Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some doubt about few situations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuri Avello
msg tools
Hi all! Finally after months waiting me and my brother started to play this wonderful game! We did 9 scenarios in 3 days (or better say night XD) but honestly we never failed a scenario and some of them weren't so challenging so i am wondering if i get wrong some rules!

I already read some of the F.a.q. and other stuff and looks i got pretty much right but i still have the feeling that i am doing something wrong.

To have a better understanding we are plaing as scoundrel and mindthief.

1) If i applied condition effect to a monster (stun, disarm, etc etc) it will end at the end of this or next turn?

2) Monster walk on traps and hazards (if is the only way to attack...) even if they will die? We did a scenario where a flame demon with 3 hp started behind 3 traps that take any possibly path, and as soon he had the chance to move to attack us died by the trap...

3) Scenario level: we choose a level equal our level, so now we are both level 3 and we did a level 3 scenario, but in the rulebook says "average level/2 rounded up" that should mean we should do scenario level 2, right?

4)Can i use stamina potion in any moment of the turn? I mean even i activated my 2 cards and the monsters acted?

5)The augment of the mindthief that give you 1 shield when you do a melee attack is cumulative? if i do an attack this turn and one in the next, after the second attack i will have 2 shield? (i did not used in this way bcz looks too powerful)

At the moment i don't recall any other doubt.

Honestly looks like scoundrel and mindthief make nice combo, especially now with the mindthief i have a lot of condition effect on the attack modifier deck.

Thanks in advance for whoever would like to solve my doubt!

Yuri
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kanehen
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrisoFandango wrote:
Hi all! Finally after months waiting me and my brother started to play this wonderful game! We did 9 scenarios in 3 days (or better say night XD) but honestly we never failed a scenario and some of them weren't so challenging so i am wondering if i get wrong some rules!

I already read some of the F.a.q. and other stuff and looks i got pretty much right but i still have the feeling that i am doing something wrong.

To have a better understanding we are plaing as scoundrel and mindthief.

1) If i applied condition effect to a monster (stun, disarm, etc etc) it will end at the end of this or next turn?

2) Monster walk on traps and hazards (if is the only way to attack...) even if they will die? We did a scenario where a flame demon with 3 hp started behind 3 traps that take any possibly path, and as soon he had the chance to move to attack us died by the trap...

3) Scenario level: we choose a level equal our level, so now we are both level 3 and we did a level 3 scenario, but in the rulebook says "average level/2 rounded up" that should mean we should do scenario level 2, right?

4)Can i use stamina potion in any moment of the turn? I mean even i activated my 2 cards and the monsters acted?

5)The augment of the mindthief that give you 1 shield when you do a melee attack is cumulative? if i do an attack this turn and one in the next, after the second attack i will have 2 shield? (i did not used in this way bcz looks too powerful)

At the moment i don't recall any other doubt.

Honestly looks like scoundrel and mindthief make nice combo, especially now with the mindthief i have a lot of condition effect on the attack modifier deck.

Thanks in advance for whoever would like to solve my doubt!

Yuri


1. It will end at the end of the monster's next turn. So if they haven't gone yet this round, it will be removed after their turn this round, but if they've already gone this round, then it will be removed after their turn in the next round.

2. Yes, if the only path to their focus is through a hex that deals them damage, they will still walk through it even if it will kill them. To your example, does Flame Demon have the Flying trait?

3. Correct, Avg Level/2 Round up. Should've been 2.

4. As long as it's still your turn, you can use the potion.

5. Yep, if you can do multiple attacks in a single turn, that will add multiple shield for that turn. They don't accumulate across multiple turns though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
GrisoFandango wrote:


1) If i applied condition effect to a monster (stun, disarm, etc etc) it will end at the end of this or next turn?


Yes. Which can be this round if your initiative is lower than the monster.

GrisoFandango wrote:

2) Monster walk on traps and hazards (if is the only way to attack...) even if they will die? We did a scenario where a flame demon with 3 hp started behind 3 traps that take any possibly path, and as soon he had the chance to move to attack us died by the trap...

Yes, they move on traps and hazards (if is the only path..) even if they die. However, the flame demon can fly. Flying creature ignore traps, hazards and obstacles.

GrisoFandango wrote:

3) Scenario level: we choose a level equal our level, so now we are both level 3 and we did a level 3 scenario, but in the rulebook says "average level/2 rounded up" that should mean we should do scenario level 2, right?


You should do level 2, if you want to play "normal". If you do level 3, you are playing "hard".

GrisoFandango wrote:

4)Can i use stamina potion in any moment of the turn? I mean even i activated my 2 cards and the monsters acted?

You can use stamina potion in YOUR turn. Note that a turn is different than a round.

GrisoFandango wrote:

5)The augment of the mindthief that give you 1 shield when you do a melee attack is cumulative? if i do an attack this turn and one in the next, after the second attack i will have 2 shield? (i did not used in this way bcz looks too powerful)

It is cumulative, but it last just one round. If you attack in twice in the same turn, then yes, you have shield 2. At the end of the round, you lose any shield you gained.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrisoFandango wrote:
Hi all! Finally after months waiting me and my brother started to play this wonderful game! We did 9 scenarios in 3 days (or better say night XD) but honestly we never failed a scenario and some of them weren't so challenging so i am wondering if i get wrong some rules!

I already read some of the F.a.q. and other stuff and looks i got pretty much right but i still have the feeling that i am doing something wrong.

To have a better understanding we are plaing as scoundrel and mindthief.

1) If i applied condition effect to a monster (stun, disarm, etc etc) it will end at the end of this or next turn?

