Popular Tags: [View All]
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this is how it works, just looking for confirmation.

When you have multiple adjacent map locations where each square is completely surrounded by walls (orange lines), they are essentially separate buildings, regardless of how the terrain graphics look, correct?

So if you're in one of the completely surrounded squares, a search action couldn't reach the adjacent square, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite right.

If two adjacent areas with yellow outlines are on the same tile then that is one building for search purposes. For example, the building on the SE tile in the first scenario (Scavenger Run) is a single building made up of two areas. Note it still counts as two areas for movement purposes.

If adjacent buildings span tiles then they are completely separate buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get that from?

If that's the case, please explain the difference between the two adjacent orange spaces without an orange line between them on the open dot side of tile #2 and two adjacent orange spaces with an orange line between them on the solid dot side of tile #4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grenko Nekrovitch
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waleslie wrote:
Where did you get that from?

If that's the case, please explain the difference between the two adjacent orange spaces without an orange line between them on the open dot side of tile #2 and two adjacent orange spaces with an orange line between them on the solid dot side of tile #4.

Good question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9 of the rules it shows that a Building is defined by 1 or more Spaces on a single tile that are completely surrounded by Walls. The orange lines indicate walls of that building. On page 12, there is a definition for "building" where they add that the building spaces are mutually surrounded by Walls.

On page 13, there is a question in the FAQ that asks "If there are two adjacent spaces that combine to form a Searchable building, can I put a Barricade on the line connecting both spaces?" The answer is that barricades can be placed on Walls.

Under set up, it shows that the number of Search Decks potentially will indicate the number of buildings involved in the scenario. For the "Scavenging Run" scenario there are 4 decks, so 4 buildings: one on the upper left tile, one on the upper right tile, one on the lower left tile, and the one made up of two spaces on the lower right tile since they are 1 or more spaces, grouped together, on a single tile surrounded by Walls.

Also, under the Search Cards section (page 9) it sounds like a building will only ever have one Search Deck associated with it since it talks about the building beginning a Scenario with a Search Deck, and not either a plural or possible plural like "Deck(s)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henk Allaert
Belgium
Dadizele
flag msg tools
mbmb
waleslie wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is how it works, just looking for confirmation.

When you have multiple adjacent map locations where each square is completely surrounded by walls (orange lines), they are essentially separate buildings, regardless of how the terrain graphics look, correct?

So if you're in one of the completely surrounded squares, a search action couldn't reach the adjacent square, right?

I say you're correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further to Tyrone’s post above, see below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't seen the answer as to the difference between the two tiles I referenced.

I suspect they are a "building" with two squares and two separate but adjacent "buildings".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference to me is that if they are connected on the same tile and each space is surrounded by orange lines, it is a single building with 2 different, completely enclosed rooms. So you could completely barricade that building and the rooms. If the building does not have fully walled in rooms you couldn't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at both sides of tile #5 and the graphics.

One side has 4 adjacent (L-shaped) squares with orange lines only around the perimeter. I take this to be 1 building. The graphics seem to back that up. I take that to mean I could search a search deck located in any of those 4 squares from any of those 4 squares.

The other side shows two adjacent squares, each surrounded by orange lines (ie including a line between the two squares). I take this to be 2 separate buildings. Again, the graphics seem to back that up. I take that to mean I could search a search deck located in either of those 2 squares only from the square the deck is in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the normal rules it would've been a single building (maybe it had one of those walkway connectors that we can't see) but the Scenario Sheet itself answers the question that for the Clear Scenario (at least) the Scenario has designated it as two separate buildings by giving each space a Search Deck.

I also completely see your point about how this was a case of the designers over complicating their rules when they didn't have to, or at least not following their own rules when they made the Scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
According to the normal rules it would've been a single building
Please clarify which you're referring to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely laid it out above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I see that now.

I think we're inserting a new term that never shows up in the rulebook... "rooms".

The rulebook only ever mentions buildings. What you're saying is a building with two rooms (that can have a barricade placed between them), I'm classifying as two buildings. I think the graphics support my classification, and you're saying the "Clear" scenario (which I unfortunately didn't add into my pledge) may also be supporting that.

So I'm back to my original idea of... you can search from anywhere to anywhere within the boundaries of an orange outline ("building" be it one square or many without orange lines between the squares), but you cannot search across an orange line (ie, into an adjacent "building").

This seems to make sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.