United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Teens Will Save Us

Needless to say, they rebelled.

Twitter thread here when she talks more about it and how in general kids have always caved to authority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing I've heard all day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some dick-wad I went to HS with posed some shite on Facebook blaming the shooting on how lousy/worthless kids are today, and parents are inept because 'librulz', no praying in schools, etc... 'jadda-jadda'

Posted this quote and plonked his ass.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

― Socrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:

― Socrates

"Who's he? Some damm immugrant?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

― Socrates

"Who's he? Some damm immugrant?"

"Not only that he was convicted of not loving the right religion and corrupting the young with his questioning authority. Death's too good for him"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I tell the students that in order to help them succeed, I must implement strict classroom rules. They must raise their hand before doing anything at all, even asking another student for a pencil. They lose points each time they don't behave as expected.

It makes me wonder how she conducts her classes usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
If the teacher does this regularly I can't see how most of the kids wouldn't already be aware of what was going on. It might work if you did it every 4th year, maybe even every 3rd, but otherwise enough kids will know what is going on to screw up the experiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
If the teacher does this regularly I can't see how most of the kids wouldn't already be aware of what was going on. It might work if you did it every 4th year, maybe even every 3rd, but otherwise enough kids will know what is going on to screw up the experiment.

She didn't do it yearly; the title and tweet is a bit misleading, or there was some other arrangement (maybe she rotates schools? dunno). From the article:
"I’ve done this experiment numerous times, albeit not consecutively, and every year I have similar results."

Xahendir wrote:
Quote:
I tell the students that in order to help them succeed, I must implement strict classroom rules. They must raise their hand before doing anything at all, even asking another student for a pencil. They lose points each time they don't behave as expected.

Probably less strict? I'm sure I've never been to a school where you had to ask permission to ask another student for a pencil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The story was double-plus good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the teacher has run this experiment for years, it gets thwarted once, and now "I believe the children are our future" and adults could take a lesson from them?

Those kids are in four years time going to be doing kegger handstands. The vast majority of those kids don't have a single real obligation to worry about. Those kids still do not have fully developed brains. I'm glad that some of them have taken note of the situation in the world and are learning from it. But I also suspect that a large majority of those in this uprising are kids whose thought process was "Hey, some kids are doing something different than what a teacher says. This could be fun, let's fuck with things a little."

Obviously, a bunch of sheep like those will turn into future Republicans, yeah?

On an individual, case-by-case basis, kids can surprise. Kids can be more than just kids. This class had a couple of exceptions, and I hope those kids go on to feel they have a chance to influence the direction of this country. And I hope that the other kids see what is possible and grow into that. But if you think that these kids at 15 will be the same at 22 will be the same at 32 will be the same at 52....

... that's not how the world works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So, the teacher has run this experiment for years, it gets thwarted once, and now "I believe the children are our future" and adults could take a lesson from them?

Those kids are in four years time going to be doing kegger handstands. The vast majority of those kids don't have a single real obligation to worry about. Those kids still do not have fully developed brains. I'm glad that some of them have taken note of the situation in the world and are learning from it. But I also suspect that a large majority of those in this uprising are kids whose thought process was "Hey, some kids are doing something different than what a teacher says. This could be fun, let's fuck with things a little."

On an individual, case-by-case basis, kids can surprise. Kids can be more than just kids. This class had a couple of exceptions, and I hope those kids go on to feel they have a chance to influence the direction of this country. And I hope that the other kids see what is possible and grow into that. But if you think that these kids at 15 will be the same at 22 will be the same at 32 will be the same at 52....

Eh, although you are correct in stating that not all those that rebelled will be rebels at 52, the fact that a majority of them determined that somethng needed to be fought, is good enough. The wolrds greats, remembered in the history books, never knew they were going to be in those books, until well into their lifetime, and probably not even then.

Everyone rises at their own pace, but I would be heartened by the fact that so many decided to take the step up. You never know when the next JFK, or Pope John Paul II, or MLK, or Winston Churchill, is in the crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Eh, although you are correct in stating that not all those that rebelled will be rebels at 52, the fact that a majority of them determined that somethng needed to be fought, is good enough. The wolrds greats, remembered in the history books, never knew they were going to be in those books, until well into their lifetime, and probably not even then.

Everyone rises at their own pace, but I would be heartened by the fact that so many decided to take the step up. You never know when the next JFK, or Pope John Paul II, or MLK, or Winston Churchill, is in the crowd.

So can we then assume that these future leaders we are speaking of will never ever come from the previous experiments which went off without a hitch? Kids were never the future until this year when they rose up?

Like I said, it's nice to see that there are some who are looking at the world around them, seeing what's going on, and then applying that. But the reason they stand out is because they are the exceptions.

I could pare this down further. The youth group in my church. Sharing the same values as I have, a constant focus on moral character in their upbringing. If there is any group of youth in whom I should have implicit faith the way this teacher states in her closing paragraph, it's them. And I don't. Love them all, but they are still derps*. They still do stupid kid stuff. They still fixate on things which have no real importance because that's the stage of development they are in. True, they are further ahead in certain areas and I am glad of it. But I also see up close what those kids do and... they're kids.

Like kids have always been.

And a teacher saying "Hey adults, look at these kids and be like them" would mean that I am not spending nearly enough time playing Age of Duty Halos.

