card

18 components
- 18 12mm dice (4 of each of 4 player colours + 2 others)

Rules + player aids

Synopsis
It is 60 AD. Romans have occupied the wild lands of Britannia, and exist in an uneasy peace with the tribes of the land… When the Iceni king dies, Roman greed triggers a rebellion led by the Iceni queen Boudica that tears across the south-east of Britain. With the Roman forces spread elsewhere in Britain, the revolt could forever change the course of history.

This is an asymmetrical game of warring factions set in the turbulent times during the early Roman occupation of Britain. It is inspired by the COIN series of games by Volko Runke, published by GMT, and attempts to recreate the GMT COIN Series game experience within the restrictions of the 9 card nano game format..

I'd like the game to be entered in the following

Categories:
Best Overall Game
Best Solitaire Game
Best 3 or more player Game
Best Wargame
Best Written Rules
Most Innovative Mechanic Category
Best Grayscale Printed Game Category

Files

The contest version of the pnp files, along with the rulebook and player aids (as 1 sheet A4 and additional cards for convenience) can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1meFI6UuQ5MS5SinJK2ucBWLMNa...

I've also started putting together a tabletop simulator mod here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133118...

A video introduction to the game can be found here:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
Re: [WIP] The Coin Tribes' Revolt - 2018 9 Card Nanogame pnp Contest (Idea phase)
reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] The Coin Tribes' Revolt - 2018 9 Card Nanogame pnp Contest (Idea phase)
Looks interesting. I really like the arrangement of the 8 main cards, with the x1 and x2 multipliers (I assume). Clever.

Looking forward to seeing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Olczak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the components ready version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I’m going to use this thread to record my thoughts as I progress with this design. It’s probably going to be a fairly rambling brain dump, so strap in and don’t say you weren’t warned..

As a sensible place to start, I’m going to lay out my aims for this game.

My motivation comes from having recently played one of Volko Ruhnke's highly regarded COunter INsurgency or COIN games. I say played, but I need to begin with a confession: I have never finished a COIN game. A year or so ago, my gaming group attempted Fire in the Lake. An over-ambitious introduction to the series… We tried twice and each time gave up, lost in the sub-clauses and exceptions. More recently, we tried Cuba Libre. However, a massive rules error meant an early (incorrect) win at the first propaganda phase for the government (twice) before we realised our mistake. The third game was actually on track but we ran out of time.

I really like the idea of what the COIN games achieve, and I definitely want to return to them (I await the next printing of Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar impatiently..) However, as a designer just starting out, I love ludicrous restrictions. Therefore, I am trying to come up with something that gives the same feel of these games while simplifying and shortening the experience.

Perhaps that’s a game without a target audience, but we’ll see..

The core essence of a COIN game, from my limited experience, is one which has:

1) Generally 4-player factions, with pairs of factions loosely semi-cooperative, but ultimately out for themselves
2) Asymmetrical faction abilities and win conditions
3) Area control and support/opposition
4) The action, action + bonus, limited action system using first/second eligible initiative
5) Initiative determined randomly, with the next turn’s order open information
6) Game-play separated into periods, of random length. Winning can only be triggered at certain points

(Have I missed anything?)

My ambition is to create a game that has all these elements using only 9 cards and 18 components. Play time should be <1 hour, but still full of satisfyingly complex decisions and tell a story of a tug-of-war between the factions..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it would be helpful or distracting, but the recently Kickstarted Roothas a very similar design goal of offering a more accessible COIN type game.

I'm keeping an eye on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
Indeed! It looks great and I am keeping an eye on it too (keep meaning to pnp it at some point) Not considered it a source for pillaging ideas from yet, but perhaps I should!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
Indeed! It looks great and I am keeping an eye on it too (keep meaning to pnp it at some point) Not considered it a source for pillaging ideas from yet, but perhaps I should!

Make sure to look at the new PNP rule set. Several streamlining changes from the version featured in the reviews and play through videos, if you choose to seek inspiration.

