Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brands
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Introductory notes:

First, I think the game is excellent! – and does not need any fixes at all.

At the same time, I love to tinker with games and explore potential additional design space. When I really enjoy a game, I especially enjoy exploring such additional space with multiple additional plays of the game. This does not mean these are better ways to play – just different, for more possible fun, and sometimes these options will be later set aside… It’s an exploratory adventure, for those who are interested. Along those lines as well, I do not claim these ideas are play-tested to any level of “proof” – they are exploratory, to be tried…

On that basis, I share the following three variants simply as brainstorming ideas at this point. See what you think. Add your ideas for improvements…

Finally, I am deeply intrigued with this game’s idea of “scenarios” – not new to this game, of course, but seemingly very relevant to its theme, and promising much potential for varied strategic experiences. I wonder whether the three ideas below are more of the nature of variants or more like additional possible scenarios. The idea of a different scenario is to change the strategic experience – which is precisely what these ideas will do. Well, anyway, here goes…

~ ~ ~

CITIES CONTROL

Notes:
This variant is based to a significant extent on other related variant forum threads pertaining to this game.
This variant will significantly change the game and its strategies – almost as if it were a different scenario…

* Setup: Set out control flags according to the following control rules

* Controlling a Colony
– Controlling each area in the Colony in question = 1 Control Point, with +1 for each controlled City (and +1 for each controlled Fort if using that variant).
– An area containing only Native American units earns 1 Control Point for Native Americans (+1 per City and +1 per Fort there).
– The side (or Native Americans) with the most Control Points in each Colony controls that Colony. Control by Native Americans is relevant only in that this means one of the main sides in the game does not control this Colony.

~ ~ ~

FORTS

Notes:
This variant is based to a significant extent on other related variant forum threads pertaining to this game.
This variant will significantly change the game and its strategies – almost as if it were a different scenario…

* Setup – Tokens needed: 6 Forts

* Building Forts: When playing a movement card, that player may sacrifice all the possible movement of 1 Army (only) to build a Fort in an area their side currently controls and where there is at least 1 unit of his own faction. Note, however, that a side may not build another Fort if it already controls 3 or more Forts.

* Effects of Forts:
– Muster: At turn start, you may muster up to a total of 2 of your units into any Forts you control.
– Battle: In a battle in an area where you control a Fort, cancel the first Hit result against you
– Control: If using the Cities Control variant, controlling a Fort grants +1 Control Point.

~ ~ ~

BATTLE CRAFT

Notes:
The inspiration for this variant is drawn from ideas featured in the game “Washington’s War”.
This variant will extremely change the game and its strategies – as if it were a different scenario…
This variant is not recommended with the Cities Control variant.
The Forts variant is recommended with this variant, with the additional rule that only the American side can build Forts.

* American Side: Guerrilla Warfare
– Can Muster +2 units total per turn into Cities NOT on the Atlantic COAST
– Movement Cards:
> Land movement: 1 Army may move +1 space
> Water movement: 1 Army moves -1 space
– In a Battle in an area NOT adjacent to the Atlantic ocean, cancel the first Hit result against you

* British Side: Conventional Warfare; Intimidating Navy
– Can Muster +2 units total per turn into Cities on the Atlantic COAST
– Movement Cards:
> Land movement into an area NOT adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean: 1 Army total this turn moves -1 space
> Water movement: 1 Army may move +1 space
– In a Battle in an area adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean, your first Hit result counts double

> Dr. Questing <
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Should have stopped there.

These represent massive changes. I've no idea how much they might tilt the balance.

I don't understand why "creative" tweakers don't actually TRY something, and have other people involved, before they grace us with their creations.

Oh-- sorry. I DO understand.

thumbsdownthumbsdownthumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
why "creative" tweakers don't actually TRY something, and have other people involved

I think he posted it here, to try to get other people involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Have you tried 1754 ? It has forts, control points based on cities and forts held and coastal port reinforcement for the British and French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Sedgwick
Maine
flag msg tools
I agree great game. I like your ideas and will try them out.

Variants that work and give a game some fun changes are great. I use the naval variant in 1812 and it adds a fun flavor to another great game.

Don't let the crybaby stop your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brands
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Actually, the "don't understand" should work the other way.
BGG proposes to offer this space as a "forum" -- which by definition is a place for discussion. If the gaming hobby community is a dignified respectful community -- as I believe it is, as I seek to contribute to making it so, and as I believe we want to be perceived in the wider world -- then such a forum should also be a place of open, respectful, and even safe discussion.
So what is actually more and more difficult to understand is the attitude by some gamers who seem to act as if they are the universal shut-down-creative-exploration-discussion police. THAT, actually, is offensive-- to the whole gaming community. No further comment on that -- and none should be needed in the first place.
Gaming is supposed to be about fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brands
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I was not aware of that one – will definitely look into that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brands
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for encouraging creativity in the world that should not need to be threatening to anyone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Quote:

Should have stopped there.

These represent massive changes. I've no idea how much they might tilt the balance.

I don't understand why "creative" tweakers don't actually TRY something, and have other people involved, before they grace us with their creations.

Oh-- sorry. I DO understand.

thumbsdownthumbsdownthumbsdown

I sometimes just do not understand people on BGG. Boo on you sir.

I had a thread talking about adding the Forts from 1754 into 1775. I think it is an intriguing idea, and I'm looking forward to trying it. Actually, I'm hoping it might be a feature in a 1775 expansion I have heard teased from Academy.

As far as control, I do agree that it is a massive change, but I might give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brands
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks again for your earlier thread venturing the idea of forts. I agree that this is an intriguing thematic idea for this historical setting.
To expand a bit on why, one of the fascinating aspects of battle strategy is that armies of whichever side almost never blanket an entire region or territory with troops, and so never entirely ensure absolute control everywhere. So how then do armies win wars at all? By establishing strategic strong-holds, foot-holds, or concentrated presence in or at the most determining or influential or tactical locations. So wars can be won -- and often do come down to -- a specific conflict over a particular piece of turf. It seems to me that the whole idea of forts is precisely to establish and maintain such a strategic force in one powerful place. Historically, it also seems to me the American revolutionary war came down to such localized turning-point battles, perhaps at several points, but each time in a specific place or rather small area. I think this game captures the spirit of this dynamic well -- and forts would simply enhance this element of the drama and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.