Hide
12 Posts

Fallout» Forums » General

Subject: A few beginner questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools

Thanks for replying! I have a playthrough of a few turns ( I mean rounds ) under my belt, in which obviously we did some things wrong. After that another read through of the rules provided very insightfull. A few questions remain!

1) Do enemies spawn as active or inactive?

2) The ' Trash ' ability basically means it's a one time use card?

3) When ' adding ' to a deck the amount of cards added is always the number of players, unless specified by the card?

4) When tokens such as enemies are discarded, do you form a seperate discard pile? or just throw it back in with the rest?

5) Gaining xp : one always needs to jump the same amount of xp to gain one level?

6) One question about game play : it seems to be quite handy to be well rested, especially at the start when you have little items/armour/special skills to rely on re rolls? Or am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1st: all is explained either in the reference, either in learn to play (or both)
Learn to play
Reference

1) inactive (learn to play page 11)

2) yes (except if it's re-added by another card, but I don't think it's the case)

3) I don't understand the question. You only add one card (the numbered card you had to add). Or are you refering to the shuffling when adding? ( (learn to play page 8 -> right yellow box)

4) this one is well hidden in (learn to play page 11): " (...)it is returned to the supply. Then, you take a random enemy of the same type from the supply (...)" --> 1, you put it in the ennemy stack, then you randomize (shuffle), then you draw (yes it might be the same)... Personally, I don't like this rule, I just put it at the bottom of my stack

5) (learn to play page 14 - the drawing says it all) no, you need to jump your special token. so, level 0 to level one: 3 jumps. from 0, you jump your first token, then the second (2)... then one more to get back to 0... then you get your level... from level 1 to 2, 4 xp, then 5, then 6, etc

6) well rested is an often forgotten trait for beginner that is UBER important yeah... it may even help you not getting addicted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Sringoot wrote:

Thanks for replying! I have a playthrough of a few turns ( I mean rounds ) under my belt, in which obviously we did some things wrong. After that another read through of the rules provided very insightfull. A few questions remain!

1) Do enemies spawn as active or inactive?

Active when revealing a new tile with Explore action, inactive when placed after killing an enemy.

Quote:
2) The ' Trash ' ability basically means it's a one time use card?

Yes.

Quote:
3) When ' adding ' to a deck the amount of cards added is always the number of players, unless specified by the card?

Yes.

Quote:
4) When tokens such as enemies are discarded, do you form a seperate discard pile? or just throw it back in with the rest?

Discard pile and when draw pile is empty shuffle discard pile.

Quote:
5) Gaining xp : one always needs to jump the same amount of xp to gain one level?

No. Each level up requires one more XP than the previous one (unless you gain multiple levels on one turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
Thanks a lot for the answers!

About 1) what with enemies that start on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Learn to play, page 5: Setup: they begin faceup (active) --> bottom right paragraph

jhsa wrote:

even if I play the game this way, I clearly disagree, since the rules clearly states that it return to "the supply", being the ennemy's type stack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Aarcana wrote:
Learn to play, page 5: Setup: they begin faceup (active) --> bottom right paragraph

jhsa wrote:

even if I play the game this way, I clearly disagree, since the rules clearly states that it return to "the supply", being the ennemy's type stack

True. It makes more sense to reshuffle the discarded token with the rest so you could draw the same one next, especially with those monster types with just 4 monsters.

But,
Rules Reference, Page 5, Component Limitations wrote:
When the loot deck, asset deck, agenda deck, or stack of enemy tokens of one type is depleted, players shuffle that deck or stack’s discard pile to create a new facedown deck or stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jhsa wrote:

But,
Rules Reference, Page 5, Component Limitations wrote:
When the loot deck, asset deck, agenda deck, or stack of enemy tokens of one type is depleted, players shuffle that deck or stack’s discard pile to create a new facedown deck or stack.

Oooh, nice one...
When I said this one was well hidden

Thanks dude

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I see a lot of youtubers get wrong is they try to remember specifically where enemies come from when the rules say ...

Quote:
When you kill an enemy ...
... you take a random enemy of the same type from the supply and place it facedown on the closest matching icon on the map that does not already have an enemy of that type on it.

no need for remembering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
An additional gameplay question after a Commonwealth playthrough ( Solo )

I started doing the main quest, supporting the railroad. The quests were fairly easy, I happened to get lucky with SPECIAL skills matching the quest skills.

Before I knew it ( minor spoiler ) I finished the main quest, giving many + to the railroad faction, ending the game.

At that point I had 1 agenda card ( 1 influence ) and the agenda card gave me an additional 3 or 4 influence. So I had 4/5 when the game ended. Out of 11.

I did not encounter an option to get more agenda cards, apart from the GECK item. Something I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agenda cards (and influence points on them) seem to be mostly rewarded for accomplishments of side quests, not for the main quest cards. Main quest cards usually "reward" the players by advancing the faction markers on the power track. So in the early phases of the game it's wise to focus on the side quests more than on the main quest, until you gather some agenda cards, and later go back to the main quest and help your chosen faction (or maybe both factions if you don't care which faction related agenda cards you have) to reach enough power for your Agenda cards to generate a number of influence necessary for your victory. That may be relatively easy in a solo game, but if there are more players, every player has his own plan with the factions and you all compete for accomplishment of influence rewarding side quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
Thanks - insightfull!

Do you recommend the commonwealth scenario for a new group of players? ( doing a 3 men game tonight, only I have some experience )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Commonwealth has been designed as the easiest introductory scenario. Even the Learn to Play booklet recommends it for the first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.