I'm excited to see how you implement the asymmetry of this type of game with such a small component count. I was working on a "slimmed down" version myself, but never dreamed of getting down to nine cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Olczak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
The core essence of a COIN game, from my limited experience, is one which has:

1) Generally 4-player factions, with pairs of factions loosely semi-cooperative, but ultimately out for themselves
2) Asymmetrical faction abilities and win conditions
3) Area control and support/opposition
4) The action, action + bonus, limited action system using first/second eligible initiative
5) Initiative determined randomly, with the next turn’s order open information
6) Game-play separated into periods, of random length. Winning can only be triggered at certain points

(Have I missed anything?)

I understand it's nearly impossible to implement with only 9 cards, but event cards are also important part of the game. In general, their "net value" is less than Operation + Special Activity or Operation, but they fill out 2 specific roles:

1. Creating opportunities - breaking stalemates or getting into areas that are heavily fortified.
2. Long term benefits - in form of Capabilities and Momentum cards.

Your idea really got my gears going and I've been heavily thinking how to implement COIN system with only 9 cards and 18 components, while also keeping events in the game. It's a really tough nut to crack, but maybe I'm not thinking outside the box enough.

Anyway, I'm still eagerly waiting for your game and will gladly lend a helping hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
Events are definitely the toughest nut to crack so far...

I will go into more detail in future posts, but I'll just add my current thinking now while your gears are turning!

I think that having the events fulfil all their usual functions is going to be an impossibility without overcomplicating the game with crazy lookup tables and conditional flow-charts.. Using just 9 cards, especially when many of them make up the map and action selection area is tough! My current plan is to replace them with (one?) powerful special action unique to each faction that are only available when you have a high initiative dice roll (5-6? 4-6?). The hope is this will make taking them rare enough to make them special and still cause the “do I take this and give the second eligible player a full action and bonus” dilemma.

Getting the variability that a deck of cards provides though, will be surely impossible, or am I still thinking too much in the box?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Olczak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
My current plan is to replace them with (one?) powerful special action unique to each faction that are only available when you have a high initiative dice roll (5-6? 4-6?). The hope is this will make taking them rare enough to make them special and still cause the “do I take this and give the second eligible player a full action and bonus” dilemma.

That sounds quite clever! Can't wait for the public playtest version.

My ideas gravitated more towards a 2-player COIN game, just like Colonial Twilight. The idea was that it would require less map space than a 4-player COIN game, so event cards could be still incorporated (although Cuba Libre has like 10 or so sectors and it's just lovely).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
Olekman wrote:
My ideas gravitated more towards a 2-player COIN game, just like Colonial Twilight. The idea was that it would require less map space than a 4-player COIN game, so event cards could be still incorporated (although Cuba Libre has like 10 or so sectors and it's just lovely).

2p vs. 4p is something I've gone back and forth with, mainly to have more freedom with components, But, with only 4 map cards still (and other ways of indicating support) 4 cards maybe could be enough if you use both sides and have two halves..? Something to think about..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Olczak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had some ideas and in the end I think I would need only 1 or 2 cards for map. The rest could be used for events and I considered using both sides for them indeed.

I've encountered some other problems along the way, including component limit, so I'm still not sure if it even should go into idea phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
It seems quite difficult to capture a COIN game in 9 cards, but the idea is very cool!

I really like your design and card layout so far. I am however wondering what the function of the half hidden cards is and if it could be done with fewer cards?

When you try to capture the feeling of a game you could also look at the required skills. In COIN games it is important to be able to evaluate the power of events versus action + special ability versus denying your opponent certain actions. Furthermore, you should be able to synchronize actions, i.e. make sure you can do an action in many regions at the same time. And, skilled player make sure they have their highest score near "winter" phases. (Based on my limited experience and some reading)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
I've seen the tribes of the south-east of Britain, present during the times of Roman colonisation described as the “Coin tribes” due to the large amount of coinage in use. While I was already considering this era to use for the game, this absolutely cemented it.. Who doesn’t love an obscure pun??

As I've been looking into the time period around the early Roman conquest of Britain, I thought I'd add a bit of background history for anyone that is interested...

