Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Cain
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

Like most of you, a lot of my trades (well, all of them) didn't go through this month. So that got me thinking on how to improve for the future. I was curious if something like this has happened before:

What if we have multiple, shorter math trades where each subsequent trade can only be comprised of items that didn't trade in the previous trade (all trades being contained in that month).

Example:
Let's say I put Azul, Splender, and Fluxx for trade on March 1st. On March 8th the trade is over and I only traded away Azul. March 9th starts a new trade, but I am only allowed to trade off Splendor and Fluxx. March 16th comes by and I trade off Splendor. March 17th a third and final trade happens and I upload Fluxx. March 24th arrives and I don't trade anything. Bummer. On April 1st, the April math trade starts and I upload Fluxx, Flash Point, and Celestia (since it's a new month, I can upload however many I want).

The point to this is that a lot of games I uploaded didn't trade, but I noticed a lot of the games I wanted to trade for didn't trade either. I am curious that if we ran the trade multiple times with the left over items, how many more trades could we get?

I also feel that 18 days for one trade is super long. I think 3.5 days to upload items and 3.5 days to upload wants is more than enough. With my above example, that will use up 3 weeks of the month, giving a 4th week for rest. If people feel they need more time, we could take days out of that 1 rest week and add it to the first week of the months trade (making the first trade 5 days to submit items and 4 days to submit wants). Every subsequent submission of items doesn't need to be long at all, since you can easily re-add everything from the previous math trade in minutes.

I don't know a lot about the logistics behind running a trade, so maybe none of this is feasible. I doubt there is a way to restrict trades to only things offered before, so it would probably have to be on the honor system. Who knows, maybe this whole thing is too much of a headache, but I wanted to get some discussion going nonetheless.

What are your thoughts or suggestions to improve the trades?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deose wrote:
Hey all!

Like most of you, a lot of my trades (well, all of them) didn't go through this month. So that got me thinking on how to improve for the future. I was curious if something like this has happened before:

What if we have multiple, shorter math trades where each subsequent trade can only be comprised of items that didn't trade in the previous trade (all trades being contained in that month).

Example:
Let's say I put Azul, Splender, and Fluxx for trade on March 1st. On March 8th the trade is over and I only traded away Azul. March 9th starts a new trade, but I am only allowed to trade off Splendor and Fluxx. March 16th comes by and I trade off Splendor. March 17th a third and final trade happens and I upload Fluxx. March 24th arrives and I don't trade anything. Bummer. On April 1st, the April math trade starts and I upload Fluxx, Flash Point, and Celestia (since it's a new month, I can upload however many I want).

The point to this is that a lot of games I uploaded didn't trade, but I noticed a lot of the games I wanted to trade for didn't trade either. I am curious that if we ran the trade multiple times with the left over items, how many more trades could we get?

I also feel that 18 days for one trade is super long. I think 3.5 days to upload items and 3.5 days to upload wants is more than enough. With my above example, that will use up 3 weeks of the month, giving a 4th week for rest. If people feel they need more time, we could take days out of that 1 rest week and add it to the first week of the months trade (making the first trade 5 days to submit items and 4 days to submit wants). Every subsequent submission of items doesn't need to be long at all, since you can easily re-add everything from the previous math trade in minutes.

I don't know a lot about the logistics behind running a trade, so maybe none of this is feasible. I doubt there is a way to restrict trades to only things offered before, so it would probably have to be on the honor system. Who knows, maybe this whole thing is too much of a headache, but I wanted to get some discussion going nonetheless.

We're currently doing this using abecorn. You can join the current running 2nd half of Feb trade here. (Here's our BGG guild page. and our automated results list on BGG.

We run trades every two weeks and automatically subtract the traded items from the list. When we ran trades shorter than two weeks, it was hard to get enough buy in to make worthwhile loops. If we went longer, it ran parallel to the OLWLG trade.

Since the trades blend together, the submission window is always open to accommodate user's time constraints. So you don't have to worry about posting to submission ratios.

There's also built in system that allows users to see who is offering (directly) games for your games. It will allow you to setup direct trades (just like BGG). So if you can't wait or you really want to get rid of untraded entries, you can have another chance based on your personal time constraints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The thing to keep in mind is that often those games don't trade because either:
1. Not many people want them (see: Fluxx)
2. People are overvaluing their own stuff (e.g. I'll trade Fluxx, but only for Agricola!)

Neither of those is resolved by running trades more frequently. If you want to maximize your own trades, the single easiest way to do so is to be very generous with your wants and offer things people might actually want.

Folks like myself are a little more conservative and are happy to keep offering things until the right trade comes along. Large, slower trades are more likely to offer those big chains that makes those kinds of trades happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
deose wrote:
Hey all!

Example:

I don't feel the trades need to be improved. I think William is doing an excellent job. I also think there needs to be a period of time between trades. Your suggestion of three back-to-back weekly trades seems impossible to keep up with from an administrative perspective. It seems unreasonable to ask a volunteering moderator to end one trade and immediately run another one, dealing with potential problems from earlier trades as another one is being run. Or you have to find three moderators to do this, with each taking a week.

As far as your suggestion of only 3.5 days for submissions and wants, that might be possible if I were retired, with little else to do. But I work for a living and have family, and am not always able to get this done in a short amount of time. I can only presume that most other geeks have a similar situation.

And what do you do when BGG or OLWLG goes down?

One trade a month seems right to me. Or two if you use abecorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Cain
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
deose wrote:
Hey all!

Example:

We're currently doing this using abecorn. You can join the current running 2nd half of Feb trade here. (Here's our BGG guild page. and our automated results list on BGG.

We run trades every two weeks and automatically subtract the traded items from the list. When we ran trades shorter than two weeks, it was hard to get enough buy in to make worthwhile loops. If we went longer, it ran parallel to the OLWLG trade.

Since the trades blend together, the submission window is always open to accommodate user's time constraints. So you don't have to worry about posting to submission ratios.

There's also built in system that allows users to see who is offering (directly) games for your games. It will allow you to setup direct trades (just like BGG). So if you can't wait or you really want to get rid of untraded entries, you can have another chance based on your personal time constraints.

That's awesome! I never heard of this before. Checking this out now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
deose wrote:

Speaking very generally, limiting what can go into a trade will tend to result in fewer trades. Math trades really benefit from more items, because it is more likely that each person will find SOMETHING of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.