Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: Big Mage Knight Fan - Can I adapt to this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mozartcup Mozartcup
msg tools
I do like the idea of a more strongly-themed Mage Knight game. Being partial to the original Star Trek series, I'm even more interested in Frontiers now that the Khan expansion is out. MK fans that have Frontiers, have you been able to overcome the re-skinning (oh, that's a Mage Tower!), and enjoy this game thematically?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played both and like both of them. Thematically I find Frontiers to be more immersive. Then again the game has often been critizised for not carrying the Star Trek spirit enough as it too much fighting and a too aggressive Federation in the game. While I see the point of this critizism, I personally do not care about, it may or may not be a problem for you, though.

Gameplaywise it is often critizised for being too easy, yes it is easy compared to Mage Knight, but I play the game for the stories it tells and less for my personal win/lose ratio - another thing you might want to consider in your „assimilation“ into Frontiers...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Mixo wrote:
yes it is easy compared to Mage Knight,...

And I think there are just as many players out there who are attracted to this kind of "easy"!


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Mixo wrote:
yes it is easy compared to Mage Knight,...

And I think there are just as many players out there who are attracted to this kind of "easy"!


You're right, then again in my perception the hardcore Mage Knight gamers seem to have been disappointed by Frontiers as to THEM (those with a lot of experience under their belts) it seems to be too easy
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Mixo wrote:
yes it is easy compared to Mage Knight,...

And I think there are just as many players out there who are attracted to this kind of "easy"!


You're right, then again in my perception the hardcore Mage Knight gamers seem to have been disappointed by Frontiers as to THEM (those with a lot of experience under their belts) seems to be too easy


Feedback on the relative difficulty of Frontiers led us to add the new Challenge Deck to the Khan expansion. Now, if desired, you can bump up the difficulty right from the very start of the game. robot
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Mixo wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Mixo wrote:
yes it is easy compared to Mage Knight,...

And I think there are just as many players out there who are attracted to this kind of "easy"!


You're right, then again in my perception the hardcore Mage Knight gamers seem to have been disappointed by Frontiers as to THEM (those with a lot of experience under their belts) seems to be too easy


Feedback on the relative difficulty of Frontiers led us to add the new Challenge Deck to the Khan expansion. Now, if desired, you can bump up the difficulty right from the very start of the game. robot


I love this addition! Thank you so much for it! *Crosses fingers, hoping for Janeway and/or Enterprise expansions*
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggressive Federation? I think they have great potential to use Diplomacy and avoid brawls to large extend. At least i play it like that and it works. It felt weird in the rules - i mean Federation conquering and demolishing - but when i play i don't feel it is necessary to do so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.