11 Posts

Endeavor» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy the original and the Kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I have a chance to buy the original used for about $40 or wait for the KS or buy both. I have to decide by today.

Is it overkill to have both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're made out of money, I guess get them both.

But if you don't have either, I'd just recommend buying the KSer at the Commodore level. Check out all the KS extras that have been opened up due to the huge demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Burnett
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest the KS version to purchase. I have played the 1st edition and while it is a good game, the KS version appears to offer more abilities, better artwork and accessories that are better quality.

There is nothing wrong with the 1st edition but the KS version just overall looks better and has some newer KS stretch goal tiles that are not available in the 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
The Kick starter will cost me $60 more. I like this game and played it just once. Probably go for the KS only then as the prices of the old copy will drop once released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
The original is good as it is (and it looks better in my opinion at least) so just get that and save the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I have a chance to buy the original used for about $40 or wait for the KS or buy both. I have to decide by today.

Is it overkill to have both?

As others said before, the KS game adds a few things gameplay-wise. It's not a must have IMO, but I would go for the revised game with included expansion if money doesn't matter.

I don't see any reason to get both, unless you can't wait for the KS to be delivered.

Like Morten, I prefer the artwork of the old one, especially the icons on the buidlings are much easier to read in the old one. The new edition ones look way too busy and dark (lacking contrast) for my taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say go for the new one. I don't think you'll ever find yourself saying "Man, I wish I had the original version so that I could play without all of these new options cluttering up my box!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I don't want all the new things cluttering up the box and the game. Simple is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I'd say go for the new one. I don't think you'll ever find yourself saying "Man, I wish I had the original version so that I could play without all of these new options cluttering up my box!"

I disagree. I am with Morten. I have been following the KS and decided, nope - They had perfection from the start. Sometimes more is less. That is my particular opinion for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
The original version has one very big advantage over Kickstarting the new one: you get the original version now, not in X months.

Becq wrote:

I say that every time I open my Mayfair printing of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then the three of you shouldn't be considering the KS at all. The question asked above was "Should I buy *both*?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.