The Romans tried to conquer Britain several times in ~55 BC. Initially a failure, they returned in AD 43 and established themselves. While there was some resentment, many tribes accepted Roman rule for an easier life (especially as Rome was a fairly hands-off ruler).

One tribe, the Iceni, was one such group and their king, Prastagus, left half his kingdom to the Roman Emperor in his will (split with his daughters). However, the Romans didn’t recognise female rights, and disregarded the will on his death. They looted the Iceni tribe, flogged Prastagus’ widow (Boudica) and raped their daughters. What was once a relatively pro-Roman tribe became outraged by these events and Boudica gathered support for a rebellion in 61 AD.

She found allies with a neighbouring tribe known as the Trinovantes, who were being oppressed by the Romans living at the largest Roman settlement, Camuldunum (mostly populated by retired legionaries). With the bulk of the Roman army in north wales at the time wiping out the druids, the rebellion gathered momentum quickly. They sacked Camuldunum, the new settlement of Londinium, and another roman city in present day St Albans (Verulamium), overwhelming any Roman resistance with greater numbers.

Eventually, they met a unified Roman force in the battle of Watling St somewhere to the north of Londinium. Here, the vastly superior fighting abilities and tactics of Romans finally told, in spite of being hugely outnumbered. They destroyed the less well organised British, and crushed the rebellion.

In adapting this story to the COIN system I intend to use the following factions:

- Romans as the governmental, counter insurgency, faction trying to put down the rebellion.

- Iceni as the insurgency faction inciting rebellion

- Trinovantes as allies of the Iceni, but also trying to re-expand their influence.

- Catuvellauni, a large nearby tribe that bordered the others. They initially led the fight against the Romans, but by 61 AD had become romanised so will be the pro-roman tribe, using all sides to expand their territory and control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
BlueChicken wrote:
It seems quite difficult to capture a COIN game in 9 cards, but the idea is very cool!

I really like your design and card layout so far. I am however wondering what the function of the half hidden cards is and if it could be done with fewer cards?

When you try to capture the feeling of a game you could also look at the required skills. In COIN games it is important to be able to evaluate the power of events versus action + special ability versus denying your opponent certain actions. Furthermore, you should be able to synchronize actions, i.e. make sure you can do an action in many regions at the same time. And, skilled player make sure they have their highest score near "winter" phases. (Based on my limited experience and some reading)

Thanks! The tucked cards are used to signify support and opposition for each of the four regions. Without is neutral, then each side has two halves for weak and strong support and opposition. Definitely open to any ideas about how this could be more efficient though. If fact, this is one of the things tagged for a rethink because during the first playtest I found it quite annoying to have to keep changing the status by tucking cards. The position of the dice on top is important and this method seems a dangerous recipe for knocking them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Not sure if you still need an idea for this, but anyway:

I misunderstood their meaning. So my initial idea didn't work. However, now I have a new idea. It is not as elegant or pretty as your idea, but it only requires two cards. Let me try to explain it for the left side of the map. Let s1 and s2 be 1 support and 2 support, and o1 and o2 1 opposition and 2 opposition.

Create one card with on the right long edge from top to bottom o2, o1, s1, s2, some empty space, o2, o2, o2 and o2. And on the other long edge on this side of the card upside down: o2, o1, s1, s2, some empty space, o1, o1, o1 and o1. Do the same on the other side of the card with s1 and s2 repeated.

Add a small arrow on both left map cards. Place the created card left of the map cards such that the two arrows point at the current state (o2, o1, s1, s2). Shift the card up or down if the state of the upper map region changes and flip the card if the lower region changes state. Use the short side when one of the regions is neutral.

Let me try to make a picture: (m is part of a map card, < is an arrow, Ee empty space and - is the beginning/end of a card)

- - - m
O2 m
O1 <
S1 m
S2 m
Ee - -
O1 m
O1 <
O1 m
O1 m
- - - m

In this example both left regions have state: 1 opposition. If you shift the card a bit up the upper region has state: 1 support and the lower region has state: 1 opposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
BlueChicken wrote:

- - - m
O2 m
O1 <
S1 m
S2 m
Ee - -
O1 m
O1 <
O1 m
O1 m
- - - m

In this example both left regions have state: 1 opposition. If you shift the card a bit up the upper region has state: 1 support and the lower region has state: 1 opposition.