2) Monster walk on traps and hazards (if is the only way to attack...) even if they will die? We did a scenario where a flame demon with 3 hp started behind 3 traps that take any possibly path, and as soon he had the chance to move to attack us died by the trap...

3) Scenario level: we choose a level equal our level, so now we are both level 3 and we did a level 3 scenario, but in the rulebook says "average level/2 rounded up" that should mean we should do scenario level 2, right?

4)Can i use stamina potion in any moment of the turn? I mean even i activated my 2 cards and the monsters acted?

5)The augment of the mindthief that give you 1 shield when you do a melee attack is cumulative? if i do an attack this turn and one in the next, after the second attack i will have 2 shield? (i did not used in this way bcz looks too powerful)

At the moment i don't recall any other doubt.

Honestly looks like scoundrel and mindthief make nice combo, especially now with the mindthief i have a lot of condition effect on the attack modifier deck.

Thanks in advance for whoever would like to solve my doubt!

Yuri


1) Most conditions wear off when the affected entity ends their next turn - so if the monster has already acted, it will still be afflicted next round; if it's yet to act that round, it will wear off at the end of that turn instead. If anyone gets a condition during their turn, then it lasts through their next turn as well.

2) Yes, while they'll avoid traps where possible, when it's not possible, they'll walk into them.

3) Yes. You play at scenario level 1 (+ difficulty modifier) until your average party level is over 2 (eg one at level 2; the other at level 3)

4) Your turn is the period during the round when your initiative comes up. You can take the potion before or after your two card actions for the round, but it has to be before anyone else acts.

5) Feedback Loop adds "Shield 1 (continuous until end of round)" to your melee attacks. If you attacked multiple times in a round, the shields would stack, but they all go away at the end of the round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Avello
msg tools
Thanks a lot Josh for the quick answer!

So i got wrong the condition, i use to do next turn regardless if they acted or no (even for us, but rarely we got conditions), and this made it easer for us.

Regarding the flame demon i guess i missed the flying trait that would make sense how the scenario was setup.

Thanks again!!!

Yuri
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Avello
msg tools
Thanks michele and robert as well!
I saw your posts after i posted mine!

I think definitely that how i used the condition was what made game easier. I used to stun 2 monster in 2 round in a row, and keep them stunned for 2 rounds....whistlewhistlewhistle

Same thing with immobilizations and other stuff.

Ah! Another question came on my mind:

Can i apply more than 1 wound token so they will take more than 1 damage and the begin of the next turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrisoFandango wrote:
Thanks michele and robert as well!
I saw your posts after i posted mine!

I think definitely that how i used the condition was what made game easier. I used to stun 2 monster in 2 round in a row, and keep them stunned for 2 rounds....whistlewhistlewhistle

Same thing with immobilizations and other stuff.

Ah! Another question came on my mind:

Can i apply more than 1 wound token so they will take more than 1 damage and the begin of the next turn?


Conditions don't stack. Someone either has Wound or doesn't; they don't get double-wounded.

The exceptions are the conditions Bless and Curse that can be applied so long as there are still cards available to shuffle into the relevant modifier deck. Also, "active bonuses" (Shield/Retaliate) are not conditions and work differently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GrisoFandango wrote:
Can i apply more than 1 wound token so they will take more than 1 damage and the begin of the next turn?

No. Conditions that have tokens do not stack. Once someone is wounded, they will incur 1 damage at the start of each of their turns (until healed), no matter how many "wound" effects are applied.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Avello
msg tools
Thanks again everyone!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Jamestown
North Dakota
flag msg tools
GrisoFandango wrote:
...especially now with the mindthief i have a lot of condition effect on the attack modifier deck...


Not sure if you're playing this way or not, but this makes it sound like you are using all the attack modifier cards from the mindthief's box to begin with. Those are actually the perk cards and are only added to the base attack modifier deck when you take the corresponding deck.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding and you are playing correctly, but I know others have made this mistake and wanted to make sure.

Either way, enjoy the mindthief! She's one of my favorites.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ccrunner52 wrote:
GrisoFandango wrote:
...especially now with the mindthief i have a lot of condition effect on the attack modifier deck...


Not sure if you're playing this way or not, but this makes it sound like you are using all the attack modifier cards from the mindthief's box to begin with. Those are actually the perk cards and are only added to the base attack modifier deck when you take the corresponding deck.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding and you are playing correctly, but I know others have made this mistake and wanted to make sure.

Either way, enjoy the mindthief! She's one of my favorites.

that was the first thing that came to my mind too when I read the OP's post. But then I got sidetracked and forgot to mention it in my reply.

Every character's (as well as the monsters) AttMod deck starts with the same 20 cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Avello
msg tools
I am level 3 with 2 perks unlocked through marks, so i made 5 improvement on the attack modifier deck. Yes i started with the vanilla one but i started to put the condition since the beginnig. Thank for the clarification that may be useful anyway!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
GrisoFandango wrote:
I am level 3 with 2 perks unlocked through marks, so i made 5 improvement on the attack modifier deck. Yes i started with the vanilla one but i started to put the condition since the beginnig. Thank for the clarification that may be useful anyway!


If you're level 3 with 2 perks through marks, you should have only 4 improvement .

1 for lvl 2 one for lvl 3 and 2 for the marks .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Avello
msg tools
kornetmuse wrote:
GrisoFandango wrote:
I am level 3 with 2 perks unlocked through marks, so i made 5 improvement on the attack modifier deck. Yes i started with the vanilla one but i started to put the condition since the beginnig. Thank for the clarification that may be useful anyway!


If you're level 3 with 2 perks through marks, you should have only 4 improvement .

1 for lvl 2 one for lvl 3 and 2 for the marks .


yes maybe 4 XD
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.