Subject: Has anyone played this with 6? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if the additional playmat and tokens are worth buying just to have one big massive game going. It sounds like it'd be fun.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven‘t played it with 5+ but I will certainly not buy the 5/6 player expansion. The game will just get too slow. Have a look at the recommnded player count - one third on the gamers would not recommend the game with FOUR players, that ratio is likely higher with 5 or 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't see this being fun over 4 players - much better to split into two shorter, more fun games by that point !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a great time with 6! It's a really epic game then. But everyone needs tobe familiar,and it is longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
I've had a great time with 6! It's a really epic game then. But everyone needs tobe familiar,and it is longer.

Agreed. I think the key to a game over 4 is having everyone be familiar enough to run the invaders on their starting board and be willing to not get bogged down in the details. It's possible, but I think it's group dependent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, but just once. It did run pretty long (two of the players were new), but I had fun the whole time. One issue we ran into is towards the end, one end of the board was pretty much cleared, with all the problem areas on the other end. So a couple spirits who'd solved their side of the map early had some pretty uninteresting turns without being able to get their presence down to where they could help. I think if everyone already knew the game it wouldn't take much longer than a four player game. Afterwards, I picked up another copy of the base game just so we wouldn't keep running out of components, but haven't gotten to play it again with more than 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
Mixo wrote:
Haven‘t played it with 5+ but I will certainly not buy the 5/6 player expansion.

This seems odd. Why would you not want two new boards, X new spirits, powers, etc? No one is forcing you to play a six player game.

Note: I am assuming you are talking about the to-be-kickstarted-this-summer expansion that is supposed to add six player support, not any of the existing stuff, because none of that stuff deserves the title "expansion".

Also note for the OP: Eric has come out and said that the best way to play the game with more than 4 is to use multiple copies of the game, if possible, to avoid scarcity of pieces and to have the ability to play on the balanced map. You will still need to acquire more presence colors, but that's like a $10 purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play with 6 strong, experienced players who don’t need help running the game or carrying out strategies. If you can limit the communication to essentials (“can anyone help me in this space?”), it could work. But I don’t know that many players at that skill level, so I have no use for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
Dormammu wrote:
I would play with 6 strong, experienced players who don’t need help running the game or carrying out strategies. If you can limit the communication to essentials (“can anyone help me in this space?”), it could work. But I don’t know that many players at that skill level, so I have no use for it.

And sometimes you just want to burn a big chunk of a day hanging out with friends and playing a good game, so it doesn't matter if it takes a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Man, i would never ever want to play with 5-6 players.5 players taking their turn before your next turn..wow. I hope people already know to play the game because it will last 4 hours.

I don’t even know why they annnounced a 6 player expansion. Just to please the fans i guess? Because it certainly don’t play well with six, no way unless everyone is familiar with the game.
(It’s my favorite game ever by the way..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since everything's meant to happen simultaneously, that should cut down on the play time.

That said (mostly because I either play solo or teaching games), I haven't actually played a simultaneous game yet. <.< My groups are more familiar with Sentinels, so going around the table asking "What've you got for this round?" is really helpful to learning and gameplay, and as players get more comfortable, there's a lot more "if you can do this to me, then I can do this other big thing right now".

But I imagine six experienced players shouldn't have as much trouble, like others have said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With 3p i already tought the game goes longer than i want, and the things to move and keep track of also get HUGE! With 4 or more players i would go crazy of ap, downtime and keeping track of everything. (and you would need a massive table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
Justice_Bolt wrote:
Man, i would never ever want to play with 5-6 players.5 players taking their turn before your next turn..wow. I hope people already know to play the game because it will last 4 hours.

Why are you waiting for people to take their turns? There are no individual player turns? Yes, you need to resolve all cards in some sort of order, but in theory, that's one of the shortest parts of the game.

Quote:

I don’t even know why they annnounced a 6 player expansion. Just to please the fans i guess? Because it certainly don’t play well with six, no way unless everyone is familiar with the game.
(It’s my favorite game ever by the way..)

Because some people have played it with six and enjoyed it? Because some people would like two more boards? Because at that point the added cost of "six players" is some extra cardboard and plastic pieces? The degree of opposition to this idea is strange to me. If you don't want it, fine, but it's really not that hard to grasp why other people do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Zlarp wrote:
I'm wondering if the additional playmat and tokens are worth buying just to have one big massive game going. It sounds like it'd be fun.

Has anyone tried it yet?

If you're just looking for a massive game, I'd suggest buying a 2nd copy of the base game (and 26 wooden discs in your choice of new colors for Presence) over the playmat + piecepack. It's barely more expensive, gets you a lot more pieces (including extra energy/fear, which the piecepack doesn't have), lets you play 5+ player on the balanced boards, gives you the flexibility to play two parallel games if desired, and if a pet chews up your Cleansing Floods you have a ready replacement. If you're playing with Branch & Claw you can leave 1 copy of the base game as-is (for easy teaching) and the other with B&C intermixed; if you're playing without Branch & Claw you have a 2nd set of Minor Powers you can bring in if the deck starts getting too thin. (Not likely, but in a 6p game where Gift of Power is taken early and flogged, it can start getting sparse.)

It's not strictly better - it doesn't have the playmat's aesthetics, doesn't provide the thematic SE/SW boards, and I think it does cost slightly more.

Quote:
(A bunch of discussion of 5+p games)

My experience with 5+ player games is that they can be visually overwhelming for newer players (even 4p games dance near that border), but that experienced players do fine with them. Note: "do fine with" isn't the same is "like"; tastes vary! There are people who consider 2p the sweet-spot for Spirit Island, and others who consider 5-6p best.

In my playgroups, 5-6p increases playtime some, but not by the same amount as the 1->2, 2->3, or 3->4 steps: for most of the game, there are large swaths of the board you just can't reach and don't need to pay much attention to as a result. (This is less true for the more central Spirits and more true for those closer to the periphery, so if you have some players who AP more than others, don't put them in the middle.) If you want to exaggerate this separation you can deliberately make a less-compact / long-and-strung-out island.

(It's also heavily player-dependent; I ran a 5p playtest a few weeks ago where one person had only played twice, and never with the tokens from Branch & Claw. She did fine. I've had other folks who've played 10-15 times but only ever with 2 players battle moderate brainfreeze during their first 4p game.)

If playing with Branch & Claw, Choice Events can take longer to resolve, as there are more potential contributors; this is especially true if some players haven't played with Events much and are trying to wrap their heads around consequences / tradeoffs. (Normal Events don't take more time if everyone handles their own board.)

Larger games *do* have a different timbre from the smaller 2-3p games, both due to the feel of lots-of-people and because of that geographical separation. It amps up the "you can't pay attention to everything" aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.