* What is the collective noun for derps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
She never had kids disobey before? Sorry I call BS on this whole article. No one ever talked about this to other classes? Nope. Nice story though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

So can we then assume that these future leaders we are speaking of will never ever come from the previous experiments which went off without a hitch? Kids were never the future until this year when they rose up?

Like I said, it's nice to see that there are some who are looking at the world around them, seeing what's going on, and then applying that. But the reason they stand out is because they are the exceptions.

I could pare this down further. The youth group in my church. Sharing the same values as I have, a constant focus on moral character in their upbringing. If there is any group of youth in whom I should have implicit faith the way this teacher states in her closing paragraph, it's them. And I don't. Love them all, but they are still derps*. They still do stupid kid stuff. They still fixate on things which have no real importance because that's the stage of development they are in. True, they are further ahead in certain areas and I am glad of it. But I also see up close what those kids do and... they're kids.

Like kids have always been.

And a teacher saying "Hey adults, look at these kids and be like them" would mean that I am not spending nearly enough time playing Age of Duty Halos.

* What is the collective noun for derps?

I understand what you are asking, and I agree that those whom did not necessarily rebel might turn out to be just as successful or consequential as those that rebelled. But in general, the greats of history were not complacent souls. If anything, they showed a sense of urgency, a sense of passion, and an overall rock solid commmitment to their beliefs, and the goals they were pursuing. This applies to the good men of history, as well as the bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
She never had kids disobey before? Sorry I call BS on this whole article. No one ever talked about this to other classes? Nope. Nice story though.

She never said she didn't have kids disobey before. A few did, but they eventually fell in line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

She never said she didn't have kids disobey before. A few did, but they eventually fell in line.

The reactions of the Skeptics are good indication of why corporations and the wealthy and Powerful have been so effective at subverting our culture.

If you believe nothing can work, then you'll probably be right for situations where you are involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
matthean wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

The reactions of the Skeptics are good indication of why corporations and the wealthy and Powerful have been so effective at subverting our culture.

If you believe nothing can work, then you'll probably be right 4 situations where you are involved.

Wow you take one statement I made and extrapolated my entries worldview from it and came up with this distillable outcome. Congrats man. You are psychic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sajberhippien wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
Quote:

Probably less strict? I'm sure I've never been to a school where you had to ask permission to ask another student for a pencil.

Yes, the pencil is extreme but otherwise I do expect pupils to ask the authorisation to intervene during a class.

Perrin2017 wrote:

I have read her tweets and she acknowledge that the "rebellion" may come from the fact that she asked the staff to enforce her "1984 rules" on other pupils in the high school.

maxo-texas wrote:

If you believe nothing can work, then you'll probably be right 4 situations where you are involved.

In the other hand, if her rules were "don't intervene before asking", "don't talk without authorisation", "don't come in class without reading the last class lesson", ... for me it's not authoritarian rules, but serious teaching policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo llyboat
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Some dick-wad I went to HS with posed some shite on Facebook blaming the shooting on how lousy/worthless kids are today, and parents are inept because 'librulz', no praying in schools, etc... 'jadda-jadda'

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

― Socrates

Although people have been complaining about kids for a long time, this particular quote isn't from Socrates. It's from Kenneth Freeman in 1907.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jollyboat wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

― Socrates

Although people have been complaining about kids for a long time, this particular quote isn't from Socrates. It's from Kenneth Freeman in 1907.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
matthean wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

Wow you take one statement I made and extrapolated my entries worldview from it and came up with this distillable outcome. Congrats man. You are psychic.

Well, since i wasn't talking about just one post in this thread, it's clear you are not (psychic). Consider my use of "Skeptics" instead of "you".

Also I wasn't commenting on your worldview- not sure where you pulled that from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"Hey, this guy over here has never held a political office nor has served in the military. I think I'll vote for him."

"Are you NUTS!?!?! What qualifications do you think he has to lead us? Now these teenagers over here, THESE are the hope of the future. I'll listen to them, they are qualified."

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I hang posters with motivational quotes and falsified statistics, and provide a false narrative for the problem

and

Quote:
Teenagers will save us. So, just like Emma Gonzalez, my students did not back down nor conform.

So, she puts forth motivational quotes and false statements and then is happy that her students rebel against HER and follow the example of Ms. Gonzalez (who puts forth motivational quotes and false statements.)

I'm not sure I'm seeing anybody being taught anything other than to follow blindly a DIFFERENT drummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, this thread is getting dumb, so let's try to dedumbify it a bit.

Not everyone in a generation is the same, but they learn from the struggles of their time: Specifically, of the struggles that occurred as they moved towards adulthood. Some generations have wars. Others economic crisis. This kids are learning another lesson: It's not that the adult world doesn't like their music, or their drugs: They don't like youth's values, and frankly, they don't even value their lives very much. Whether they are right or wrong, justified or unjustified, it doesn't really matter. The future is for the young.

Instead of a conservatism that cares about economic growth, and that they could grow to like, because they become wealthy themselves, they learn that conservatism is about racism, love of guns over lives, and about the power of disinformation. They might decide that fighting those things is a good idea, or that they want to use the same tools for their own means, because they expect politics and nations to be dismal. Either way, they'll be marked by the world that talk radio, fox, and now Trump created. A world that, after seeing a black man president, decided that nativism, white supremacy and kleptocracy will be a good idea.

If people thought that Obama was a swing of the pendulum, and that Trumpism was the natural response, be afraid of what will happen if instead of moderation, the real left, which is always powered from youth, decides that the next swing should be harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's up for some Lord of the Flies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.