I had a very similar idea using arrows with different separations, but this is a simpler implementation of basically the same thing.. great idea, thanks!!

This also means I now have to come up with some events!

Will try to get it to component ready over the weekend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
I had a second playtest over the weekend and decided to drastically alter the game. While it did work, I felt that the complexity was too high for what the game deserved. There were too many rules and so I've simplified things.

I tried to create a tabletop simulator mod, but for some reason it's running painfully slowly (CPU ~100%) and I've had to stop... but the cards and components are all in there.

Version 1 of the pnp files, along with the rulebook and player aids can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19hAJKcVMTOO8_bq3CSbP9ulizl...

What I've got for the tabletop simulator mod can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133118...

The 2 card sympathy/opposition tracker works beautifully, BlueChicken...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] The Coin Tribes' Revolt - 2018 9 Card Nanogame pnp Contest (Component phase)
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
Version 1 of the pnp files, along with the rulebook and player aids can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19hAJKcVMTOO8_bq3CSbP9ulizl...

The 2 card sympathy/opposition tracker works beautifully, BlueChicken...

Great, they look beautiful too, your execution is more pretty than the execution in my mind.

I had a look at the rules and components. It looks very cool! I got a real COIN feeling and you added a lot of smart things to have so many COIN features in so few components.

I do think the rule book would benefit from a bit more explanations/definitions, like: what are the big red numbers? How to count things like control and city population? And some smaller things, like do you round up or down? Do you activate march from the starting or the destination region? Where is ineligible?

Some smaller questions:
Can the romans win on the first turn?
Influence = number of units (+2 if you have a base), right? But if you attack you just count your units, right? But if you attack as Iceni, you do add both units and +2 if they have a base from one other fraction?
Is it correct that you can only have units in three regions? (and not more than six units in one region?)

Typos:
Somewhere you wrote control card, should this be action card?
In the player aid, the last "player aid" is on the bottom of the page.

If you want to push it, you could have two events on each side of each card and use a die to select the next event.

Anyway, it looks very impressive already, keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
Re: [WIP] The Coin Tribes' Revolt - 2018 9 Card Nanogame pnp Contest (Component phase)
Thanks! And thanks for your comments, this is exactly what I need. It's so obvious to me what everything is and what it does, it's difficult to see everything through the eyes of someone else when writing it all down..

I'll take another pass at the rulebook later on today, rather than going through all the answers here. I think I definitely need some examples to illustrate things although I'm loath to make the rulebook much longer, I guess it's inevitable..

I will address one point though, I have intentionally set it so the Romans are close to winning at the start while the Iceni have no chance. However, as there's no way to rebuild cities, over time the balance should shift between them. Having intact cities has basically replaced civic actions, which will make a late game Roman comeback really tough. I'm sure it will need tweaking to make sure a first turn win is rare enough, but that's just one of many things that need testing out...

What do people think? The early government strength vs insurgency late growth seems to be a classic COIN trope, is it the right approach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played a COIN game, I think I'd need a few examples. I'd love to read an example turn. There's a lot I'm kind of unclear on after reading the rules. I want to try to play and see if I can figure it out but I'll post some questions soon.

For solo play, do you just play all 4 sides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
An example turn is a great idea, I should be able to illustrate many of the key points with that. I'll add it shortly after I've finished updating everything else after my latest playtest..

I originally intended to write a basic flowchart AI to run the other factions, but haven't had chance to do this yet so currently you do have to just play as all sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
An example turn is a great idea, I should be able to illustrate many of the key points with that. I'll add it shortly after I've finished updating everything else after my latest playtest..

I originally intended to write a basic flowchart AI to run the other factions, but haven't had chance to do this yet so currently you do have to just play as all sides.

Hi is this ready yet?

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.