Subject: Any way to filter out / ignore some members? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I read comments for a game I'm interested in, I inevitably stumble upon the same characters who either copy paste the same comment giving a game a 1 or 2 (e.g. coops are not games or euros are not games or I don't know what other nonsense they are pushing) or they rate an unreleased game which they have not played a 1 just because.

I understand that everyone has their opinion, but frankly, I don't like reading the same 'opinion' over and over again. It contributes nothing.

Is there any way to ignore or block such users? Just for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course there is! It is called your block list. But beware that it is regarded as an offense to write about your block list or its content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
Hit the drop down arrow below their user name and select Hide User's Posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:
Of course there is! It is called your block list. But beware that it is regarded as an offense to write about your block list or its content.

Don't tell me what to do! *blocked*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
The above solutions don't work for comments, only for forum posts. So I'm afraid there's no solution to your problem. (That is, unless you limit yourself to what your Geekbuddies write.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Block only works for subscriptions, not for ratings comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can filter comments by rating: click on the appropriate bar in the ratings histogram. This way you can choose not to look at the extreme opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
schmloof wrote:
gaaloechild wrote:

I know you're joking, you know you're joking but gaaloechild wasn't joking about "it's an offense". Let's hope no mods see your post:
Quote:
Note that talking about who is in your hide list in the forums is a zero-tolerance offense and will result in immediate moderation. Moderators will not discriminate based on apparent attempts at humor. Aldie made a statement about that here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/255246

Emphasis added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pansonic wrote:
Is there any way to ignore or block such users? Just for me.

At the moment, your best bet is probably to be found here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_XML_API

But if you're not a programer, you're kind of stuck. The comments are easy to pull but you'll need to run a filter on them based on a (manually constructed) list of users whose comments you don't want to see and you'd probably want to make it look prettier for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
A recent thread with the same question (how to block a user's game comments) might be of interest:

Can I block users?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
pansonic wrote:
Whenever I read comments for a game I'm interested in, I inevitably stumble upon the same characters who either copy paste the same comment

I've been seeing a few users doing this lately. I don't mind their opinions nor even the foolishness of rating games they haven't played, but pasting hundreds of copies of the same comment in a day is a PITA. A couple people -- including a longtime user I like -- include solicitations in their comments. How is this not spam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
A couple people -- including a longtime user I like -- include solicitations in their comments. How is this not spam?

What kind of "solicitations"? E.g. actual commercial messages or URLs to sell something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
russ wrote:
E.g. actual commercial messages or URLs to sell something?

No. At worst, it's to trade/buy.

Edit: quote format

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
The above solutions don't work for comments, only for forum posts. So I'm afraid there's no solution to your problem. (That is, unless you limit yourself to what your Geekbuddies write.)

There's your answer - GeekBuddies. Instead of seeing everyone's comments by default, you can see only the comments of users you've deemed worthy and put on your list. It takes time to build a good list, but it's well worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
schmloof wrote:
gaaloechild wrote:

I know you're joking, you know you're joking but gaaloechild wasn't joking about "it's an offense". Let's hope no mods see your post:
Quote:
Note that talking about who is in your hide list in the forums is a zero-tolerance offense and will result in immediate moderation. Moderators will not discriminate based on apparent attempts at humor. Aldie made a statement about that here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/255246

Emphasis added.

Yep. It's not a breach of etiquette, it's explicitly against the site's rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
<snip>

*cough*
Do not quote inappropriate posts in your replies--this defeats the purpose of the User Driven Moderating system.

*cough*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my defense, the post I quoted was only inappropriate because it quoted another post which was only inappropriate because of a zero-tolerance rule. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Asmor wrote:
<snip>

*cough*
Do not quote inappropriate posts in your replies--this defeats the purpose of the User Driven Moderating system.

*cough*

BGG Rules wrote:
Accusing other users of committing rules violations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we're all getting banned I guess.

It was a good run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. how about a request from BGG then?

When selecting the 'hide user's posts' option, automatically disable that user's rating comments from showing (for all those who clicked that option ofc).

I mean, it makes more sense. No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
darkabolisher wrote:
So.. how about a request from BGG then?

When selecting the 'hide user's posts' option, automatically disable that user's rating comments from showing (for all those who clicked that option ofc).

I mean, it makes more sense. No?

It would arguably make more sense to make it a separate independent option:

* There are probably some users who give reasonable useful game comments, but who might annoy someone in interactive forum discussions.

* There are users who are not annoying in forum threads, but who write mostly useless game comments like "Sold" or "looks interesting" or "acquired 2014-03-15" or "stored at Bob's house" etc -- it would be great to be able to filter out those kind of game rating comments without blocking those users' posts in threads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.